Undubs?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Shardnax, Oct 26, 2008.

Oct 26, 2008

Undubs? by Shardnax at 1:56 AM (2,609 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Shardnax
    OP

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I didn't quite know where to place this, so move it if I've got it in the wrong place.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what the purpose of undubbing all these games is?

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    For all the people who think it is cool to not understand a word coming out of a characters mouth.

3. theking_10

Newcomer theking_10 Advanced Member

United States
    What undubbing does to games is it switches the english voices with the japanese voices because some people think the japanese voices sound better...and cooler. [​IMG]

4. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    or less stupid and annoying.

5. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    but it's pointless how people needs to make a whole new thread for an undub. It's a simple process for most of the games.
    Extract the sound files from the japanese rom, and insert it into the english.
    I don't know why such needs a completely new thread each time. I'll take my time to write up different ways to do it, but I believe that even if I do so, it won't get as much attention anyways.
    Why don't a mod create an undub thread and sticky it? It's really not worth a whole new thread every release.

6. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Yeah, what's so hard about it? The "undub" process everyone talks about is nothing but switching files (heck, it's usually just one .sdat file) between the original and the redubbed version.

7. miruki

Germany
    Well, there are some cases where it isn't as simple as that, like Rune Factory. But usually, yes it's just switching one file with another and I don't get why someone needs to start a topic on something as simple as that either.

8. Shardnax
    OP

United States
    "or less stupid and annoying."

If that were the case I would've thought that the track would simply be removed. I've had my question answered; so this can be deleted or left to sit, thanks.

Edit:
    You pose a very good question Psycoblaster.

9. miruki

Germany
    Well, removing is not as simple as exchanging. And sadly not many games offer an option of turning characters voices off seperately, I mean, turning a single characters voice off, when you really can't stand it.

10. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    most sound data files are divided into smaller files. and in most of the roms i've looked into, the dubs are in wave files. So you can extract them, and insert a blank one.

11. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Yes. Many people find the American Naruto's signature "Believe it!!" pretty damn annoying. Me included. So switch the voices, and you'll still have all the writing in English but the sound changes to Jap.

If you want to see how to do it, I've made a thread and people taught me how to do it. Then I made a tutorial for newbies^^

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=110907&st=45

12. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    what you could have done was extract the sdat file, check for the "believe it!!" voice acting, and simply rename something and replace.

13. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    its not just "believe it!", I just dislike the whole american thing. Mainly believe it. Umm... so how does this 'check for the "believe it!!" voice acting, and simply rename something and replace' thing work? I think you should post your reply in my thread because I'm kinda hijacking here o.O

14. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    The sdat file is most of the time divided into sound files. What you can say is like the sdat is a zip file that contains more files inside.
    But MOST of the time, the sdat file contains every single portion of the game's sound separately into separate sound file.
    A good example will be tales of innocence. The voice acting are ALL separate. So if you don't like a small portion, make a copy of the voice acting that you actually do like, rename it to whatever you want to replace, and replace.

15. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany

i've never watched american naruto ...

so they translated "dattebayo" as "believe it" ??

omg

now i know why the crappy intro song always has that "believe it"-sample [​IMG]

16. Shardnax
    OP

United States
    Naruto is stupid, don't go turning this into a "I like Japanese anime VOs" thread please. Moo, you're within the topic well enough. I must say Psyco, this is quite informative [​IMG].

17. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    [​IMG]
    there are really many ways to undub, and it's one of the most simple form of rom hacking.
    It isn't actually a rom hack, but just a file swap. Everyone knows how to click the browse button, look for a ROM, click on a big square that says unpack, drag a file to the other, and click the next big square button that says repack.
    I don't really know why this process needs a new thread EVERY time.

And I think FAST created a thread about how he will take undub requests for the harder ROMs.
    So there you go everybody. To undub, go through a process that takes less than 5 minutes max.
    If it is a file that's not the common sound.sdat, give it to FAST.
    No need to a new thread every time an english version of the rom comes out.

18. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    I'm not turning it into anything. I'm simply stating a comment in my opinion and I'm only trying to help. You asked a question at the start, so it automatically implies that you want answers. If you're stating "Naruto is stupid", you're turning it into an "Anti-Naruto" thread. Undubbing is all about Japanese voices and English voices, and if you're not willing to accept an answer using Naruto as a simple example, then I won't post here.

19. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    THIS sentence was for you.

He never said how you turned this thread into something.
    He did NOT post that reply to say how naruto was stupid, but because the poster before him mentioned naruto, and he was trying to say how this thread wasn't meant to be a naruto english dub thread.

hehe moo, seriously. Don't post random crap when you don't even know what's going on.

20. Shardnax
    OP

United States
    Well, Psyco explained it for me so I won't bother. Did the thread for doing undubs get deleted; or does everyone just ignore it?

I'm sorry if you took that wrongly, as it wasn't intended for you Moo.