Update and playing online Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by athrun5, Jan 7, 2015.

1. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States
    Simple question, is it safe to play games online when there patched for online, while using gateway 4.5 or lower. What I mean isn't a ban but updates. Let me rephrase that, will the 3ds download the newest update so it will hound you till you give in? Or is it safe to play online without having to worry that will happen?

Do note I am talking about in game and not when your outside of your game like in the app area.

I am also asking this question as it may relate to how I can use it on 9.2 when that comes.

2. chrisluna413

chrisluna413 GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2013
    United States
    East Brunswick, New Jersey
    You're very confusing :blink: not sure what you mean

3. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States
    Ok let me try again, if I were to say play pokemon OR or AS online on emunad or if I was say using 9.2 as I think this can relate. Would I have to be worried that I would get the nag that people says you get when you have your wlan on if you are playing online in a game or does it happen only outside of gameplay.

4. amrenj

amrenj Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2011
    If you're emunand is already at the latest version then it won't prompt you.

5. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States
    So if then in this case scenario if the new update doesn't have emunad I do have to fear this problem when wanting to use online in a game?

6. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    no one knows what kind of features or safeties the new update will have for sure.

with that said, the update is downloaded when you have wifi enabled and you're on sleep mode or if spotpass is used, stuff like that. the update isn't downloaded when you're playing a game online so if you want, you can simply activate the wifi when you're inside the game already.

furthermore, the update won't be installed without your permission. the notification might be a bit annoying but as long as you're careful, you can survive with it.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    You can get banned if someone else is using the same header if your both online at the same time

Rent a copy of the game and dump it to prevent a ban

8. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Can is different than Will ;)

No bans have ever been reported even when lots of people use public headers. Of course if you have the opportunity to buy a game, you're not only supporting the developers as well as getting your own private header.

Adeka likes this.
  9. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States

This is what I was asking, Thanks for the answer.

I remember hearing about a software you can use to add your own header into a game, so why rent it?

10. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I did say can ;)

Never heard of a program that can edit the header for a 3ds game.

11. Dankey Kang

Dankey Kang Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    Egypt
    Another relevant question, Mario Kart 7 for example has an update that I need to download from the eShop to play online. Will I be able to download that using Gateway? Thanks.

12. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    I know. lol

I only used what you said to add more info. I didn't mean that you're wrong.

13. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States
    I remember hearing about this on rom sites, I think it said you can download them no problem and if you can play online with gateway I don't think there would be any restriction.

Dankey Kang likes this.
  14. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    There's two ways to update a game. Through eShop or using devmenu/bigbluemenu and the update as cia file.

To access eShop you need to have the latest firmware on your 3DS. If there isn't emunand, you can't update your system or you can't use GW anymore.

We've seen in the video that GW showed before that they can use devmenu so you should be able to install cias. So even if you can't access eShop, there will always be an alternative to updating the game. That way you can keep playing online with it.

Dankey Kang likes this.
  15. Dankey Kang

Dankey Kang Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    Egypt
    Thanks guys!

16. athrun5
    OP

athrun5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2010
    United States
    this is wrong I would think since when 3ds was at 5.0 or something it blocked the use of firmware lower then it from being able to play online, So if emunad is not in the new update its just a matter of time when we would lose the ability to play online. The the only question is When or Will?

17. lemanuel

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    you only need the game updated to be able to play it online. it doesn't matter if your 3DS is updated to the latest firmware or not.

if you can run the game and if you have the game updated, it will work online. That much you can be sure.

Besides... even if emunand isn't included in the new support from the start, it doesn't mean it won't get added later one. When the 4.x support first appeared, it was pretty basic also. People simply have to know how to wait.

18. blobox
    This message by blobox has been removed from public view by Vulpes Abnocto, Jan 7, 2015, Reason: Yeah, you can laugh at anything, but how about we wait a while before laughing at this, m'kay? ~VA.
    Jan 7, 2015
  19. lemanuel
    This message by lemanuel has been removed from public view by Vulpes Abnocto, Jan 7, 2015, Reason: Yeah, you can laugh at anything, but how about we wait a while before laughing at this, m'kay? ~VA.
    Jan 7, 2015
  20. blobox
    This message by blobox has been removed from public view by Vulpes Abnocto, Jan 7, 2015, Reason: Yeah, you can laugh at anything, but how about we wait a while before laughing at this, m'kay? ~VA.
    Jan 7, 2015