Unbanning Switch

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So many crys about piracy, and if is not for piracy you wont use these emulators and roms so dumbie reasonament
For dumping games you don't need piracy patches...
For running CFW, dumping and debugging system stuff you don't need piracy patches...
For dumping decryption keys you don't need piracy patches...

Switch emulators don't need piracy to exist.
Try better next time, newbie. :rofl2:

ElHave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
For dumping games you don't need piracy patches...
For running CFW, dumping and debugging system stuff you don't need piracy patches...
For dumping decryption keys you don't need piracy patches...

Switch emulators don't need piracy to exist.
Try better next time, newbie. :rofl2:
Who mean dumping, and also dump is make pirate file so lol, Cwf is itself pirate software lol dump and debug stuff without official tools also is pirate.... shut up please you speak without knowledge, without piracy, switch emulators wont exist, try better you noob.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who mean dumping, and also dump is make pirate file so lol, Cwf is itself pirate software lol dump and debug stuff without official tools also is pirate.... shut up please you speak without knowledge, without piracy, switch emulators wont exist, try better you noob.
First of all I would work on your grammar so I can actually read your post. Past that though it depends how you describe piracy. But the actual definition of the word means stealing and/or copywrite infringement. Though ripping your own cartridges is perfectly fine if you are not distributing them. There are quite a number of Switch emulator users like myself who don't pirate anything. My entire library on emulator is 100% dumped from my official cartridges. Please do us all a favor and do not call out other people when you are unsure yourself. Especially when you called out a developer.

ElHave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First of all I would work on your grammar so I can actually read your post. Past that though it depends how you describe piracy. But the actual definition of the word means stealing and/or copywrite infringement. Though ripping your own cartridges is perfectly fine if you are not distributing them. There are quite a number of Switch emulator users like myself who don't pirate anything. My entire library on emulator is 100% dumped from my official cartridges. Please do us all a favor and do not call out other people when you are unsure yourself. Especially when you called out a developer.
Cwf is not legal, and more of then use it on consoles, or on emulators on pc, even if you have your own copyes, and all depends on your country laws to get your copys legally or not. And avoid that arrogant actitude of language, anyone writes how they can. He is a developer and, you know who can i am, you know about the false posture to mantain that emulators saying they not promote piracy, but emulators are used for piracy in most of cases? he called me first noob so please dont make the same and then cry when i reply the same lol

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cwf is not legal, and more of then use it on consoles, or on emulators on pc, even if you have your own copyes, and all depends on your country laws to get your copys legally or not. And avoid that arrogant actitude of language, anyone writes how they can. He is a developer and, you know who can i am, you know about the false posture to mantain that emulators saying they not promote piracy, but emulators are used for piracy in most of cases? he called me first noob so please dont make the same and then cry when i reply the same lol
Look man. I get that you have a very very strong opinion here. I am just trying to state things as they are. I apologize if this is not something you are able to accept. But saying that piracy is required for emulation is just factually wrong. Same thing with CFW. CFW on its own is perfectly legal. But things that are possible under it can very much be illegal.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not entirely true, pirates are the only legit excuse they have for not wanting people to hack their switch.
Nintendo has always been extremely focused on stopping piracy. This was more obvious than ever with the N64 and Gamecube. With the Switch they very very clearly heavily focused on software security. Horizon is an extremely secure OS and basically has no exploits that we can make use of. If it wasnt for the hardware team screwing up with the Tegra X1 chip the switch would be mostly unhackable.

