[UPDATE] 'Steam Machine' Section Removed From Steam Page

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    I don't know how I really feel about this. I kind of worry this *might* (but not at all) put off developers porting games to GNU/Linux but at the same time Steam has no games.

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    As people are saying, I don't think the idea was bad, just a complete lack of focus on the concept. I'm sure some people would have like to update the console they have, rather than buy a whole new console. (i.e. PS4 vs PS4 Pro)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    It's too expensive and the price doesn't make any sense

4. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    There was never really a point to it. Linux runs games slower than on Windows, SteamOS was often buggy and didn't set up properly, and Steam machines are basically just prebuilts with the Steam name slapped onto them.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    While that may have been true in the Steam Machines'... er... prime?..., supposedly games using the Vulkan API actually run marginally better on Linux now

6. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    Forgot there was such a thing call Steam Machine. Now that I look this up a bit more, it was more like I didn't give a damn when I first saw the price tag.

7. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    As weak as the pc wannabe consoles such as PlayStation and Xbox are, they're a steal for their price, specially with pc hardware prices going boom . They went as low as $200 with 2 controllers last holidays, thats $100 for the hardware itself including the hdd. Which PC can you build for $100? lol

The steam boxes that many tried to make appear "the end of consoles", though, turned out to be an expensive grain of sand in the desert. I love playing PC games with a controller, on my couch, and would never buy one of these.

8. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Germany
    The whole concept was just flawed from the get go.
    With consoles you have only one box (or multiple iterations of the same box) that has set specs and every game you buy for the Box will run on that box. So that aspect of a Console was ruined once Valve started shitting out multiple Steam machines all with different specs and different prices which is no different than buying a pre build PC which is more expensive than just building one yourself. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to it.
    What valve should've done is just one box with maybe upgradeable parts (like GPU)? and then 6~8 Years later release a second box that is more up to date. Not like 30 at once.

At least we got the Steam Controller out of this. I love that controller.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    lol did anyone actually care about this? no one ok than business as usual :P

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    It really depends on the engine. Unity and gamemaker-based programs are but a click away to compile the code for linux. Larger studios have their own engine that's all tweaked for windows (meaning: makes full support of directx). Porting a game takes much longer, and I guess it doubles test times (of games with a larger scope than indie titles) as well. That's why small games are far more often found on linux.

I'm not sure what your last remark is meant to be...I guess it's an error, because you must be the very first person in about ten years saying that steam has no games. :unsure:

Note: strictly speaking, it's not true of linux steam games either. that list is well comparable to the amount of games for real consoles. It just appears small because it has no exclusives and a lot of known AAA-titles run only on windows.
    (for comparison: steam currently has 2696 linux games...a number larger than any traditional console thus far).

Last edited by Taleweaver, Apr 3, 2018
    CuriousTommy and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    I was hoping someone would hack steamOS to get free games

The problem with hacking consoles is that eventually the games stop being updated or new releases are unavailable on older consoles but with a PC the games are always released and updated

But I guess it’s impossible anyways cuz of the way linux is built

12. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    The problem with the steam machines can be summarized in the following points:
    • They ran Linux. - As much as I am a fan of Linux, the majority of AAA games nowadays are still being released for Windows only. Indies are better in this regard, but I'll admit that my sheer love for the indie scene is a bit of an acquired taste.
    • Requiring stupidly high specs. I can't dig up the exact trickery on the exact specs, but they required every Steam machine to have at least 1TB of space allocated to it and a powerful GPU and CPU. For a regular computer this is fine, for what essentially is a souped up console except for Steam games, it's overkill.
    • SteamOS in general was just a plain mess, effectively being a neutered debian with everything you would find on a normal OS removed. Seriously, if you want to experience SteamOS, install debian and use a lightDM session file to start steam in big picture mode. I can guarantee you it's exactly the same experience and it's even better since it still works as a normal device.
    With all the frankest politeness, have you hit your head. It's a Linux operating system. It's not some bloody custom designed OS made by Valve like Horizion or the PS firmware.

What you're effectively saying is that you want someone to hack Steam.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...it's an operating system. Steam starts automatically, but you can just quit it and fiddle around with it. I'm not sure what your definition of hacking is, but you're setting it as low as "download a torrent client, torrent some warez and install them"...then yeah: I can "hack" steamOS to get free games. And so can you.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    All Alienware Steam Machines offer Windows as stock unless you choose otherwise, and the other Steam Machines that used to be on offer the past few years always had Windows as stock unless customized. Unfortunately, it's hard to find much info any longer because nobody sells them anymore :lol: Looks like Alienware and Syber are the only two retailers who actually still have some kind of "Steam" brand PC, with Alienware still offering Windows and it looks like Syber does actually offer SteamOS.

Not entirely sure where you got this idea, because most of the Steam machines "base" offerings were garbage tier specs. Alienware's "base" is a dual core 6th gen i3, 4GB of RAM, a GTX 960, and 500GB HDD. Not exactly what I would call "powerful specs".

Their prototypes might've had big fancy specs (I remember one of them had a Titan in it :lol:), but that wasn't the requirements to actually be a Steam Machine. AFAIK there weren't any official requirements, beyond perhaps having to put a Valve logo on your case or something along those lines.

15. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    The idea that the company that dominates the pc market would be coming out with a "console" that would essentially play pc games without having to pour a couple grand into the setup was great. I was highly sceptical, but if anyone could do it, it's the company that arguably has a monopoly as "THE" pc game marketplace.
    Welp, they failed. Not much more to say other than...what happened to that epic atari system that was coming out?

16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Still on track for release later this year, supposedly, though there's no hard date. Although, if there's anything that could possibly pull of the "low end console-like PC" shtick in today's market, it's probably going to be that, followed by that concept "DreamCast 2"

17. GorrillaRIBS

GorrillaRIBS Gigyas became tame

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    Wait DOOM got a linux port? Or are you just refereing to how well it runs in wine because of Vulkan? And all the indie games on linux aren't trash (Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter) but yeah there is a lot. There are some companies like Feral trying to bring windows games over though, and with Vulkan their recent ports have been top notch, so there is hope we'll see more linux releases if Vulkan really takes hold.

18. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Germany
    Reading the update it seems more like Valve is still invested in Steam OS but less so in the machines themselves.

CuriousTommy and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    if they wanted to make it they needed to have standards, like x specs needed for low model,y for medium and a for high, so all games would run on the desired setings on each machine, but nope they just licensed the logo to companys and they branded random computers as a steam machine lol, no to mention steam itself barely has any games, every game in there is also on windows so using any normal windows pc in the world connected to your tv would be the same...

no to mention the worst and crapiest one was 450$... every other one was like 700+ ... you cant compete with consoles with those price tags.

Last edited by pedro702, Apr 5, 2018
  20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    See the posts after that, I did indeed forget DOOM didn't see an actual Linux port, it's just got very good WINE support.

As to Feral, they do some good work porting games over to Linux, but unfortunately it's still "not enough" to really push Linux gaming into a viable platform. They've only ported around 20ish games since they started Linux ports 5 or 6 years ago, which is a good amount to be fair, but what we really need are the original developers themselves pushing Vulkan and Linux support during the original development cycle. Which is, unfortunately, something that doesn't seem too likely these days.