Hacking UPDATE 5. >> 3 << .0

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This update fixes a known bug in the function OSDriver:CopyToSaveArea in the coreinit library, thus closing a hole many people were using to develop kernel exploits. Updating will make you lose your ability to run homebrew in the future.

Have fun, those who haven't! <3

See: above, MWPlayer123 said otherwise, as have other devs on this site
Also, who the hell are you? Are you a Wii U dev? If not, then don't spread fear-mongering BS. To quote what MWPlayer123 said, "if you're not a developer, there's no reason not to update" And also, there are more than just one bug in the Webkit, not all of them have been patched. Don't spread lies. Thank you.

Good day.

Reactions: Margen67

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This update fixes a known bug in the function OSDriver:CopyToSaveArea in the coreinit library, thus closing a hole many people were using to develop kernel exploits. Updating will make you lose your ability to run homebrew in the future.

i would be pissed, now... if i actually gave a flying f*ck xD

Dalavin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also: Who the hell are you? A Wii U dev? If not, then don't spread fear-mongering BS.

Good day.

I work on certain embedded systems for a certain Redmond-based company. I honestly don't know who was using this bug, nor do I care. All I know is that this was a pretty glaring one and a few groups of people were successfully using it for their own purposes.

Reactions: Zaide

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Also, who the hell are you? Are you a Wii U dev? If not, then don't spread fear-mongering BS. To quote what MWPlayer123 said, "if you're not a developer, there's no reason not to update" And also, there are more than just one bug in the Webkit, not all of them have been patched. Don't spread lies. Thank you.

Good day.
wow, calm down, man. It can probably be that they indeed fixed a important hole in the system. All MWPlayer said is, that they use the same webkit and that it´s probably full of more holes, so there would be no need to worry.
I would have expected a more constructive answer from you, given your usual temper, no offense, just sayin´

Dalavin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't believe him, there are still exploitable bugs in the webkit, and we've been told that unless we're devs, there's no reason not to update. He's just spreading BS.

Webkit bugs don't really matter to us as they're too numerous and don't do much anyways, this is a kernel-level escalation bug we patched.

Anyways, take it for what you will. I was just trying to help. Your guys' community devs can verify that that function was used for writing to kernelspace through a spinlock which was released too early.

Reactions: Zaide

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, calm down, man. It can probably be that they indeed fixed a important hole in the system. All MWPlayer said is, that they use the same webkit and that it´s probably full of more holes, so there would be no need to worry.
I would have expected a more constructive answer from you, given your usual temper, no offense, just sayin´

Nothing, it's just this guy's being....interesting, claims he works for Nintendo :creep: It would seem we found another self-proclaimed engineer/programmer at NOA HQ. Awesome.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

Implying that there are no other attack vectors.

Also, my dad works at Nintendo. He was responsible for Twilight Princess' buffer control.

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Webkit bugs don't really matter to us as they're too numerous and don't do much anyways, this is a kernel-level escalation bug we patched.

Anyways, take it for what you will. I was just trying to help. Your guys' community devs can verify that that function was used for writing to kernelspace through a spinlock which was released too early.
How is it, that everyone who claims to work at the officials is a "member since today" and got a name of some other temper just with a typo? One would think that a real worker for nintendo who actually concerns himself with the scene as a antagonist would be registered for quite some time to dig in or such. You know, to ask questions and similar? xD

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool story, bro. No one believes you. Go back to working for Nintendo, mm kay? *Sees no. of posts, sees join date* Yep, you're an engineer at Nintendo. Remove the region lock and maybe we'll believe ya. You guys haven't even written an N64 emulator yet
Quit being a dick. If you don't believe him, fine. No one cares if you believe him or not. On the other hand if he's telling the truth then you being a prick is just going to turn him off from giving out information in the future.

Whether he's a liar or not, you gain nothing by shooting him down every time he posts.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I really really need to start to learn functions in cafe sdk. I'm safe I'm still on 5.1.0 and definitely stay here. I don't want to revive the 3.55 ps3 fiasco again. We have a hole in browser functionnal. Yet not fully exploited. There is devs who are working on it. They do have a life to live too. If only I could contribute to the scene more, I would try anything.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quit being a dick. If you don't believe him, fine. No one cares if you believe him or not. On the other hand if he's telling the truth then you being a prick is just going to turn him off from giving out information in the future.

Whether he's a liar or not, you gain nothing by shooting him down every time he posts.

What information would that be, the fact that we may no long be able to find any holes in the Wii U's security? If he is telling the truth, that information doesn't seem exactly heartening, does it not? I will refrain from responding to him, that's fair enough. But if what he said is true, that won't look good for those who are working on the Wii U scene. How should we respond to this tidbit, happily? Joyfully? Submissively?

We gain nothing from his information.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
What information would that be, the fact that we may no long be able to find any holes in the Wii U's security? If he is telling the truth, that information doesn't seem exactly heartening, does it not? I will refrain from responding to him, that's fair enough. But if what he said is true, that won't look good for those who are working on the Wii U scene. How should we respond to this tidbit, happily? Joyfully? Submissively?

We gain nothing from his information, other than he supposedly works for NOA, and that the webkit has supposedly been fixed. That's hardly useful intel for hackers.

Now before we cause hysteria, I'd like to quote a post from a trusted developer as opposed to this person:

Not really, the browser is diverse enough that it shouldn't be difficult to find another exploit. In particular, libpng and libjpeg are 2 good candidates along with Webkit itself (what we were talking about).

Webkit is still vulnerable, so stop attacking the guy. Also stop trusting random people on the internet who haven't given a shred of evidence as to who they are. Wait for some verification of some kind.

My buddy is already working on that Osdriver to see if its real..find out in about 1 hour...

Shut up.

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

We gain nothing from his information, other than he supposedly works for NOA, and that the webkit has supposedly been fixed. That's hardly useful intel for hackers. I don't know why people are defending this dude, a NOA worker, he's only going to, you know, single-handedly ruin the Wii U hacking scene.
Well, nevertheless it´s intel, and not really an excuse to go fullout-butthurt in you replies. nobody expects you to be happy by it, but he did nothing wrong xD

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My buddy is already working on that Osdriver to see if its real..find out in about 1 hour...

He'd damn well be lying, the fact he joined today, has < 6 posts and claims to work for Nintendo, yeah, it's fishy. I hope the guys you're working for get more info soon :P

Now before we cause hysteria, I'd like to quote a post from a trusted developer as opposed to this person:

Webkit is still vulnerable, so stop attacking the guy. Also stop trusting random people on the internet who haven't given a shred of evidence as to who they are.

Also, why are you telling him to shut up? That's a little harsh, isn't it, and yes, I trust what NWPlayer123 says, not what some conveniently-registered-today-for-the-sake-of-spreading-fear member says.

Well, nevertheless it´s intel, and not really an excuse to go fullout-butthurt in you replies. nobody expects you to be happy by it, but he did nothing wrong xD

Whatever. He seems suspicious is all, joining today, having small no. of posts, outlandish claims with connections to Nintendo. He didn't have to tell us anything, about the so-called unhackable Wii U.

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
He'd damn well be lying, the fact he joined today, has < 6 posts and claims to work for Nintendo, yeah, it's fishy. I hope the guys you're working for get more info soon :P

Also, why are you telling him to shut up? That's a little harsh, isn't it, and yes, I trust what NWPlayer123 says, not what some conveniently-registered-today-for-the-sake-of-spreading-fear member says.

He is looking at it now..then we will test on 4.1.0 :)

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't believe him, there are still exploitable bugs in the webkit, and we've been told that unless we're devs, there's no reason not to update. He's just spreading BS.

You are missing the point. Webkit bugs are userspace bugs only. We still need a kernal exploit, and that requires a bug in the OS, not in the webkit.

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Whatever. He seems suspicious is all, joining today, having small no. of posts, outlandish claims with connections to Nintendo. He didn't have to tell us anything, about the so-called unhackable Wii U.
I´m not sure whether he is real or not, or whether he gave us true info or not, but still i think that the message isn´t what you say, but HOW you say it. And with the appeareance of that guy the niveau and quality of replies about it suddenly crashed down to 0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid