Hacking Update emunand to something below 9.6?

cynique

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I'm not sure what the problem was.
The following is the procedure I used to install my GW on the New3DS 9.0.0-20U:

1- Using OOT / GW 3.1.1, I backed up my original nand and copied the contents of the microSD cart to my PC.
2- I then created an emunand on a 64GB microSDXC, which had been formatted to FAT32. F/W on both sysnand and emunand were at 9.0.0-20U at this point.
3- I then noticed that the nice 3D video demo had disappeared from the Homescreen of both nands as a result of the GW creating the emunand on the cart.
4- I proceeded to delete the contents of the cart (IE: the "Nintendo 3DS" folder), and copy back the original folder that had come with the unit. I also copied back the GW 3.1.1 launcher.dat.
This made my emunand exactly like it was on the original nand before I created the emunand (with the 3D demo intact). But the sysnand still had lost the 3D demo. No big deal.
5- I now proceeded to unlink the emunand folder from the sysnand folder:
I did this by turning off the New3DS, removing the GW cart and microSD from the console, booting into the sysnand, formating it, and setting it like it was before, while all this time keeping the microSD card OUT of the unit.
I turned off the unit, put the microSD back into it and turned it back on. It created a folder for the sysnand separate from that of the emunand, just like I wanted.
6- I installed a few cia's, copying the savegames from the cia's on my Old3DS using SaveDataFiler. That worked very well.

So that's basically what I did before I decided to update the emunand to 9.5 :)
I did a bit differently.theres a sticky thread about transferring emu from one sd to another so for a 1:1 copy of your emunand you have to make an image of it with usb image tool and than restore it to other micro sd the same way you backed it up.After that with easuse you must expand the partition in your new micro sd to the right.

Reactions: Knaledge

Zenlight

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It also worked for me, but I had to remove lots of cia's from the folder to make it work.

I have a 9.0.0-20U New3DS and used 3DNUS v1.9 to generate the 9.5.0-23U folder.

Inside the folder I got 105 cia files, but everytime I tried to import them I got "invalid cia".
The problem was that only 34 of those were actually needed to update the emunand to 9.5 (the rest were 9.0.0-20 (stage2) cia's that were already in my 9.0.0 firmware).

I hope I've helped those of you who also got the "invalid cia" errors. You just need to get the list of files for 9.5 and remove the un-needed ones.

Thanks a million ground for your nice app.

Hi Pacman,

I am also in a similar situation as yours where using the 3DNUS for the USA Region. I also got 105 Files downloaded. May I know how do you identify the 34 files required for the firmware update?
Thanks.

Im not sure if its an issue with the program or perhaps just for USA region its not working well. I seen from various other sources that EU seems fine.

Pacman`

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Pacman,

I am also in a similar situation as yours where using the 3DNUS for the USA Region. I also got 105 Files downloaded. May I know how do you identify the 34 files required for the firmware update?
Thanks.

Im not sure if its an issue with the program or perhaps just for USA region its not working well. I seen from various other sources that EU seems fine.

Go here: http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php

Lookup this line:
03-02-15_07-05-11 9.5.0-23 New3DS Mon, 02 Mar 15 19:05:13 -0500

Click on 03-02-15_07-05-11, you will end up on:
http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=03-02-15_07-05-11&sys=ktr

On the first line of that table, click on CSV (or even 03-02-15_07-05-11) under Titlelist.
You will notice that the entries are only for USA, your region.

Another way would have been to look inside titlelist.csv that 3DNUS generated, but it includes all the regions.

Now, all you have to do is to remove the TitleID's that only have 9.0.0-20 (stage2) as the Update Version.
These were already in your 9.0.0-20 N3DS, so that's why BBM objected to them.

You will then be left with only 34 entries. Make sure you only copy those 34 cia's to a folder in your microSD card. Then do Import All and you won't get any "invalid cia " errors.
:grog:

Reactions: Zenlight

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
19817_849656258404747_993245824921439369_n.jpg

Just got it today.. 9.0 Sys.... 9.5 Emu.... All thanks to you muh good man.

ras2a

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but just tried the process to update my Emunand to 9.5 and all appears to be ok. However, I installed a game (Retro City Rampage) and am trying to download the latest update for it, but when I hit the eShop (whilst Emunand is loaded), I'm getting prompted to update the system software, which Obviously I don't want to do at this stage.

Is there a way to still use eShop for 'updates' using this version of Emunand, or do we need to wait until Gateway support the latest firmware?

Thanks guys
ras

Zenlight

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Go here: http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php

Lookup this line:
03-02-15_07-05-11 9.5.0-23 New3DS Mon, 02 Mar 15 19:05:13 -0500

Click on 03-02-15_07-05-11, you will end up on:
http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php?date=03-02-15_07-05-11&sys=ktr

On the first line of that table, click on CSV (or even 03-02-15_07-05-11) under Titlelist.
You will notice that the entries are only for USA, your region.

Another way would have been to look inside titlelist.csv that 3DNUS generated, but it includes all the regions.

Now, all you have to do is to remove the TitleID's that only have 9.0.0-20 (stage2) as the Update Version.
These were already in your 9.0.0-20 N3DS, so that's why BBM objected to them.

You will then be left with only 34 entries. Make sure you only copy those 34 cia's to a folder in your microSD card. Then do Import All and you won't get any "invalid cia " errors.
:grog:

Thanks Pacman

Managed to update to 9.5.0-23U on my N3DS console too.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, presuming its still possible to update like this?

I simply get the following error after a few seconds:

Downloading Firmware: 9.5.0-23EUR

Error downloading titlelist
Cant find an existing titlelist, this program quits

xnzv6e.jpg

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but just tried the process to update my Emunand to 9.5 and all appears to be ok. However, I installed a game (Retro City Rampage) and am trying to download the latest update for it, but when I hit the eShop (whilst Emunand is loaded), I'm getting prompted to update the system software, which Obviously I don't want to do at this stage.

Is there a way to still use eShop for 'updates' using this version of Emunand, or do we need to wait until Gateway support the latest firmware?

Thanks guys
ras

No. You can't use eshop at all until gateway supports the latest firmware. You can try to find a CIA of the update for the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg