Hacking Unbricking regular 3DS

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a bricked 3ds caused by the r4igold without a nand dump. From what i understand is that you can unbrick this with the rasperry pi using an sd card mod?

now what im curious about is, is there an alternative to not solder onto the board? if not, is there a newb friendly guide(preferably video) for doing this mod for the regular 3ds?

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a bricked 3ds caused by the r4igold without a nand dump. From what i understand is that you can unbrick this with the rasperry pi using an sd card mod?

now what im curious about is, is there an alternative to not solder onto the board? if not, is there a newb friendly guide(preferably video) for doing this mod for the regular 3ds?

Nope. Its a solder only solution.

Noob friendly? With soldering there is no such thing. First and foremost, regular 3ds nand mod is harder due to space constraints. As for a link? You'll have to search for it in the forum.

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm afraid without a NAND dump you don't have any options.

Bricks like these actually lock your NAND (or at least the controller handling R/W operations to the NAND). The only way to unlock it without loss of data is by entering the password it was locked with, which is incredibly complex.
The software commonly used around here for unbricking resets the NAND. This means your entire NAND will get wiped, and you'll have to reflash your backup in order to get the device to work again.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm afraid without a NAND dump you don't have any options.

Bricks like these actually lock your NAND (or at least the controller handling R/W operations to the NAND). The only way to unlock it without loss of data is by entering the password it was locked with, which is incredibly complex.
The software commonly used around here for unbricking resets the NAND. This means your entire NAND will get wiped, and you'll have to reflash your backup in order to get the device to work again.

No completely true. It is possible to unbrick without the NAND backup.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-unbricking-progress.361171/page-36#post-4926197

Reactions: vassildador

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You would be better off sending it off to someone else to do the mod, there is no "easy" fix and the regular 3ds is much more trickier than the XL...........just accept it pay to get it fixed and learn from the mistake, it will likely be cheaper to send it off and get it done by someone who knows what they are doing than buying the stuff to do it

EDIT: just for the record which FW where you using? Was it the new one?

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Has to be either 3.1,3.2 , or the new one . Wonder if he was using one of the first ones since his last post was on december..

ryuga93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If you are going to solder the the 3ds then it is better to use the clock solder point under the mobo, but you will need to take the whole board out, and remember to use soldering flux. I don't recomend to solder the clock point as it is very small, unless you want to keep the mod. What I did is take a jumper, touch and hold on to the point while perform the unbrick

oogawooga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would be better off sending it off to someone else to do the mod, there is no "easy" fix and the regular 3ds is much more trickier than the XL...........just accept it pay to get it fixed and learn from the mistake, it will likely be cheaper to send it off and get it done by someone who knows what they are doing than buying the stuff to do it

EDIT: just for the record which FW where you using? Was it the new one?

i believe it was on 4.2u

Has to be either 3.1,3.2 , or the new one . Wonder if he was using one of the first ones since his last post was on december..

so does this mean i can't unbrick it now?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
:O the r4i gold firmware was on 3.2 i believe
oh, okies, just wanted to make sure it wasn't the new one they released the other day, i cant think of the people who where offering the unbrick service in america, but i will have a look for the thread from back when they all happened.....once your unbricked dont use 3.1 or 3.2, it seems the new one they put out is ok, but i still suggest you use 3.0 or 3.3b until we hear more :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Here I am to save the day!!! LOL Luckily I still use my RPi for RaspBMC. I PM'ed him already.
haha i just found you in the thread, was about to link you :P
yeah my raspi is a dedicated xbmc machine now :D but should the need arise again, i actually have someone who may be getting it done, seems the bricks crept out the woodwork :P

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha i just found you in the thread, was about to link you :P
yeah my raspi is a dedicated xbmc machine now :D but should the need arise again, i actually have someone who may be getting it done, seems the bricks crept out the woodwork :P

I hear you! I've had a couple in the last few weeks. Even an install of a mini USB port on an original 3DS for sawyer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You too