Upcoming PSVita Slim Unveiling in the West? Possibly.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite happy with my OLED version, even if I only own 3 games at moment. I think it's cool that this one will be cheaper - OLED is awesome, and I actually like the size of the original, but if this means more people get to play their games, then I'm all for it. I had the same opinion with the 2DS, and with any hardware revision - if it's more accessible, go for it. The older versions will sill exist for purchase somewhere or the other.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If the VitaTV is announced as well, I might actually grab one as long as they improve game compatibility (something the Japanese version lacked, according to a few reviews). It would be interesting to see Killzone Mercenary played on my monitor at home, and then being able to pick it up when I have downtime at work.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Newoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would they be used for? They can't really be set to anything important or otherwise old Vita owners won't be able to play those games normally. Also why is that so important anyway? The only thing I've ever seen them used for is running and meleeing in shooters, and running is awful anyway beacuse you need to keep it pressed down while moving it.

I don't know what games you are playing that you need to keep the analog pressed down to run? Usually you just click it once and it starts running for you. It would just be nice to have a couple more buttons that you could map out on the vita.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nice, finally going to pick up a Vita when the slims come out hopefully they bring the colours over really want the white one. LCD is much better for me because id rather have the system last longer OLED doesn't have a long lifespan plus the difference in quality is marginal. 1GB storage is real nice to because i don't buy digital games at all so i just need the memory to save.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The fact that you felt it necessary to list Everybody's Golf and Invisimals says enough ;O;
/jk I'd totally buy a Vita if I had money
Jokes aside, Everybody's Golf and Invizimals are both big name Sony franchises, so they fit the description. I would've sooner expected that you'd be picky about Resistance since it wasn't that great of a game. :P

My point was that Sony does support the system - there's loads of first-party games on it, both exclusive and cross-platform and claiming otherwise is just pulling information from someone's behind, a single look here confirms that.
NintenSonydogs? Might be good-

Oh God they talk :wtf: Ew ew ew ewwww :wtf:
My girlfriend's reaction - word by word, almost. :rofl2:

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
How? its literally better in every way. Shitty OLED burn in and screen lifespans now solved

Nah, OLED is only being damaged when the backgroud is static and on a gaming system like Vita lot of stuff happens.
And even if you leave it on a static picture its gonna go in standy mode after a minute.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
How? its literally better in every way. Shitty OLED burn in and screen lifespans now solved

Except that's not really all that much of a problem on the Vita. You literally have to sit at a stationary image for an obscene amount of hours before burn-in occurs. Seeing how the Vita has a standby mode that can't be turned off, you have to constantly keep the Vita awake, causing the burn-in by yourself. Seeing how no moron is going to deliberately sit at a stationary image on the Vita...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
LCD is also susceptible to burn-in, albeit less so. That being said, that's why the console turns the screen off during inactivity and that's why the menu icons "wobble" - there are software-based methods of preventing burn-in and they are employed in the PSVita's OS. As for the lifespan, contemporary OLED screens can reach the life expectancy of 15 years time - it's more than ample time to play the system properly. OLED screens are just prettier than LCD ones and that's a fact you can't deny.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LCD is also susceptible to burn-in, albeit less so. That being said, that's why the console turns the screen off during inactivity and that's why the menu icons "wobble" - there are software-based methods of preventing burn-in and they are employed in the PSVita's OS. As for the lifespan, contemporary OLED screens can reach the life expectancy of 15 years time - it's more than ample time to play the system properly. OLED screens are just prettier than LCD ones and that's a fact you can't deny.

The bolded is highly subjective, and a conclusion I don't share.

I'd take LCD over OLED any day, given the choice right now. The latter manages to take the worst aspects of LCD and PDP--poor blacks (contrast) and relative lack of brightness--and combines them into one display tech. It was another case of Sony's lunatic, engineer-driven* business model, which now threatens to sink what's left of the company. For all intents and purposes, OLED looks like a small PDP to me, as far as image smoothness and color reproduction is concerned, minus the deep blacks, which really hurts. (And I prefer PDP to LCD, as far as image tech goes.)

(As an aside, I also seem to recall being told--by the Sony brigade--that you can't deny the PSP screen was better than DS, except that the original PSP screen was a ghosting horror that marred what was an otherwise beautiful display...as long as nothing was moving...good thing that's not important in videogames, right? ;)

*They make some crazy stuff--their laptops are amazing bits of tech, albeit insanely, suicidally, expensive in a commodity-driven business--but they clearly have no idea at all what the broader market is interested in, across most of their product lines--a shame, really, given their history of 'getting it right'.

(And yes, I have a Vita with several dozen games.)

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bout time, modern IPS LCD looks better. and STAYS that way. oled degrades
and people are oblivious to it till they hold a new vita.

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

way way less, oled burn in is not only easier to do, its darker, changes colors, etc.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
way way less, oled burn in is not only easier to do, its darker, changes colors, etc.
As said a hundred times, when exactly are you going to get the static image necessary to cause any burn-in whatsoever on the PSVita? Games (obviously) move around, the icons in the menu wobble to prevent it, the possible burn-in danger I can think of is the status bar, but even that is unlikely because the PSVita turns its screen off at regular intervals. The screen's fine and if you ask me, the crispness of colour and the pixel density are far superior to what any LCD device I own offers.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's only one Vita game that I have to play, and I've already played a version of it already (Persona 4 Golden). That being said, I'm rather intrigued by the Vita TV thing announced a while back. Assuming it comes to the states and they fix the compatibility, it's highly likely I'll purchase it. If not, then I'm gonna get this. I'm not gonna get digital games (unless they're PSVita+digital-exclusivea), so saving on an expensive memory card is good.

Although Satangel brings up a good point. Smealum, hack the Vita already!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: