UPDATE: Regarding the recent 3DS banwave

fb-3ds-400x400.jpg

It appears that users are being banned from 3DS online services, en masse. There's no direct cause right now, and seemingly no linking factor. This post is meant as an announcement for users, to be wary, and that GBAtemp will keep you updated as soon as more info rolls in. If you have been banned, please post in the thread below, and we will try to keep tabs on the situation. To be extra sure, it can't hurt to turn off your 3DS's wireless capabilities, so you might as well do that for now.

Edit 1: it appears that e-Shop access isn't restricted if you are banned.

Edit 2: A caller to Nintendo reported that the company said this ban is due to "unauthorized software usage".

Edit 3: @LinkSoraZelda is collecting info. Contact him if you are banned.

Edit 4: Click and fill this out if you were BANNED.

Edit 5:
[11:28:19 PM] Clector: Curiously the page of that error in Nintendo Support website used to have this:Error Code: 002-0102 Situation: You receive the error code 002-0102 when attempting to connect online. What to Do: If you continue to experience this issue, please contact Nintendo by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Pacific Time, 7 days a week.
[11:28:44 PM] Clector: Now it says this: What to Do: If you are experiencing this error code, your Nintendo 3DS family system has been banned due to unauthorized system modifications, play of unauthorized versions of one or more games, and/or connecting to the official game servers in violation of our terms of service. This ban is effective immediately and requests to remove the ban will not be processed.
Thanks to @Joom

Edit 6: Aurora Wright is taking another poll here

Edit 7: Not a lot is known but

There are bans happening, they are happening in all regions.
All models in the 3ds family seem to be candidates for banning.
There is no indication they will be anything other than permanent.
A game or DLC may end up being a cause but there is no one game or DLC that ties banned users together.
The cause or causes are as yet unknown, though it does seem to be related to modifications. Reports of unmodified consoles being banned are as yet unproven.
The banning is tied to something you can modify, thus you can unban. Doing it while the causes are unknown is likely only going to burn a working token though.
There are semi public tokens out there, Nintendo knows how to browse a forum as well as you so don't be surprised if they also get banned.
It does not seem to be limited to a given base firmware version, it does not seem to be limited to any one custom firmware type. There is some speculation that older hacking methods are not being hit as hard but nothing to confirm this yet.
The data collection could have happened this morning, or it could have been months in the making.
A simple check to see is checking your friends list, by itself it will not ban you.
Some are turning their wifi off. It is doubtful this will be of much use and being banned does not seem to come with any downsides that wifi being off will not also mimic.
You may have escaped a ban thus far but it could happen at any point. It could be that they stop in the future, it has happened on other consoles, but you would be living in hope rather than any particularly well founded logic.
The bans are done on the side of Nintendo's servers rather than your 3ds so there is also that.

If you hack your devices/games then their online functionality may be troubled. This has been known for decades, Nintendo seems to have finally caught up with that.

Please continue to share information with the thread or the links in previous edits.

Update 5/30

HOW TO HELP AVOID BANS (we think)​

If I was to guess from the information we have gathered since the ban wave, it seems likely that they are looking for TitleIDs that don't exist. Homebrew shows up in the activity log as the Download Play app, and fake CIA's show up as just ??????. That last one is what I'm guessing they are looking for.

If you are not banned yet or before you unban yourself, go into your friends list, choose settings, and turn off the option to "show friends what game you are playing." This will prevent you from playing games online with friends, so turn it back on when you wanna game with someone, but ALWAYS keep it off when running custom CIAs. Next, go into system settings -> internet settings -> spotpass, and turn off BOTH options. One is auto download software, the other sends system information to Nintendo. Also, make sure you don't have your favorite title set to something stupid like FBI or any other non-Nintendo CIA.

Its VERY likely that these options are what tipped off Nintendo, but we aren't 100% certain yet. The amount of banned people that had one of these options turned on was over 80% for each. If I was to assume that some of those people overlap, its very possible (but not confirmed) that 100% of banned people in the survey had at least one of those options turned on. I personally had all of them off and I have TONS of reasons for Nintendo to ban me.... yet I am not banned (yet).

Another bit of advice: Only run custom CIAs when offline, and after you close them, run a "legit" game like Smash Bros. or something before shutting down or going back online. This way your most recent title won't show up as a fake CIA

Current Theories as to what causes a ban
* SpotPass Settings: 8 users out of 46 users that were banned have SpotPass completely shut off, or SpotPass only (no friends list visibility)
* Firmware Version (Luma, Nintendo): Literally all reports ranged from 10.2+, I can get exact numbers for this if you'd like, but all firmwares were affected.
* Firmware Type (A9LH, B9S): 44 of the 126 B9S users that answered were banned, pattern was mirrored for A9LH users as well.
* Homebrew Titles such as FBI, HBL, Luma Updater, Themely, and freeShop: Literally about 98% of users both banned and unbanned had some combination of these applications installed. However the common ones were: FBI, HBL, LumaUpdater and NTR.
* Save Modification: Equal amounts of users on both sides have reported save modification in some form, either with PKSM or another save editor
* System Transfers: 188 users said that they had not previously system transfered, 61 of those users were banned; 16 users said they transferred from a hacked console, only three of them received a ban; 13 said they transferred from a stock system and likewise were banned. The rest of our sample did not answer this question.
* Activity Log Information: A majority of those who have not been banned have said they had NOT cleaned their activity logs. I can get exact numbers for this too on request.

This information is just what I've found. Like I said, there could be variables or things we haven't even checked for yet. But these are things that I feel should be disproven, at least with the current dataset we have.

• From the information that we've gathered from some people that have used a packet sniffer such as WireShark, the following data is sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers as soon as the 3DS connects to the internet:
    • Amount of time spent online (timer stops when either the system is disconnected from the internet, or connection drops out, then starts the timer again in a new session when it reconnects to the internet).
    • The game being played and amount of time spent on it during that session.
    • The console's unique hexadecimal ID used in the LocalFriendCodeSeedB, along with it's RSA-signed signature.
    • The console's serial number in which is broadcasted from the SoC and is hard coded in the SoC.
    • Friend Code generated on the Nintendo 3DS system, if one has been generated.
    • Internet connection status (either online or offline).
    • The Nintendo Network ID, if there is one linked to it.
    • Even if the sending of SpotPass Information is switched off, or even hiding your currently playing games. It does not prevent the system from sending currently playing information to Nintendo's online gaming servers, it only hides it from your friends in your friend list (like being invisible on the forum, while mods and admins can still see you). Why? Because even people without a Friend Code on their system have been getting banned too!

• The following data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers:
    • The data from the Nintendo 3DS's Activity Log. Oddly enough, while Nintendo does explicitly state that they collect Activity Log data, they're actually referring to their own server's Activity Log, which always tracks every console's online activity, and keeps a record of them that is stored forever. And is only collected in increments of data through a timer and a currently playing list.
    • Games or apps that have not been played, regardless if they're legitimate or not. You only get tracked when you're online and using that game or app.
    • Using games or apps while offline. Even though it is stored on the 3DS console's Activity Log, that data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers.
    • Custom Firmware. Though we can't rule out the possibility of them releasing a 3DS update in the future that adds such function to collect MD5 hashes of files and FIRM data and send them to Nintendo online gaming servers (which would also be updated in a maintenance).

• Things that people think what happens with consoles, but really doesn't:
    • "LocalFriendCodeSeedB is transferred to the system upon doing a system transfer". This is false, the LocalFriendCodeSeedB remains on the system and does not move to another system.
    • "The console generates a LocalFriendCodeSeedB upon first startup". Again, this is false, the LocalFriendCodeSeedB is made during the manufacturing process at Foxconn. It is generated at the factory, flashed to the NAND flash memory storage, then created as an account on Nintendo's online gaming server and Nintendo eShop server immediately when being manufactured. It is absolutely impossible to generate a LocalFriendCodeSeedB and be able to connect to Nintendo's online gaming server and/or Nintendo eShop server, even if you knew the RSA generation key for it. You'd end up with Error Code 002-0102 "This console's online services have been restricted by Nintendo" if you even tried (the error can either mean two things: The hexadecimal ID doesn't exist on the server, or the request to access the hexadecimal ID has been denied which in other words... banned). So a LocalFriendCodeSeedB generator will NEVER happen! Because it's not worth doing, if it can't connect.
    • Switching off "Currently Playing" information. Once again, this does not hide your online activity from Nintendo's online gaming server, it only hides it from your friends.
    • Switching off SpotPass. Nope, this too doesn't hide your online activity from Nintendo's online gaming server, it only opts-out of receiving SpotPass data, sorry.

So pretty much the bottom line is, if anyone has been using custom apps and/or titles not installed through Nintendo eShop while online in the past, guess what? You're screwed! And it is only a matter of time before your console's unique hexadecimal ID in the LocalFriendCodeSeedB is banned from Nintendo's online gaming server. This will mean, your console can't access the Friend List or play any online functions in games.

If you have been online while using custom apps and/or titles not installed through Nintendo eShop and haven't been banned yet, that's because Nintendo hasn't caught up to you yet. They're still going through each unique hexadecimal ID's Activity Log on their server, and by Activity Log, I mean the Activity Log on their server, not the 3DS console's activity log. And it will be only a matter of time before you're banned too.

Thanks to @Platinum Lucario @MadMageKefka and @ShadowEO !

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Havent followed this topic for a while. Is the ban wave still a thing? Is it safe to come out of my hiding and enable wi-fi? I suppose not, but wanted to ask anyway
I am not totally sure if it's still going or not. My Goat system is still unbanned despite obviously being online with FBI running, but some people have reported bans after Friday night. So either these were delayed banning or Nintendo is just spot banning at random.
Regardless, disable spotpass and keep your online activities at a low for the time being or at least until the reports stop rolling in.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not totally sure if it's still going or not. My Goat system is still unbanned despite obviously being online with FBI running, but some people have reported bans after Friday night. So either these were delayed banning or Nintendo is just spot banning at random.
Regardless, disable spotpass and keep your online activities at a low for the time being or at least until the reports stop rolling in.

Well I am still unbanned despite having spotpass sharing on "recently". That being said, I hadn't played my 3ds in a couple of weeks and the first thing I did on hearing of the banwave was to turn off spotpass/friend sharing and clear my play time history with cthulhu after temporairly disabling my router (using dhcp release). After that I got all my pokemon out of the bank which worked just fine and have been checking once a day if I am banned via netflix/youtube/mk7 online play/mario maker 100 mario challenge. I have not accessed the friends app since the banwave except once to turn off sharing.

EDIT: mk7 is a "legit cia"

Last edited by nl255,

Slashkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
report in
We are keep to play online for the experiment. No one banned yet. But some people from our community decided to turn on the console and check the ban (they was scared to make it early). 2 of them was not banned, and rest of them got a ban.

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently waiting to unban my console with a fresh seed, so I'm interested in seeing if someone who hadn't been banned since the wave started a few days ago has found himself banned recently. Getting a few reports would be a good way to see if the banwave has stopped... for now, at least.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've always had spotpass disabled, and the same goes for friends list showing running app. I had the chance to set up 4 more consoles for people and I used the same philosophy. I am currently out of country but when I will go back, I'm going to check up on all my clients. Unless they did stuff like playing online with out of region or eshop-only titles that they didn't buy, I'd expect all their consoles to be fine. If it's true it will only reinforce my take on the link between Spotpass and bans.

Reactions: Deleted User

Zekamon

Now with extra salt!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Status of my main and only ( :( ) 3DS

N3DS - 11.4.0-37E
Linked NNID

History:
Around end of 2015 - HBL with Browserhax on 10.3 (I think)

Around end of 2016 - Installed A9LH with Slowhax + Safehax using Phalects 3ds.guide

Currently - A9LH + Luma 7.0 (can't check complete version number)

This is my personal 3DS, I've used it plenty times for normal gaming but haven't used online gaming that much. Active Homebrew usage. Last time used online gaming: Around 5 months ago for Pokemon Sun Battles with friends.

My HB apps and HB Games:
FBI [Standalone] (Started 40 times, Usagetime: 5:26)
Homebrew Launcher Loader (Started 59 times)
Luma3DS Updater (No Activity Log Data)
freeShop (Started 39 times, Usagetime: 11:02)
Boot NTR Selector (Started 29 times)
TWLoader (Started 11 times, Playtime: 0:36)
Super Haxagon (Started 8 times, Playtime: 0:20)
OpenSyobon3DS (Started 2 times, Playtime 0:02)
OCDM (Started 1 time, Usagetime: 0:01)
PKSM (Started 8 times, Usagetime: 0:26)
tikSweep (Started 1 time)
Custom Version Setter (Started 12 times, Usagetime: 0:36)
ButtonSwap3DS (R Button remapped to L+B Buttons) (Started 3 times)

Deleted but recorded apps:
BootNTR (Started 2 times)
PCSX ReARMed (Started 2 times, Playtime 0:02)
Homebrew Browser (Started 3 times, Usagetime: 1:00)
FBI [Injection] (Started 1 time, Usagetime: 0:03)

(Every Homebrew App and Game (except Luma3DS Updater) is in the Activity Log since I got them)

I've never edited my saves even though I have PKSM and OCDM. I've never cheated online and offline. I pirated around 19 games (not counting VC Injects)

Last played games:
Animal Crossing (legit): New Leaf: A few minutes ago. Just regular offline play by my sister. Never save edited or modified.

Mario Kart 7 (pirated): Also played by my sister a few hours ago. Also normal offline play without cheats and mods.

Tomodachi Life (legit): Some days ago played by me. Never save edited in that game.

I have as well pirated and legit digital games and of course also legit physical games.

Streetpass:
Active in every game that I own and used Streetpass.

Friend List:
Favourite Title: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (legit)

Settings since 2 days:
Show friends when you're online? [Yes]
Show friends what you're playing? [No]

Before:
Show friends when you're online? [Yes]
Show friends what you're playing? [Yes]

Friends: 9

Spotpass:
Paritally active

Every game I own that uses Spotpass is active
System Settings - Spotpass: Both options deactivated.

My online behavior:
Couldn't use online for almost 3 weeks because of really slow internet.

Used Online Play for around one times a month but used the Browser often.

I haven't used the eShop or Miiverse since I got freeShop.

Last edited by Zekamon,

xtrac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My N3dsXL a9LH/Luma isnt banned yet even though "sending information to Nintendo" was always on, even before installing a9lh (and its still on because its very unlikely it isnt flagged yet) Ive used freeshop for a title update (nothing else) and have a lot of pirated shit on it (mostly cartridge cias but also some eshop exclusives) but havent used my 3DS a lot (the "too much to choose problem").

Does anyone else think that redeeming some eshop cards (and buying some Nintendo-made games) might delay/save you from the banhammer?

Zekamon

Now with extra salt!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My N3dsXL a9LH/Luma isnt banned yet even though "sending information to Nintendo" was always on, even before installing a9lh (and its still on because its very unlikely it isnt flagged yet) Ive used freeshop for a title update (nothing else) and have a lot of pirated shit on it (mostly cartridge cias but also some eshop exclusives) but havent used my 3DS a lot (the "too much to choose problem").

Does anyone else think that redeeming some eshop cards (and buying some Nintendo-made games) might delay/save you from the banhammer?
Probably not. If you steal in a shop and buy a Snickers there the next morning they will still make your pay, call the police etc.

Reactions: Slashkin

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's do this.

System:
New 3DS XL, 11.4

Firmware: Boot9Hax, upgraded day-one from a9lh

Legit games: all 3DS Pokémon titles (cartridges), Zelda: Ocarina of Time (cartridge), Zelda: Majora's Mask (cartridge), Super Smash Bros 3DS (cartridge), Super Mario Maker (cartridge, but installed from dumped CIA for convenience), Zelda: Link Between Worlds (digital), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (digital), Steam World Dig (digital), Colors! 3D (digital), Pokémon Dream Radar (digital-only), Pokémon Red (digital-only), Pokémon SM Demo + DS games (cartridges)

Non-legit games: Pokemon Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green; Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mega Man X (VC), Mario Kart 7, Persona Q + DLC, Steam World Heist, Shovel Knight, Kirby's Dream Course (VC), Grump's Dream Course (VC), Super Mario World (VC), Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga (VC), Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (VC), Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (VC), Zelda: Minish Cap (VC), Zelda: Oracle of Seasons&Ages (VCs), Zelda: Link to the Past + installed multiple themes (cia)

Homebrew apps: FBI, FTP-GMX, PKSM, JKSV, TWL Save Tool, Luma Updater, CIAngel, tikSweep, Boot NTR Selector, Input Redirection NTR, PHBankGB;
Note: I don't have the Homebrew Launcher.

Online activity: No NNID on this system, as the console's device ID was banned in the SM wave. I've recovered from that aside from losing the NNID and the PokéBank I had. Friend List is empty - I have changed my Friend Code many times in the Friend Safari times. I only go online on Pokémon titles, pretty much, with only one of my Moon games being connected to Global Link.

Plenty to warrant a ban or at least arouse suspicion. Not banned.

But wait, there's more!

System:
2DS, 11.4

Firmware: Boot9Hax, upgraded day-one from a9lh

Legit games: all 3DS Pokémon titles (cartridges), Zelda: Ocarina of Time (cartridge), Zelda: Majora's Mask (cartridge), Super Smash Bros 3DS (cartridge), Super Mario Maker (cartridge), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (digital), Pokémon Dream Radar (digital-only), Pokémon Blue and Yellow (digital-only), Pokémon SM Demo + DS games (cartridges)
Note: Had purchased FIELDRUNNERS (since deleted) for downgrading

Non-legit games: Pokemon Red, Shovel Knight, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons&Ages (VCs).

Homebrew apps: FBI, PKSM, JKSV, TWL Save Tool, Luma Updater, CIAngel, tikSweep, CONFIG, DEVMENU;
Note: I don't have the Homebrew Launcher.

Online activity: Have an NNID on this one. Friend List is empty. Again, I only go online on Pokémon titles.

Could the bans have anything to do with:
a) people connecting to the Internet with non-updated games?
b) people accessing eShop on non-latest firmware?
c) people having FBI (or anything else) injected into Health&Safety?

Last edited by eworm,

Zekamon

Now with extra salt!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could the bans have anything to do with people connecting to the Internet with non-updated games and/or accessing eShop on non-latest firmware?

Nah I don't so. A friend of mine was always up-to-date on his 3DS till he got banned. But if there are a lot of reasons for the Band it could be one of them.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally don't post stuff regarding my info but...
N3DS XL - Sys 11.4.0-37u (was always Online not anymorr duh)
NNID Status: nnid linked

Currently - a9lh + 3dsafe+luma 7.0
Before - menu hax +reinand

My homebrew cia:
Luma Updater (recently deleted since it didn't work with my setup aka bootanim9), HBLauncher, FBI (installed into health app), free shop, Ciangel, JKSM, bootNTR selector.

My homebrew through hbl:
Themely, the other theme one, pksm, for those who walk a lot, ctrxplorer, ftp Brony(w.e it called), sploit installer for zelda.

Other non legit cia:
Fire emblem fates(haven't played it but spot pass was on for it and dlc installed), fire emblem awakening(haven't played it but spot pass was on and dlc installed), all pokemon games except moon, y and omega ruby. Monster Hunter Generations, fire emblem sacred stones, smash+dlc, Mario kart 7, Mario 3d land, new Super Mario.

Legit cia:
Pokemon moon, y and omega ruby, zelda oot, monster hunter 4u, pokebank, poke transporter, fire emblem echoes shadows of valentia(but did try to install dlc through ciaangel and freeshop didn't work even tried connecting online by just installing tickets but it just removed it)

Last played games:
Fire emblem echoes, pokemon moon and pokebank on Tuesday morning when I read of banwave and moved all my pokemon from pokebank.

Streetpass:
All played games

Friend List:
Favorite Title: moon
Settings : only share with friends but turned it off now.
Friends: 5

Spotpass:
Has always been off in setting but was on for some individual clas like fire emblem fates which I have now turned off.

Cheat:

If there's a plugins for a game I've used it, there's a save editor I've used it... so pretty much for all my games but never online those people are scum.

Online behavior:
Hardly ever play online my 3ds was always connected to the Internet but I never played online. I would actually use Internet for Pokebank or if I found someone to trade with previously or to enter a pokemon code and that's pretty much it. I go months without using online services then use it once or twice then go more months without it.

Edit: forgot to mention I also installed all dlc for mii plaza illegitimately and now I have WiFi turned off and only turn if on when I leave for streetpass or for my daily check to see if I'm banned.

Edit 2: forgot to mention that whether it was legit or not I updated all my games through eshop.

Last edited by lonewolf08,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is there any actual highly like data to suggest this? I'm sure a lot of banned users weren't doing using eshop or Pokémon Bank when they were banned.

Do we know that? Downloading updates also erases Streetpass games.

We don't know how long Nintendo has been keeping tabs, waiting to bring the hammer down.

toberkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could the bans have anything to do with:
a) people connecting to the Internet with non-updated games?
b) people accessing eShop on non-latest firmware?
c) people having FBI (or anything else) injected into Health&Safety?

1. Nope. Always up to date, never tried connecting without.
2. Always had latest on emunand.
3. Had it for 5 seconds there, then installed it as a cia ad restored it. Had wifi of while doing this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it only me?

3DS Hacked, worked fine, used it for a week and forgot him a bit. Then found out I'm banned. It's just annoying to KNOW u are banned, and can't play online. And I want to play online, because I can't. When I'm unbanned and all I bet I play online a few weeks and then forget the 3ds again.

Reactions: ItsMetaKnight

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
1. Nope. Always up to date, never tried connecting without.
2. Always had latest on emunand.
3. Had it for 5 seconds there, then installed it as a cia ad restored it. Had wifi of while doing this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it only me?

3DS Hacked, worked fine, used it for a week and forgot him a bit. Then found out I'm banned. It's just annoying to KNOW u are banned, and can't play online. And I want to play online, because I can't. When I'm unbanned and all I bet I play online a few weeks and then forget the 3ds again.

Slightly OT, but have you tried using the part where you hex edit secureinfo_a but don't mess with the friend code seed at all to see if it works to bypass this ban?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg