Adamator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all.

First time here. I was researching a question about DS Flashcards tonight and this seemed like the best place to get my answer.

Briefly, a few years ago I bought my first DS FlashCard, an Acecard 2i. At the time I had a DSi XL and a new 3DS. I didn't keep my DSi updated so I could use the Acecard with it. Some time later, I sold off my DSi XL after getting a 3DS XL.

My Acekard hasn't been usable in about a year since I keep my 3DS updated. But I been missing having a flashcard so I wanted to get back into it. Of course, I have no easy way to update my Card now, so my options are pretty limited.

My question is, are there cards out there than can be updated with methods other than having to have an old DS, like a DS Lite on hand to run the update? Have they come up with a better method?

I'm looking into getting a card that can be updated without the need for an older non-updated DS.

Thank you. If this question is answered here on the forum, I missed it.

Adamator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. You mean the price being more than most cards? Great to know what I was hoping for exists. All I really want is one that will simply play DS Roms. Aside from being able to update without the need for old hardware to do it, how it this DSTwo? Worth the premium?

As a matter of curiosity, how is it's firmware updated?

TackyPie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Download firmware 1.19.

2. Extract "dstwoupdate.dat" to the root of your microsd card and rename it to "dstwoupdateb.dat".

3. Put your microsd card into your DSTwo and insert it into your 3DS.

4. Turn on the 3DS and launch the DSTwo, you will see this screen.
092106qryree7rueqefv23[1].gif

Stay on this screen, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, and just wait and wait for 3 minutes, IF YOU TOUCH ANYTHING YOU MAY BRICK YOUR DSTWO.

5. After the 3 minutes is up, turn off the 3DS, then put the microsd card back into your computer and delete "dstwoupdateb.dat".

6. You can now put your microsd card back into your DSTwo, and back into your 3DS, and now your DSTwo should be on firmware 1.19, and it should work normally on your 3DS on the latest firmware.

Check out this thread for more info http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide-how-to-setup-the-dstwo.290190/

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Granted, it's recommended to avoid doing that when possible just because there is a greater room for error than if you can boot the update normally.

I also just want to clarify - you probably know this but the wording left it a little ambiguous, so just to make sure - you don't ABSOLUTELY need an older DS to update other cards. That's only if you update your 3DS/DSi before updating the flash card. However, as you saw, the DSTWO can get around that when necessary.

The DSTWO is an awesome little card IMO. Its onboard CPU provides for acceptable GBA and SNES emulation, and it also has the ability to launch a rom in "clean" mode, emulation a legitimate cartridge at that point, to bypass any AP a rom may have (not that it's likely we'll run into many more games with hardcore AP anymore)

Adamator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, the update is that automatic? I wish I had kept my old card up to date but I didn't and now it will never work, unless I find an old DS or something. But I love that this one can update even on a system with current firmware if needed.

What is clean rom mode? What does that mean?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users