Homebrew Homebrew game Unity Car Physics for 3DS

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
More info will come later when I have access to PC, apologies.

Update:

The game is very crude, and has a lot of problems, such as:

-The car flips over when accelerating
-The car's wheels are fucked up

Screenshots coming in replies.

UPDATE 3:

UPDATE 2:

The car doesn't slip over anymore, and I mostly fixed the wheels.

Last edited by VMHoss,

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll try to decrypt the cia and record it with citra
If that doesn't work, I'll stick to snickerstream

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to use the 3DS skybox shader provided by the example? My project's skybox looks jagged and fucked up lol

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does anyone know how to use the 3DS skybox shader provided by the example? My project's skybox looks jagged and fucked up lol
Only a few specific shaders work on 3DS, if you use any other shaders on ANY other mesh, the skybox looks fucked up for some reason. Let me open Unity and check which shaders i used...

My workaround was using a sphere with reversed normals for a skybox, and using the "mobile/particles/vertexlit blended" shader. I used that one because i change the light color for a sunset/nighttime effect, but you could probably also use any of the legacy shaders if you need cutout, unlit, and such for other items.
There's also the example shaders for 3DS that you can get on nintendo's dev pages, although some are buggy or also fuck up the skybox. It's very hit and miss

Reactions: SummonerArthur

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only a few specific shaders work on 3DS, if you use any other shaders on ANY other mesh, the skybox looks fucked up for some reason. Let me open Unity and check which shaders i used...

My workaround was using a sphere with reversed normals for a skybox, and using the "mobile/particles/vertexlit blended" shader. I used that one because i change the light color for a sunset/nighttime effect, but you could probably also use any of the legacy shaders if you need cutout, unlit, and such for other items.
There's also the example shaders for 3DS that you can get on nintendo's dev pages, although some are buggy or also fuck up the skybox. It's very hit and miss
I did actually once create a skydome with a sphere with flipped normals, however I was (and still am) too dumb to make it follow the car and have it to rotate freely, so that it doesn't look like the sky is still.
I'm glad there are still people who know about unity for nintendo 3ds, it's really comforting!

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
fuck, the projects now crash on 3ds
I'm going to start from scratch, as my original folder is really messy.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
make it follow the car and have it to rotate freely
what do you mean by this? the dome should be huge, and it shouldn't follow the car or anything else. If the camera rotates, you see different parts of the skybox. That's how it normally works at least. You could add a second layer with transparency for.. say.. clouds or something like that if you want.

I haven't kept developing for 3DS on unity since what i made gets a bit laggy after a little while and i can't quite figure out why (i tried profiler, different shaders, and optimizing everything i could think of, but still laggy). And also because 3DS is on it's way out and nobody will ever play what i make. But i'm a big unity nerd in general so i might be able to help with stuff.
Do you plan on distributing your game legally? since we own a nintendo SDK that means you also signed the NDA, therefore shouldn't share it freely on websites and such... right? maybe you know more about the legal part of it than i do.

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what do you mean by this? the dome should be huge, and it shouldn't follow the car or anything else. If the camera rotates, you see different parts of the skybox. That's how it normally works at least. You could add a second layer with transparency for.. say.. clouds or something like that if you want.

I haven't kept developing for 3DS on unity since what i made gets a bit laggy after a little while and i can't quite figure out why (i tried profiler, different shaders, and optimizing everything i could think of, but still laggy). And also because 3DS is on it's way out and nobody will ever play what i make. But i'm a big unity nerd in general so i might be able to help with stuff.
Do you plan on distributing your game legally? since we own a nintendo SDK that means you also signed the NDA, therefore shouldn't share it freely on websites and such... right? maybe you know more about the legal part of it than i do.
In Unity 5, I scaled the skydome (mobile unlit) to 1000 on all axes, so it's huge. I then launched the game on 3DS, the thing was clipping out of the camera bounds. I can either set clipping distance to make it longer, or I would have to try to make the skydome smaller and make it follow the car.

I did sign the NDA also, but after frustrations with Unity I uninstalled everything.
I recently obtained Unity 5 3DS in a different way.
Btw, I probably won't share this game at all, and I won't publish it, however it might be okay to share the unity project folder...?

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can either set clipping distance to make it longer, or I would have to try to make the skydome smaller and make it follow the car.
Don't do the latter, it makes no sense. Just make it smaller or increase the clipping plane. I would make it smaller, since increasing the clipping plane would force the weak 3DS to render more objects and such, in case there's any besides the floor that is

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't do the latter, it makes no sense. Just make it smaller or increase the clipping plane. I would make it smaller, since increasing the clipping plane would force the weak 3DS to render more objects and such, in case there's any besides the floor that is
Good idea.

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question, are .ogg files supported on Unity 3DS? I have a script which increases the pitch of an audio file over speed, it seems to work in the editor, but on 3DS it cannot play the audio. I can post the script if that's okay.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Question, are .ogg files supported on Unity 3DS? I have a script which increases the pitch of an audio file over speed, it seems to work in the editor, but on 3DS it cannot play the audio. I can post the script if that's okay.
tbh im not sure if OGG is accepted, but the issue might be related to importing method. 3DS being so underpowered needs for you to be super careful about the importing method or it runs out of memory and stops playing the audios after a single loop, if it's a short audio, if it's gonna be played often or not, all those differences require different importing methods. Google unity's suggestions about it

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tbh im not sure if OGG is accepted, but the issue might be related to importing method. 3DS being so underpowered needs for you to be super careful about the importing method or it runs out of memory and stops playing the audios after a single loop, if it's a short audio, if it's gonna be played often or not, all those differences require different importing methods. Google unity's suggestions about it
I searched, and it turns out "Vorbis" is not supported, so that figures lmao

Reactions: placebo_yue

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't work still. I think this text is the issue (when selecting the car audio) "The selection contains sounds that are decompressed in hardware. Advanced mixing is not available for these sounds."
Keep in mind that I have overridden audio compression settings for 3DS, and I cannot seem to get rid of this message.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
did you try all the options? i don't have unity at hand now to check my 3ds project, but i think the issue might be on the "decompress on load" foldout. Try compressed in memory or streaming. If i recall correctly, streaming is used for longer tracks, music, always running, and compressed in memory is cool for small SFX. Also make sure to compress the audio with "optimize sample rate" and drop it to like 70% or lower if you can deal with the quality loss.
Which format are you using? did you try both PCM and ADPCM?

BTW, don't assume that because one audio is set in some way and some other in some other way, one should sound to figure out the right options. If any of the audios is badly set, it'll probably fuck up your whole app's audio (some memory overload thing i guess?) and prevent others from playing as well. Try having only one audio until you get that one playing and then add more and see how many it can handle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGzykqrsuM