Unable to Reset Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Skeet1983, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I am selling my Sager NP9377 Laptop, but unable to do a factory reset. It came with Windows 8, but I have since upgraded to 10. It keeps giving error when I try to do factory reset. I do not have any Win 10 discs... What can I do? Please help and thoughts appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. kornychaos

kornychaos Organized.

Jul 7, 2007
    United States
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can download the ISO from Microsoft using this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Wait, what? I am confused... Please please help, I just sold this laptop on ebay...

5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    download thw windows 10 iso from the provided links above, make a bootable usb with rufus and the iso and go to your bios settings to select the usb as the boot drive to do a fresh install. problem solved.

6. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Should I be worried about it failing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ricken

Ricken We'll Carry On

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    It really shouldn't fail

8. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Ok, I booted to USB and it started windows install. Do I choose upgrade, or custom?

Please help... I don't want to mess this up. I sold laptop on ebay

9. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    Custom. Delete all the drives and then install windows to the unallocated drive space.

VinsCool likes this.
  10. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Yup when you do a factory reset it just reinstalls windows from an image on the recovery partition. Obviously there was no image, most likely you would have had to use the proprietary reset/restore software from the maker of the laptop. Acer for example is known to use their own recovery/restore partitioning.

Installing from a windows ISO is not the best way. You should have used the proprietary software/rescue image if your laptop was from Acer/Dell/Toshiba, etc etc.

You may have driver issues with the new installation now, some hardware may not function properly. The best thing to do would have been backing up all the drivers with "Double Driver" or equivalent software beforehand.

Windows 10 is pretty good and supports way more hardware than in the past. Hopefully everything works, I would test it all out before shipping it. Card readers/wifi/video/trackpad/chipset/etc. You can most likely find all the proper drivers from the makers website if you need to.

Or you could leave it up to the buyer, buyer beware after all.

11. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Ok, here is where I am at:

I am selling this laptop on ebay. I did a Windows 10 reset, but now I am unable to delete the "Windows.old" directory. I was able to delete most files in it, but not all. Directory/Folder is now about 4MB in size. Laptop already sold, I am just now trying to get it ready for shipping. Help appreciated on all this [​IMG]

Everything seems to be working fine (Drivers, Wifi, Touchpad, etc.). Just worried about this stupid "Windows.old" directory :P

12. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Running "Disk Cleanup" (just type it in the bottom left windows menu) should delete the Windows.old folder.

13. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Why?? Why would you manually delete it?

Just run "Disk Cleanup", select "Cleanup System Files" and then make sure to check "Previous Windows Installations"

EDIT: Sniped...

14. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I am afraid doing that would remove windows... Disk cleanup for that part was about 100mb, but folder is only 4mb now?

Edit: I did what you said, but folder remains

Last edited by Skeet1983, Apr 14, 2017
  15. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    All it removes is leftover files from the old installation. It should completely remove the windows.old folder. If you are unsure there are about half a dozen really well written tutorials just a search away
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-delete-windows-old-folder-windows-10-a.html

16. srxfanbz

srxfanbz Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Last edited by srxfanbz, Apr 26, 2017
  17. Waniller

Waniller Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2017
    New Caledonia
    On one have tried the Super Admin Account , which is a free tool, it can be used to reset or remove password of the locked account , and provides us with a chance to reset Windows password

18. Lomserh

Lomserh Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2017
    New Caledonia
    The Super Admin Account is a bit hard for beginner , it seems that free tools are much more complicated,
    Maybe you can search Tunesbro,Recoverywindowspassword on Google , you will get some tutorials

Last edited by Lomserh, Sep 4, 2017
  19. Oanksser

Oanksser Newbie

Newcomer
    Yesterday
    New Caledonia
    I'll do as you say, thanks ,