Hardware Unerasable SDHC card

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...this thing is starting to drive me nuts. I'm not stupid, but this has me baffled. The problem is my SDHC card. It's a type 4 SanDisk SDHC card of 8 GB. I use it for swiss (in combination with a gecko-SD). Worked fine for months.
And now...it has become impossible to change anything for longer than a couple minutes. Every time I delete something, it comes back shortly afterwards. Adding something appears to work...but it disappears after a few minutes (or after unplugging/replugging it).

This card is NOT locked. I checked it more times than I can count. Besides: if I put it in the "locked" state and try to delete something, it immediately gives that "you don't have permission" warning. So it's not that...but what is?

The creepy thing is that any checks I throw at it don't seem to find anything wrong with it. scandisk and checkdisk don't find anything unusual. I even used minitool partition wizard and EASEUS partition manager to format the drive. It won't work. Either it gives a "There are some error uccurred while writing partition chains on disk." (EASEUs), or it lies to me that everything went well (minitool). When checking the file system and doing a surface error, neither program finds an error.
(with minitool, I even wiped the partition and changed everything with zeroes...even THAT didn't work).
It even goes so far that even changing the label gives a "this operation worked succesfully" mention, but that the label continues to be not there.

I tried looking online, but it's kinda hard to describe it in short words. There are some who may have the same issue when they were using their SD card in multiple cell phones. However, my card never even touched a cell phone (why should it? those things aren't powerfull enough for gamecube games ;) ).

It's certainly something with the card, though. I tried modifying it on 2 pc's and a laptop, on 2 different readers (and I know my SD-2-USB convertor works fine as I use it on a daily basis on other cards).

So hence this thread. Does someone has an idea what may be wrong or how to fix it? :unsure:

(and to those wondering: yes, the card works absolutely fine.It's just read-only...except that it's not).

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Tried reformatting using Panasonic sd formatter ? That's the best way to it through a computer but if you happen to have a camera or an ancient mobile somewhere that uses sds then they will be better for the job (I had a similar problem with a micro sd that I was only able to format using an old nokia I had) .

If it refuses to be reformated from all things then it might have a lose switch (probably not if you say you can lock it) , your pcs might be mistaking it for a read-only device (find it hard to believe that all 3 did that but trying wiixplorer to delete some stuff to prove that can't hurt) & finally the sd might just have something inside messed up & is ready to die (probably not but thought I might as wee mention it since its possible) .

Edit : Panasonic sd formatter have been renamed to just SD Formatter a while ago & is avaliable here if you are having trouble finding it .

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what the issue is , can you get windows to regonize the drive ? if so , copy and paste it contents to your hard drive.... then download this program called http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter20.html ..... I just googled and there is a newer version for windows 7 , vista , and xp which is here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=19364 but I get an error when trying to install this one. My first link , which I used to use under xp , works great , have had no reason to use it now . But the first link installed with no problems under windows 7 x64 . The second link gives me an error

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an issue exactly like this some months ago with an 8 GB microSDHC. You could copy data from the card but it acted as if it was locked entirely, which is impossible for microSDs, and when you did copy data to it, it would seem successful but would disappear if the window was refreshed. Tried formatting it and everything, but it just would not clear it. Even got those same "format partition" errors. I tried getting some help with it but no one could figure it out. In the end, we concluded that the card was simply failing or going bad, so I backed up the data and got a new one. To this day I have failed to come across a solution to this problem, so all I can tell you is that the card is probably failing and it's time to get a new one.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SD cards do wear out eventually (just like all other solid state storage media), at which point the sectors can no longer be reprogrammed. The fact that it "seems" to work for a few minutes is just due to the operating system caching disk access.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As a last resort before throwing it away you could test it with "badblocks" (unix/linux) or some similar windows tool.
Reply for a short badblocks tut if you need one.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the information, everyone. :)

@The_Dragons_Master & air2004: thanks for the tip. I just tried both SDFormatter 2.0 and 3.1, but both claim the SD card is in locked position (independant of what the lock is set to).

@PsyBlade: I'm using windows, but I have tried some regular scanning tools (as mentioned in the first post). If you know a good windows-based alternative, I'll try it if you want (it won't hurt...).

@tueidj: yeah...I figured it was rather the OS that assumed it was gone rather than it really reappearing. It was just the best way to describe the symptoms.

@demonicstrife: I kinda feared it would be something really bad with the card. Oh well...could be worse. At least it has some GC games on it that can play through swiss. :P

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well you can try h2testw . It is meant to test the sd speed & weather its fake or no but its the only good tool I know designed for sd testing . All the rest just search for hdd disks problem like bad sectors & similar stuff .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...