Hacking Update nag, save data question

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Gateway arrived recently, but there are a few questions I have before I start messing around with it.

I'd like to do the following:
  1. Get rid of the update nag
  2. Setup EmuNAND in order to update Smash Bros to the latest patch from the eShop
  3. Preserve save data on the games that I own, both eShop and cartridge
Are any of these mutually exclusive, or is there a way to do this?

From what I've read, the update nag can only be removed by performing a system format. Doing so will, presumably, delete my eShop games, Streetpass progress, friend code, and miscellaneous things like the map data from Persona Q, which is saved on the SD card.

The alternative is that I follow the EmuNAND sticky, which involves doing a system format on the EmuNAND in order to delink the sysNAND and EmuNAND folders. That means I'll be stuck with the system update nag every time I boot up the console. It's not a huge deal, but since I intend to keep playing games like Smash on the original cartridge, I would prefer to get rid of it to prevent an accidental update.

Any input on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section or has been answered before.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know for Update Nag but I need to know what your sysnand firmware is. If 5.0+ use Emunand to download the patch and run it either through Emunand or Sysnand, if 4.x-4.5 then download the patch and update to 8.1 (if you update turn wifi switch off).

manuslm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am in the same situation as you.

In case I want to install the EmuNAND and have an update nag, is it mandatory to format the 3DS before doing all the process? The Gateway guide says so, but I'd like to confirm as I don't want to lose all of my Streetpass data and savegames.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in the same situation as you.

In case I want to install the EmuNAND and have an update nag, is it mandatory to format the 3DS before doing all the process? The Gateway guide says so, but I'd like to confirm as I don't want to lose all of my Streetpass data and savegames.
If you don't care about the nag (remember accidentally hitting yes will give you a second prompt to confirm) there's no need to format. Just move everything off your SD card (except the launcher.dat) and format emunand. (You can then put your stuff back on your SD)

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick replies!

I don't know for Update Nag but I need to know what your sysnand firmware is. If 5.0+ use Emunand to download the patch and run it either through Emunand or Sysnand, if 4.x-4.5 then download the patch and update to 8.1 (if you update turn wifi switch off).

I'm on 9.2.x E. It sounds like setting up EmuNAND and then updating Smash Bros will be easy. Will I be able to play it updated on SysNAND, ie without using Gateway?

If you don't care about the nag (remember accidentally hitting yes will give you a second prompt to confirm) there's no need to format. Just move everything off your SD card (except the launcher.dat) and format emunand. (You can then put your stuff back on your SD)

I do care about the nag - it's annoying, but it's also a bit of a problem if someone else uses my system and goes ahead with it. If it's at all possible to get rid of it, I want to. Which brings me back to my problem of holding onto all of my save data.

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also downgrade your console then update it again with ssb. You won't lose anything in the process.

I am seriously considering doing the downgrade process, but it has the drawback of compatibility issues with games played outside of Gateway. The Gateway website also advises against doing it without a NAND flashing device, so if I were to go about that, I'd prefer to wait until they give it the all clear. For now, I'd rather stick with 9.2.

On the other hand, that does get rid of the update... I really just don't want to lose my saves or brick my console.

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 9.2.x E. It sounds like setting up EmuNAND and then updating Smash Bros will be easy. Will I be able to play it updated on SysNAND, ie without using Gateway?
I was wondering about this, too. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. If your sysNAND and emuNAND are still linked they would be saving to the same location, wouldn't they? I'd assume that includes eShop updates but would like to hear confirmation of this.

Since SSB and MH4 cause Gateway mode to crash when the games are exited, and because I need to stay on 9.2 sysNAND to keep playing my retail cart saves, I'm considering buying retail MH4 when it comes out here so I can play it in either sysNAND or emuNAND. That way I can still play that and any other retail carts when I don't have internet access to launch the GO exploit.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am seriously considering doing the downgrade process, but it has the drawback of compatibility issues with games played outside of Gateway. The Gateway website also advises against doing it without a NAND flashing device, so if I were to go about that, I'd prefer to wait until they give it the all clear. For now, I'd rather stick with 9.2.

On the other hand, that does get rid of the update... I really just don't want to lose my saves or brick my console.

That's why I'm telling you to update again just after the downgrade, so you won't lose your save.

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I'm telling you to update again just after the downgrade, so you won't lose your save.

Oh, I think I misunderstood. So you're saying, downgrade to 4.5, then use the update on the Smash Bros cartridge. Whatever the update is would be 9.2 or below, so I'd be on a safe firmware with no update nag.

That would certainly work to get rid of the nag. I'm worried that the downgrade process would still affect my saves/SD card content (because of the way SD card content is locked to the system - the downgrade would probably affect that), and it also has a risk of a brick, or of something else going wrong in the process. For that reason I'd rather put up with the nag until I can confirm the downgrade process is safe.

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about this, too. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. If your sysNAND and emuNAND are still linked they would be saving to the same location, wouldn't they? I'd assume that includes eShop updates but would like to hear confirmation of this.

Thing is, I'd almost certainly unlink my sysNAND and emuNAND, as it advises in the tutorials here. That leads me to suspect that the update gets saved in whatever NAND is currently running - so if I'm accessing the eShop of emuNAND, it will save the update there, and it will not be present in sysNAND. Which means I'll need to boot into emuNAND, I can't just plug my cartridge in and play on the latest update without using hacks.

Since SSB and MH4 cause Gateway mode to crash when the games are exited, and because I need to stay on 9.2 sysNAND to keep playing my retail cart saves, I'm considering buying retail MH4 when it comes out here so I can play it in either sysNAND or emuNAND. That way I can still play that and any other retail carts when I don't have internet access to launch the GO exploit.

The problem you might have is that if Monster Hunter gets an update, you'll need to access the eShop to play it online, or even locally with other people, as is the case with Smash Bros. In that case, even with a legit cartridge, you need to use hacks to obtain the update and keep playing it.

It's possible that not unlinking your two NANDs makes this possible, but I haven't read anything that confirms that. There seem to be drawbacks to keeping them linked, hence every guide advises that you unlink them.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, I think I misunderstood. So you're saying, downgrade to 4.5, then use the update on the Smash Bros cartridge. Whatever the update is would be 9.2 or below, so I'd be on a safe firmware with no update nag.

That would certainly work to get rid of the nag. I'm worried that the downgrade process would still affect my saves/SD card content (because of the way SD card content is locked to the system - the downgrade would probably affect that), and it also has a risk of a brick, or of something else going wrong in the process. For that reason I'd rather put up with the nag until I can confirm the downgrade process is safe.

It is, and if anything goes wrong you can sitll restore your current nand backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"