Unlimited Detail: To replace polygons in the near future?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
It definately sounds interesting. Still, we don't know if this really works that well. If it does, that's great! It would take some time for developers to get to understand this, but the results could be great!

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
great idea and very interesting but will take time for making and understanding it

if it is going to take too much power then i say there will be a rethink on how everything is handled and although graphics are really important, they should never come above smoothness and gameplay

EDIT: dont u just hate double posts

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One problem I could see is that it will still take time to make things in the game, so if a developer wanted to make an unlimited game may spend months just working on a tree. If it takes longer to make a tree for example with this new system than developers will be reluctant to switch.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It will use more power than what we have already but its certainly plausible considering his "search algorithm" explanation. There's only really one problem with this and that's that there are a bajillion different ways it could look from a bajillion different angles, a search engine "indexes" or basically maps out what every page says so that when keywords are put in it can instantly bring up all the pages with those keywords. For point cloud data there is a LOT of data to index and this means a LOT of space required for it in memory either on hard drive or in RAM.

Fakie!

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
In this video he says they are looking to implement the technology on Wii and DS so it looks like you don't need a monster machine after all.

And even if it doesn't look THAT good I'd still take those graphics over anything that Wii has rendered (except maybe some games like Mario Galaxy
tongue.gif
which look perfect the way they are).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Feels Good Man said:
imz said:
It's a nice concept but until home computers are powerful enough to run this at a decent speed it will remain simply a concept

I'm sure computers can run it at a decent speed
no computer today can look what it takes to make one of them cgi movies a shitload of computers and this tech is worse!
tongue.gif

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...They mentioned ruining this on DS, or Wii.
My computer, a crappy HP can run both at the same time.
I'm sure about 95% of people have a better comp than me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: will @SylverReZ scalp Switch 2s? :)