ElHave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Look man. I get that you have a very very strong opinion here. I am just trying to state things as they are. I apologize if this is not something you are able to accept. But saying that piracy is required for emulation is just factually wrong. Same thing with CFW. CFW on its own is perfectly legal. But things that are possible under it can very much be illegal.
ok because is totally legal go and send your switch with cfw to nintendo offical repair, and ask for support because is ``legal´´ lol

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok because is totally legal go and send your switch with cfw to nintendo offical repair, and ask for support because is ``legal´´ lol
It very much is legal yes. If Nintendo clearly saw you had a modded system they would ban it. Also their TOS specifically states that they are allowed to deny service.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone get arrested for sending their switch in for repairs. No. Nintendo just swaps the motherboard or refuses to service. So no it isn't illegal. Unless your country has some bullshit law saying you can't modify your stuff.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using your logic, if I install Windows on my PC am I breaking the law because I could run pirated games? If I download a torrent client and use it to download Linux ISOs from the official source am I breaking the law because I could be using it to download pirated content?

ElHave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Using your logic, if I install Windows on my PC am I breaking the law because I could run pirated games? If I download a torrent client and use it to download Linux ISOs from the official source am I breaking the law because I could be using it to download pirated content?
Widows is official product of microsoft, cwf is not official product of nintendo to be installed on their systems. You think like stone?

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo has always been extremely focused on stopping piracy. This was more obvious than ever with the N64 and Gamecube. With the Switch they very very clearly heavily focused on software security. Horizon is an extremely secure OS and basically has no exploits that we can make use of. If it wasnt for the hardware team screwing up with the Tegra X1 chip the switch would be mostly unhackable.
They want to stop more than piracy, they don't even want to let you back up your saves to an sd card. Again, piracy is the excuse for them to be able to completely lock down the system and not let people use it the way they want. Region locking is another example of the control they insist on. Nintendo also wants to make sure nobody can distribute software without going through them, that includes free homebrew stuff. Legally, the only leg Nintendo has to stand on is the piracy excuse.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Widows is official product of microsoft, cwf is not official product of nintendo to be installed on their systems. You think like stone?
So are only large companies allowed to make software of any kind legally? Where do you even draw the line? A lot of things can technically allow piracy even if it is not their main goal. The only case to say CFW would not be legal is if it contains proprietary content such as code or images. However, Atmosphere was created via a clean room reverse engineering process which has been tested in court before to be a legal practice. Even if it would enable piracy. Search for info on Sega vs Accolade.

dogtygr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are only large companies allowed to make software of any kind legally? Where do you even draw the line? A lot of things can technically allow piracy even if it is not their main goal. The only case to say CFW would not be legal is if it contains proprietary content such as code or images. However, Atmosphere was created via a clean room reverse engineering process which has been tested in court before to be a legal practice. Even if it would enable piracy. Search for info on Sega vs Accolade.
I don't know if this is a grey area so take this with a grain of salt but cfw like Atmosphere or Lockpick_rcm use some private keys I don't know how legal this is

Last edited by dogtygr,

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is a grey area so take this with a grain of salt but cfw like Atmosphere or Lockpick_rcm use some private keys I don't know legal this is
Afaik Atmosphere doesn't contain them but sigpatches do (don't know enough about it internally to say) but if you remember the Dolphin drama, they had talked to a lawyer about a similar issue and it turns out it shouldn't be a problem.

You can read this for details:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2023/07/20/what-happened-to-dolphin-on-steam/

dogtygr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik Atmosphere doesn't contain them but sigpatches do (don't know enough about it internally to say) but if you remember the Dolphin drama, they had talked to a lawyer about a similar issue and it turns out it shouldn't be a problem.

You can read this for details:
I can't send a link but you can clearly see in the code source that atmosphere uses private keys for example and it is clearly visible. I think the problem is more with publishing the keys to be available for everyone (that's why you can't just share your keys.txt to people) than using it

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't send a link but you can clearly see in the code source that atmosphere uses private keys for example and it is clearly visible. I think the problem is more with publishing the keys to be available for everyone (that's why you can't just share your keys.txt to people) than using it
Going off what the lawyer Dolphin talked to said, even that shouldn't be a problem. Just better to err on the side of caution and not share where possible. And didn't know Atmosphere itself contains keys. But still should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle