Hacking UPDATE 5. >> 3 << .0

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Dev said feel free to update, can do. It's a win-win, really: either you stay on lower firmware and you get peace of mind, or you update and enjoy the new features like smash and all those things. Devs also said that they plan on porting the exploit to newer versions, so there's that.

EDIT: I'm a hypocritical pirate(I pretend I don't condone it while my utorrent works day and night) but I want to say that the Wii U is a rare system where piracy can't really show how much it will hurt the console. For one, it's not even possible, hardware or software. For two, there are ups and downs to both sides, unless it becomes possible to update while under exploit.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a losing battle and i'm the only one that seems to be able to see it. the wiiu has 1 maybe 2 more years left and it's finished. because of nintendos arrogant, archaic ways on how they want to do business they are once again in 3rd place. they failed once again to meet the market and it's cost the wiiu an earlier death than usual. all that's left are their games to get now forget about 3rd party. the wiiu is finished hacking it won't matter soon. what will be the point to pirate under 10 games that would have been released way b4 the exploit comes. i don't see the point anymore.
Then go out and buy the games if you can't wait.. I know it has taken a while for the wii-u to be hacked, and still isn't yet, but who cares as long as you get to play some games on it for free eventually, right?..

As for me, I have infinite patience.. My wii-u has literally just been sitting there since I got it, still on firmware 4.0.2.. I haven't hardly touched it.. I refuse to connect it to the internet.. I am patiently waiting for it to be hacked..

And I think you are forgetting to consider this one important point: Even IF the wii-u does only have 1-2 years left, do you think that nintendo's next console will immediately be hacked the day that it is released??.. It will probably take years for the next nintendo console to be hacked, and during that time waiting for it, you can be playing the wii-u games (because hopefully wii-u will have been hacked by that point)..

Reactions: NWPlayer123

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Then go out and buy the games if you can't wait.. I know it has taken a while for the wii-u to be hacked, and still isn't yet, but who cares as long as you get to play some games on it for free eventually, right?..

As for me, I have infinite patience.. My wii-u has literally just been sitting there since I got it, still on firmware 4.0.2.. I haven't hardly touched it.. I refuse to connect it to the internet.. I am patiently waiting for it to be hacked..

And I think you are forgetting to consider this one important point: Even IF the wii-u does only have 1-2 years left, do you think that nintendo's next console will immediately be hacked the day that it is released??.. It will probably take years for the next nintendo console to be hacked, and during that time waiting for it, you can be playing the wii-u games (because hopefully wii-u will have been hacked by that point)..

I´m usually not one to go against pirates, as i allways hack my consoles into oblivion as soon as i get them, aswell.
But i can kinda see his point, the total of half-decent WiiU-Games is easily countable and getting them shouldn´t hurt much more then all the waiting for an exploit, not to mention proper homebrew to do the usual business with it.
I´m more and more thinking about going full-legit with my U aswell, maybe i still have the luck to -at some point- enjoy homebrew with it as new-firm-exploits will still exist and if not, well bad luck i guess. I really think i wouldn´t care as much as with other consoles like my 360, vWii(which is justincase easily interchangeable by Dolphin for me...) or my 3DS, heck even my PSP had more enjoyable titles i could think of, which delivered me quite alot of games i would have never bought but where quite fun. I´m gonna grab that update for Amiibos, now as i will get Smash with that adorable Mario-Figurine to Level at day1 and can´t wait to do that anyways.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dev said feel free to update, can do. It's a win-win, really: either you stay on lower firmware and you get peace of mind, or you update and enjoy the new features like smash and all those things. Devs also said that they plan on porting the exploit to newer versions, so there's that.

EDIT: I'm a hypocritical pirate(I pretend I don't condone it while my utorrent works day and night) but I want to say that the Wii U is a rare system where piracy can't really show how much it will hurt the console. For one, it's not even possible, hardware or software. For two, there are ups and downs to both sides, unless it becomes possible to update while under exploit.

That's all the confirmation I need lol XD And yes, I'm a filthy pirate, but only for games pre 2000, usually.

Reactions: Margen67

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
That's all the confirmation I need lol XD And yes, I'm a filthy pirate, but only for games pre 2000, usually.

First of all, inb4 flame.
Second, Ive always wanted to know: There are people who claim that piracy/emulation of old games continue to hurt old game devs. How can this be? You can't buy cartidges/systems directly from the seller anymore, the money goes to the person who owned the cart or system.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Second, Ive always wanted to know: There are people who claim that piracy/emulation of old games continue to hurt old game devs. How can this be? You can't buy cartidges/systems directly from the seller anymore, the money goes to the person who owned the cart or system.

Precisely, it can't, perhaps only secondhand retailers, but many old companies are either defunct are bought out and IPs for said companies nonexistent and so on. I feel no moral qualms about emulating older 8-64-bit games made before 2000 or so. Okay and Wii game back ups on the Wii and Wii U, because they're no longer in print. Doesn't make it any less wrong, but many people don't care either. The Wii I have is my primary means of emulation and running GCN and Wii games.'

But you can in most cases buy official one-game-emulators for their consoles, and there´s allways a chance that a game may be rereleased as that. Not telling you to don't dl old roms, just telling you why people think that way xD

Even those are usually unofficial and use emulators as well, and there are numerous games that never will be available for rerelease due to licensing bullshit, like how many 3rd party Snes games are not on the virtual console. That's where unofficial emulation reigns supreme, for games that Nintendo will never have on their download services. :P

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But you can in most cases buy official one-game-emulators for their consoles, and there´s allways a chance that a game may be rereleased as that. Not telling you to don´t dl old roms, just telling you why people think that way xD

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, basically if a digital rerelease/VC version/port or whatever exists, then sure, buy that, but if there's not there's no real way to give the developers money for it anyway.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yeah, basically if a digital rerelease/VC version/port or whatever exists, then sure, buy that, but if there's not there's no real way to give the developers money for it anyway.

Oh sheeeeeeeit, I totally forgot about VC/digital releases! But what if I'm a die-hard virtual boy fan or really really love my amiga or something? And my biggest bullet for this argument: Shit like Mother 3 or things like that?

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh sheeeeeeeit, I totally forgot about VC/digital releases! But what if I'm a die-hard virtual boy fan or really really love my amiga or something? And my biggest bullet for this argument: Shit like Mother 3 or things like that?
Then you will probably go to hell some day and die alone... or nobody would care and you (much like everyone else, some just wouldn´t admit it) keep playing your emulators and dl/ed roms and buy cake with the money bigN want´s from you just to have another emu on another platform to play the games they don´t need to work for at all, anymore xD

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I pre-purchased both Mario Kart 8 DLC some time ago, I wanna play smash and I don't really care for homebrew/"backup" loading on the wiiu side in the future, so I'm just updating anyway :-)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how every Wii U related thread turns into a piracy debate -.-

I also love the feigned hatred people on here have for it when most people don't give a tin schilling either way.

I pre-purchased both Mario Kart 8 DLC some time ago, I wanna play smash and I don't really care for homebrew/"backup" loading on the wiiu side in the future, so I'm just updating anyway :-)

Well NWPlayer123 said that, unless you're a developer, there's no point in waiting around on an older FW.

Jackall4BDN

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also love the feigned hatred people on here have for it when most people don't give a tin schilling either way.
I think some people just do it for the sake of having something to talk. I e.g. allways find myself answering those "things" even though i told myself that i would stop it next time xD

Dalavin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This update fixes a known bug in the function OSDriver:CopyToSaveArea in the coreinit library, thus closing a hole many people were using to develop kernel exploits. Updating will make you lose your ability to run homebrew in the future.

Have fun, those who haven't! <3

Reactions: Zaide and VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work