Snowmanne

OP
Trophies
Website
Snowmanne.DeviantArt.com
XP
Country
United States
I get "windows was unable to complete the format" error when I try to format my micro sd card on my computer. So I check everywhere in the drive and I find a folder that gives me "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error when I try to delete or access it. I can delete everything else but it reappears after I reinserted the drive. I tried to format with command prompt and I get "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable." This all happen after I tried to format it on my phone and connected it to my PC. I'm using windows xp pro build 2600 sp 3 and my micro sd card is a sandisk.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If all else fails use a live version of linux with gparted, it never fails (as long as it isnt dead that is)

Snowmanne

OP
Trophies
Website
Snowmanne.DeviantArt.com
XP
Country
United States
It could be that it's died and/or locked in read-only.
How would I unlock it from being read only?
Try to format it with the Panasonic SDFormatter
I tried it but I get "the memory card is write protected. please release the write protect switch" which I did do many times.
If all else fails use a live version of linux with gparted, it never fails (as long as it isnt dead that is)
Where would I go to get it and how to install it.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It could be that it's died and/or locked in read-only.
How would I unlock it from being read only?
Try to format it with the Panasonic SDFormatter
I tried it but I get "the memory card is write protected. please release the write protect switch" which I did do many times.
Where would I go to get it and how to install it.

RIP Linux - Here

Download the iso and burn it to a cd, and RIP doesnt stand for Rest in Peace it stands for Recovery Is Possible

you load it up and when you get to the commant prompt (terminal) type "root" and then you'll have # appear, you then type "startx" you'll then get a solid blue background, right click and a list will pop up, it resembles the start menu in windows 95, go down to partition and select gparted. Make sure you select the right drive before you delete or format anything because if you mess up and choose the wrong drive you can accidently wipe windows off your pc, its hard to do though so I wouldn't worry much, just choose the 32gb drive from the drop down menu in the top right of the gparted window (it'll be called something like /dev/sdx 32gb). As long as you pay attention to what you see you should be fine

You run this off a cd (you can use usb but its always good to have a copy in storage, thats why i recommend cd) and boot your pc with the cd in, it will load directly into linux, when you want to use windows again shutdown pc and remove disk

Alternatively you can just use a gparted live disk (download Here) but I prefer RIP linux as it has a few other programs that can help you if ever you pc goes wrong, like Hard drive failure etc, very good for recovering files off faulty drives

Edit
One more thing if you can use a usb adapter for the micro sd, I have problems on my laptop with a micro sd to SD card adapter, linux refuses to see mine, might be different for you though

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it is locked in read only, there are two possible reasons. The first is that it might have a little slider that's been moved into the "lock" position (if you're using a SD card adaptor for the microSD, then it could be that one which is locked and not the microSD card). Check everywhere, on every adaptor, for this. Make sure none of them are in the "lock" position.

If the slider is not the issue, then it's possible that the microSD has exceeded its write limits, so it can no longer write any data to its cells. This would mean that it is dead and cannot be used again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head