[UPDATE] 'Steam Machine' Section Removed From Steam Page

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 2, 2018.

1. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Everyone knows all the cool kids use cryamore machines. (Still waiting for Cryamore to be released.)

PS - Something did come from Steam Machines. A lot of companies that would have never considered port to Linux ported to "SteamOS" because they didn't want to risk being left out of a potentially burgeoning market. So, yea, I've got a lot more native Linux games than I would have had otherwise. Steam Machines themselves though were always a bad idea.

Last edited by kuwanger, Apr 5, 2018
  2. GorrillaRIBS

GorrillaRIBS Gigyas became tame

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    Fair point - even with bethesda/id/machinegames (unsure who makes this desicion) pushing Vulkan they aren't actively porting their games to linux, and not many developers seem too keen on using it over DirectX. I'm still optimistic that it'll see more commercial use though given that it supports pretty much every major OS, so hopefully more developers will use it as it could open up more (though significantly smaller) markets for hopefully not too much extra cost, assuming the rest of the game would translate well (i.e. a UE4 game that supports vulkan would probably be easier to port, as both support linux already). Outside of official support, Vulkan brought about dxvk, which is another compatability layer in WINE that makes d3d11 games run much better on linux, so even if it's never widely adopted at least we have that.

3. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    The idea was doomed from the beginning due to the fact that you could get a desktop 3 times more powerful at half the price, rather than a "steam machine" with an Alienware logo on it.

PC gamers like graphics and Frames per Second. Not overpriced logos.

Last edited by WhiteMaze, Apr 5, 2018
  4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I read that Valve is working with both AND and Nvidia to develop improved gaming drivers for Linux, as well as porting over common APIs.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    A company with Valve's R&D budget was "invested" in essentially Linux and this is all we got? OK then.

6. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Steam Machines = Virtual Boy? /s

Mnecraft368 likes this.