Umm...where's the new firmware?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Mr.Guy, May 23, 2008.

1. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden

I find this post rather amusing...
    A game that has been out for quite a long time now obviously doesnt work... and you notice it now, meaning that you're not that interested in it.. and because of that you have to change flashcart? [​IMG]
    no flaming or anything.. just.. sounds funny ^^

I don't see any reason for me to change... it suits all my needs: homebrew, playing games, and has a fast and easy menu... i dont want / need anything else (oh, and the cheat thing is great for those times i wanna cheat!)

2. R2DJ

R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    R.I.P...

One of my friends bought an R4 and I asked her...why?

3. SkH

SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2006
    Algeria
    Because of the menu? I mean, it have the most perfect one. that Original Icon&TextBox... [​IMG]

4. Swip

Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    Compare the menu to the AK2.

5. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    What is Acekard 2's menu design?

6. THeLL

THeLL GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2004
    Netherlands
    Ontopic please.

R4 DS isn't dead, they just don't update firmware constantly for all releases. Have patience.

7. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    I was just curious as Swip told SkH to compare R4DS menu desing with Acekard 2's [​IMG]

8. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Its not dead yet but its close. Due to hardware limitations, there won't be any new features and all you can ever hope for now are just compatibility fixes. So basicly what you have now, is basicly all it will ever be unless the R4 team releases a new flashcard with new hardware. So don't expect any big changes.

9. Goofy Time

Goofy Time GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2007
    United States
    Are people really expecting big changes?

Really, anyone expecting anything beyond compatibility fixes at this point may as well buy another card.

10. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Yes, they are

11. jan777

jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Jan 4, 2008
    custom r4 firmware FTW

12. vivienne

vivienne Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Quite agree with you. I bought one without DISC.
    So i need to download from the website.
    It is not so convenience.

13. Swip

Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    The disc probably would've had outdated firmware on it anyway.

14. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Yeah, the CD contains outdated firmware, maybe it was meant as a rescue-disk in case you didn't backup your firmware. But it contains R4 Cheat Code Editor, R4 ROM Trimmer and help files, pretty much useful

But, why do you have to download from the official website? Shouldn't it be pre-loaded with the latest firmware already?

And here the thread has went far from the OP's original intention..... [​IMG]

15. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Because they can't update the CDs once they are made? When the CDs are first created, they contain the latest firmware but end up being stocked up and sit inside a warehouse for a while until they are sold, hence why they come with out dated firmware. They include the firmware for those without an active internet connection and can't download the latest version. The best option is to go to the website itself and download the latest version.

Also the R4 ROM Trimmer sucks, never use it, it can actually break some of your games and cause them to freeze or not work over WiFI, this is taken from first hand experience. Also it takes quite a while to trim the rom with it. Stick with NDSTokoyoTrim, its arguably the best NDS trimmer out there and lets you batch trim multiple games at once.

Also don't use the R4 Cheat Code Editor as well, it can actually corrupt some cheat database files and freezes quite a bit with some codes or on large cheat files. Stick with the R4CCE by Yasu instead. Its the best cheat editor for the R4 right now.

16. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    What? So the R4CCE you people talking about was made by YASU? I thought it was the official R4CCE [​IMG]

Iwasn't pointing about the ROMTrimme, although I admit my sentence looks like it (just realized it now). I was pointing at the help files. It contains some useful helps for beginners and forgetful person

And I think I'l buy your theory of the outdated firmware. Still, wonder if they'll pack latest firmware, now that they beagn producing again (or so I heard)

17. Tikker

Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    why bother including physical media?

whoever has an R4 will have internet access (you have to download your homebrew from somewhere)

18. jan777

jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Jan 4, 2008
    well in some places *cough* nds roms can be bought for P50 or about $2 and ones who buy those doesnt know about homebrew

hell i think im the only one in our school who knows the meaning of homebrew

19. Raestloz

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Same for me.

Here the user of NDS is pretty decent in number.

Hell, maybe the only one who know what an R4, M3, EZFlash 3-in-1, homebrew, ROM is me in my entire school

20. Mr.Guy
    OP

Mr.Guy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Now I'm just getting pissed... at first I wanted to play the game but now... I just want to have a piece of electronic equipment to not have a compatibility issue. (Vista is a waste of time [​IMG])