Hacking Unreadable HDD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GameDragon
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 3,362
  • Replies Replies 19

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
17
Trophies
1
Age
36
Location
New York
Website
Visit site
XP
282
Country
United States
I just purchased an external HDD today specifically for the Wii. Using WBFS Manager, I was unable to format into WBFS. Instead, I formatted directly from the USB Loader. That worked just fine. But, my PC was still unable to read my HDD. I tried pretty much all the WBFS programs I could find, and used "Run as Admin" also. Still no go.

I tried the HDD on another PC using WBFS Manager. Surprisingly, it worked. Both computers are running Vista 32-bit. Disk Management shows the HDD as 'Unreadable', so that could be problem. I'm unable to reformat, partition, or anything of the sort on my PC using Disk Management. I'm running out of ideas.

Anyone know a possible solution?

EDIT: For anyone wondering. The HDD works just fine on the Wii. All games I've tried run perfect.
 
Even if it shows as unreadable will it let you assign a drive letter to the partition?

Mine shows up in xp 32 bit as unformatted and I mapped it to w: which makes it able for wbfs manager to mount it but unreadable using conventional means (My Computer, w:\, etc.)
 
It shows in Disk Management as 'unreadable'. I'm not able to format, partition, change drive letters or anything of the sort. It's just there. On the the other PC I tried, it did not show unreadable.

And I've tried WBFS Manager 3.0 as well as older versions.
 
What hard drive/enclosure are you using?


Sounds like a vista issue if it's the pc you're using. Is it on a bad usb port?
 
thats wierd because i just checked and mine comes up as healthy raw partition did u try taking off uac thats the only thing i edited on my vista setup
 
Yeah, it showed as Healthy on the other PC too. I haven't tried turning off UAC, I'll do that now.

EDIT: Little mistake. It shows as healthy partition on my PC too. But on the status where it would normally say 'Online', it says 'Unreadable'.
 
where did you see the status try taking a picture of your screen with prt scr key and show me
 
Your windows computer can't read a WBFS drive... it can't, and won't...

Here's how you do it.

Format the drive to FAT32. Assign it a drive letter. Plug it into the Wii, format it, and install 1 game via DVD (WiiSport will work, and it's only 310Meg) Plug it back into your PC, and THEN open a WBFS manager. Enjoy
 
As I've said. I'm unable to format it at all.

On a second look at Device Manager, almost all my drives are unreadable. They all seem to function fine though.
 
I'll have to try that another day. I don't have access to another PC at the moment.

http://img.imgcake.com/unreadable.jpg
If you look on the left of that image, every drive is unreadable.
unsure.gif
 
lol wtf theres some major issues going on. Whats the options when right clicking? is there a 'Online' option or something?

Otherwise its some vista issue hidden somewhere
 
Nah, it's just Properties and Help. I've went through the properties several times already and the help is no help at all...

Ah well. I'll just try it on another PC whenever I get a chance. Thanks everyone who tried to help. If anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to add.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted