1. 10,513

Front-page
    e3_2020_thumb800.png

The Coronavirus has possibly claimed another victim, in terms of public events. According to multiple different insider sources, this year's E3 has been canceled, of course, due to the outbreak of COVID-19. As is the case with previous E3's, they take place yearly in Los Angeles, one of the United States' largest cities, which is currently in a state of emergency due to the virus. Rumors were further fueled by developer Devolver Digital stating on Twitter for people to "cancel your E3 flights and hotels, y'all". Should an official cancellation of E3 happen in the coming hours or days, this would mean companies would need to adjust their scheduled announcements, or take things digital, much like Nintendo already does. At this time, E3 2020 is still set for June 9-11, at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

UPDATE: In an email made to press attending the event, the ESA formally announced the cancellation of this year's E3.

For vendors and companies that purchased booth space for the event, the ESA will be refunding those who request it. As for the event itself, industry leaders are in talks of trying to organize a possible digital showing in place of E3, though nothing is confirmed just yet. Next year's E3 is still scheduled to take place, in June of 2021.

2. Discussion (104 replies)

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    It'll be incredibly interesting to see E3 next year if this turns out to be the case. Companies will shift to a digital event this year and realise there's not really much in it for them with the show itself.

4. Flame

Flame Me > You

Which video game bad guy killed E3?

my money is on the one viruses in Dr. Mario

Last edited by Flame, Mar 11, 2020
  5. Chary

OP Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    This will probably be the case, but at the same time, digital events can only do so much. Since there's no gameplay kiosks, it'd be questionable what games would get gameplay trailers and not just cinematic ones. Or, smaller games and interviews wouldn't get covered, so indies/smaller weeb games might slip through the public eye at the time, without media outlets to talk about them.

Mr. Looigi, relauby, tech3475 and 4 others like this.
  6. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yaaay.
    e3 is finally dead
    now time to embrace online events instead of this BS.

7. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    For as long as I can remember, going back to being a little kid, E3 was like Christmas in Summer. I was always super excited to find out about the next installments in my favorite series. It always made me happy when Shigeru showed up.

I hope E3 comes back next year. Maybe they can just do the whole thing livestreamed this time.

8. Larsenv

Larsenv Dr. Wii, Ph.D

United States
    Apparently Sony and Microsoft both dropped out, and Nintendo would might have. It wasn't directly because of the coronavirus. It would be too far in advance to cancel it due to the coronavirus, right?

Last edited by Larsenv, Mar 11, 2020
  9. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well, since its like a 30-40 hours drive to go to E3 i don't really care coz i can never really go to it anyways lol
    I'll watch the stuff online as usual :P

10. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    i don't know what to say anymore.... this is like the SARS outbreak but way worse.... there fucking closing event's EVERYWHERE!!

m_babble and Nobody_Important4u like this.
  11. Burlsol

Burlsol GBAtemp Regular

E3 was always more about press and investors than consumer market. It's kinda like how most retailers lose money on Black Friday, but keep doing it for sake of stock price and market share.

Ryccardo likes this.
  12. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Big Sneeze#9629

Australia
    For as long as I could remember, E3 was always one of the events I'd look forward to as a youngster. So it sucks to see it in such a condition like this.

Nothing could ever really place that feeling I had when it came to watching all the events and gossiping with my siblings and friends about all the cool and cringy shit that we'd just witnessed.

13. Randy95354

Randy95354 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Bullshit overated flu if you think you cant handle the virus stay home bunch of hype corona and its cousins will be back next year and so on

14. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is exactly what Stadia and GFN could really pull through for and get people to install their platforms, having the kiosks for new games' demos actually be cloud-hosted. No lines, no backseaters, no awkward rep spewing a sales pitch at you, no concern over god knows how many people have touched that controller with their grubby nubbies, the list goes on. Somebody get me a consulting job somewhere.

Subtle Demise and Cosmic_Link like this.
  15. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Let us cancel everything! Even work and school.....

16. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This BS had the advantage of being a single point in time when people could just take a few days off and enjoy massive announcements.
    if they all do like Nintendo and announce their events at the last fucking second possible, people can't take time off, can't enjoy their show, so it's a completely different thing.
    I know I know, they are just "shows". They're still part of the experience for a lot of us.

KooPako, Chary and GameSystem like this.
  17. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

United States
    E3 is not canceled , they're just moving it to NY
    but the only publisher going will be Ubisoft and every "game" will be the division

Last edited by weatMod, Mar 11, 2020
    Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  18. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

United States
    I've seen those demo kiosk they have at those conventions. You'd be lucky if all you caught was covid after touching some of those controllers.

19. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

United States
    This is supposed to be a bad thing???

20. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    And nothing of value was lost.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  21. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    no surprise there it's useless now anyway even nintendo have abandoned it

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, canceled, UPDATE