Unpacking .nds for cutscenes

holyhellhelpme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently beat a game that I'd like to re-watch the cutscenes for. I'd rather not replace the initial cutscene one-by-one. I've unpacked the files using dslazy, but when I utilize ffmpeg on the movies, (or use ffprobe) I'm not seeing/hearing any audio. The fact that there is no audio appearing in the probe, makes me think that either dslazy/ndstool is screwing up the unpacking, or this particular game has it packaged oddly. Specifically I'm seeing a 'movies' folder with all the videos I expect, but the snd folder only contains battle grunts and the like (as far as I can tell) and I don't think there are any other audio files within the unpacked folder structure. I'm posting here because I've gotten this far off of 10-20 year old threads from this same site and I'm hoping someone can let me know if I'm missing something obvious. I can provide more detail as we go on as well.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't resolve your dumping problem but I wanted to suggest it.
Maybe you can watch a long play of the game on youtube and watch the scenes that way?

holyhellhelpme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the file types of the videos?
The file type is .mods, they are mobiclip
Post automatically merged:

This doesn't resolve your dumping problem but I wanted to suggest it.
Maybe you can watch a long play of the game on youtube and watch the scenes that way?
Ironically that's part of why I want to do this, so others can view it on youtube because I don't see it currently there.

holyhellhelpme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then FFMpeg might be the wrong tool. Someone has made a Mobiclip decoder, which I though should work with .mods files.
If you're talking about gihub -> Gericom MobiclipDecoder I've already tried it and it just gives me some terrible audio screeching and like 3 flashes of images. BUT that does tell me that the audio is successfully ripped from the movie now that I think about it :D

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried this one? Not sure where to find nowdays though. Made by Nintendy.
Screenshot 2023-02-16 235858.png

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried this one? Not sure where to find nowdays though.
View attachment 353746
They've already tried it (not the encoder one though).
If you're talking about gihub -> Gericom MobiclipDecoder I've already tried it and it just gives me some terrible audio screeching and like 3 flashes of images. BUT that does tell me that the audio is successfully ripped from the movie now that I think about it :D

Reactions: BigOnYa

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure the audio is in the video file? Some will kick audio back to the normal SDAT and whatever else. Can tell things if you did the swap and it plays the wrong audio to match.

That said I believe vx/mod/mobiclip is a complete package here so likely has it in (some devs do odd things).

"one by one"?
Because ndstool unpack (probably with a nice batch file), copy-paste resulting folder 10 times or whatever, overwrite intro with cutscenes, load ROM, maybe also load savestate just before (might be tricky but video being streamed it is probably not cached in memory, and that normally just means take one a suitable amount earlier still).

You might also inject into another ROM (preferably of similar vintage as the formats did change a bit over the years).

Getting a bit more into proper active measures then if it is an interleaved format (100KB of video, 30kb of audio, 100KB of video...sort of thing) it might not be that hard to concatenate the videos manually (twiddling the header values to reflect size and length, hopefully whatever source is available for the various decoders will yield some info).

Reactions: BigOnYa

holyhellhelpme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure the audio is in the video file? Some will kick audio back to the normal SDAT and whatever else. Can tell things if you did the swap and it plays the wrong audio to match.

That said I believe vx/mod/mobiclip is a complete package here so likely has it in (some devs do odd things).

"one by one"?
Because ndstool unpack (probably with a nice batch file), copy-paste resulting folder 10 times or whatever, overwrite intro with cutscenes, load ROM, maybe also load savestate just before (might be tricky but video being streamed it is probably not cached in memory, and that normally just means take one a suitable amount earlier still).

You might also inject into another ROM (preferably of similar vintage as the formats did change a bit over the years).

Getting a bit more into proper active measures then if it is an interleaved format (100KB of video, 30kb of audio, 100KB of video...sort of thing) it might not be that hard to concatenate the videos manually (twiddling the header values to reflect size and length, hopefully whatever source is available for the various decoders will yield some info).
I want to say thanks, because you're a big part of the reason I made it this far.

so using ffmpeg didn't yield any audio. I tried various formats, but TBH I was hoping to not have to dig through the documentation too hard.

Using the other tool mentioned (mobi decoder) on a video of about 25 seconds length produced what seemed to be a very corrupted file. I can't share because I've deleted the tool and the file, but IIRC it would play very distorted sounds like if one were playing an emulator with the wrong audio transcoder or whatever. it just sounded broken and the few times it seemed to 'wave in' it would sound accurate to the video. The image portion of the video itself would only show up for a split second at a time and then disappear probably around 3-4 times.

is it typical for ffprobe to list only 'video' if the video/audio is stored together?
What's the best way to move forward? can I get more info easily, is there a format I should try? should I share the rom and have one of you who may be more experienced see if you have the same experience?

ffprobe output:
libavutil 57. 43.100 / 57. 43.100
libavcodec 59. 54.100 / 59. 54.100
libavformat 59. 34.102 / 59. 34.102
libavdevice 59. 8.101 / 59. 8.101
libavfilter 8. 51.100 / 8. 51.100
libswscale 6. 8.112 / 6. 8.112
libswresample 4. 9.100 / 4. 9.100
libpostproc 56. 7.100 / 56. 7.100
[mods @ 0000015101157e00] Format mods detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
Input #0, mods, from 'Mov_001.mods':
Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
Stream #0:0: Video: mobiclip, yuv420p, 256x192, 15 fps, 15 tbr, 15 tbn

I also found this a link to output it to json

{
"streams": [
{
"index": 0,
"codec_name": "mobiclip",
"codec_long_name": "MobiClip Video",
"codec_type": "video",
"codec_tag_string": "[0][0][0][0]",
"codec_tag": "0x0000",
"width": 256,
"height": 192,
"coded_width": 256,
"coded_height": 192,
"closed_captions": 0,
"film_grain": 0,
"has_b_frames": 0,
"pix_fmt": "yuv420p",
"level": -99,
"refs": 1,
"r_frame_rate": "15/1",
"avg_frame_rate": "15/1",
"time_base": "1/15",
"nb_frames": "493",
"disposition": {
"default": 0,
"dub": 0,
"original": 0,
"comment": 0,
"lyrics": 0,
"karaoke": 0,
"forced": 0,
"hearing_impaired": 0,
"visual_impaired": 0,
"clean_effects": 0,
"attached_pic": 0,
"timed_thumbnails": 0,
"captions": 0,
"descriptions": 0,
"metadata": 0,
"dependent": 0,
"still_image": 0
}
}
],
"format": {
"filename": "Mov_001.mods",
"nb_streams": 1,
"nb_programs": 0,
"format_name": "mods",
"format_long_name": "MobiClip MODS",
"size": "1423092",
"probe_score": 1
}
}

I'm not seeing anything here that would indicate to me that audio is present just 1 stream of movie. Hopefully the previous output gives us some more clues?

Another option would be to find a way to rip the audio alone and I can combine it with the soundless video later. It's easier for me to batch script these than to manually copy paste just due to the sheer amount of movies. (cutscene heavy JRPG)

it's possible I'm just missing mpeg2 or ac3 capabilities somehow...I thought VLC would have though

For reference (mostly mine) I attempted to play with MPEGStreamClip 1.2 with QuickTime Alternative 3.2.0 and same results (video no audio and the .mov wouldn't play at all this time error 'not long enough')

I read through the ffmpeg docs...didn't help me, but I could've missed a callout somewhere. it seems it should work in general unless I'm failing to declare hardware which would alter the result

Last edited by holyhellhelpme,

holyhellhelpme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"one by one"?

Oh I forgot to mention I did a couple swaps to test and yes the audio matched

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock