Unmasking Internet Pirates

Subzero100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone heard of this thing that was supposedly put into action this past summer where ip providers have this system that is used to detect if your downloading illegal files? I just came across it a few minutes ago on you tube, and ive been downloading things since then without any problems all this time.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can definitely be tracked though not necessarily by the ip providers. It just depends whether or not it's worth their(whoever is doing the tracking) time. It's best to maintain anonymity (meaning you blend in with the rest of the people on the internet doing a billion things) while on the internet.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
and how do they know a file is illegal?
You know that displaying your avatar in your browser is equivalent to downloading (action consisting of transferring a data from a remote computer to yours) an illegal file? you don't have permission to use this copyrighted/registered Intellectual Property.

They can't detect what's going through, they can see the IP you connect to and protocol you are using (http, torrent, nntp, ftp, etc.)
For them to "know" that the transmitted content is illegal, they would need a huge database of illegal content and compare them to every user's data transfer...

is that limited only to full content, on only to few part of it? a part could be the same data as another legal content.

What could be used is hiring a private company to do their work, tracking all torrent websites and marking all tracker's IP as suspicious, etc.
That's what was proposed in France (Hadopi). it never worked. it cost millions € for nothing.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened for you guys.
The internet is taken way too seriously in America with people getting arrested for facebook comments etc. There's no freedom for you.

There are already ways for them to track who's using what torrent, but I assume OP means they're looking into additional, more intrusive ways.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
IP providers means your ISP... and the majority do not actively monitor your activities for illegal files (at least, not without first receiving a court order). At most they just monitor activity type (p2p, http, ftp, etc) to assist their bandwidth regulating and sometimes restrict speeds to one activity type to reduce overall load.

There are many other means to monitor your activities (some of which got brought to the media's attention not too long ago). Some claim that they're looking for terrorism, some claim they're protecting national interests (against hacktivists), and some are just looking for illegal content that they can charge for (like that person who got fined millions for uploading her mp3 collection on torrents a few years ago). In any case, the majority of illegal activity on the internet still goes unchecked and unpunished, so feel free to continue pirating until you do eventually receive a c&d from some lawyer representing either a media company or your ISP.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and how do they know a file is illegal?
You know that displaying your avatar in your browser is equivalent to downloading (action consisting of transferring a data from a remote computer to yours) an illegal file? you don't have permission to use this copyrighted/registered Intellectual Property.

They can't detect what's going through, they can see the IP you connect to and protocol you are using (http, torrent, nntp, ftp, etc.)
For them to "know" that the transmitted content is illegal, they would need a huge database of illegal content and compare them to every user's data transfer...

is that limited only to full content, on only to few part of it? a part could be the same data as another legal content.

What could be used is hiring a private company to do their work, tracking all torrent websites and marking all tracker's IP as suspicious, etc.
That's what was proposed in France (Hadopi). it never worked. it cost millions € for nothing.

To add to this

http://blog.erratasec.com/2012/11/you-are-committing-crime-right-now.html

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online piracy is like sex. You can drastically reduce the risk with protection, like with VPNs or blocklists, but if you can't handle the risk, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. One has to decide whether or not it's worth the risk, and one can't really complain if something bad happens.

I rarely pirate things anymore, but if/when I do, blocklists have always sufficed.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some ISP's use something called deep packet inspection, if they suspect you of downloading a movie. That's when you get the nice email or letter warning you to stop such activity.

You should be using encryption if your favorite P2P app supports it. Also run something called Peerblock (Not it's not perfect but anything helps if your paranoid.) Run a proxy. Keep off the popular stuff IE brand new movie released in the last 2 weeks? Yeah wait a few months... patience is a virtue.

Or like I tell my kids, the only way not to get caught is not to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1