Gaming UMDs PWN!

Godot0102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blurays would be useful as offline storage, BRs stores 25gb or more. HDDVD could only store 15gb and it used the same manufacturing process as DVD so it could be less expensive.

There are people that would use their psp more if they could burn UMDs, instead of using the memory stick. It would probably be alot more inexpensive perhaps to buy recordable umds? I like using the memory stick though it is tedious to put them in.

Isn't the UMD just a larger mini disc anyway? Minidisc has been around for quite awhile.

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like watching BR movies on my HDTV. I never bought the addon for the Xbox 360 for HDDVD as it seemed like it would go to waste =\. Guess I was right.

monopoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol funny how many people back in 2006 was like lolz Blu-Ray is gonna fail how wrong they were. Now the long process of taking away market share from DVD begins.

Eventually once the price is down far enough DVD will slowly fade away and people will be forced to upgrade. By this time 4-5 years down the line players will be 100 or so a movie will cost 15-20 or so and you can rent any new title and quite a few old ones.

If you thought VHS was only worth the upgrade for the no need to rewind and a easier storage since its a disc then hate to break it to you but when everyone has a HDTV. Most people will be happy to convert especially if its just as cheap as a DVD player will be and since all the new movies might go Blu-Ray only.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
monopoman said:
Lol funny how many people back in 2006 was like lolz Blu-Ray is gonna fail how wrong they were. Now the long process of taking away market share from DVD begins.

Eventually once the price is down far enough DVD will slowly fade away and people will be forced to upgrade. By this time 4-5 years down the line players will be 100 or so a movie will cost 15-20 or so and you can rent any new title and quite a few old ones.

If you thought VHS was only worth the upgrade for the no need to rewind and a easier storage since its a disc then hate to break it to you but when everyone has a HDTV. Most people will be happy to convert especially if its just as cheap as a DVD player will be and since all the new movies might go Blu-Ray only.

The cost of Blu-Ray players has gone up since HD DVD died. HD DVD should have won, it was best for consumers. A 2 hour 1080 movie takes 15GB of space, 25 is more than enough + extras.

monopoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:
The cost of Blu-Ray players has gone up since HD DVD died. HD DVD should have won, it was best for consumers. A 2 hour 1080 movie takes 15GB of space, 25 is more than enough + extras.
Yeah of course they are up HD DVD was nearly breaking the bank trying to match Blu-Rays popularity thats why they were giving away HD-DVD players for nothing.

Eventually Blu-Ray prices will fall right now its really only a preferable format to hardcore movie buffs with a sweet system. Eventually everyone will have a TV worthy of it and then people will slowly convert.

Its similar to how they run consoles it just takes a lot longer. The main reason people buy a PS3 or a 360 is because new games stop coming out on the old system.

PS2 is defying the PS3 by still making quality titles but if your a Xbox fan and you refuse to buy a 360 you will never play a new Xbox game again. Once you can't buy the latest movie on a format that format starts to become bargain bin and the throw away format.

I know if I was dead set on buying "latest blockbuster here" in 5-6 years and I could only get it for Blu-Ray I would be a bit peeved if I had a DVD player only. I would probably consider getting a Blu-Ray player or PS3 at that time if I didn't have one already.

Thats how it works plenty of people were happy with VHS despite what randoms will tell you but they upgraded cause the latest movies were NOT coming out on VHS.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PS3 is the only Blu-Ray player worth owning ... factor in costs & capabilities ... not least of which are the facts that it plays games & is 100% upgradable ... Blu-RAy 2.0, anyone? ... and it kills the others dead in the water.

I wonder how the rest of the Blu-Ray Group ... Apple, Disney et al. ... feel about the PS3 in the Blu-Ray scheme of things?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
monopoman said:
when everyone has a HDTV.

Until someone brings out something with a significantly higher resolution (i.e. one that has not been readily available for nearly as long as I have, is effective to try and use (note not easy as easy too often means it does not do anything well when I need it to) and carries something to show for it) "HD" can carry on being the bastard child of marketing people and TV makers and a quick poll of most people I know would seem to indicate I am not alone.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:

If by "best for consumers" you mean "inferior technologically, but marginally cheaper," then yes, it was best for consumers. Leaving 10 GB of space for extras is not enough in my eyes. That's essentially one DVD disc worth of extras, which doesn't hold up under the weight of HD content.

Besides, your math is off a little. Assuming a 2 hour movie at the max Blu-Ray video bitrate of 40Mbps, a 2 hour movie will take 35GB, or more than a HD-DVD disc can handle (which only supports 28Mbps bitrate on video). 40Mb x 60sec x 60 min x 2 hrs = 288,000 Mb / 1,024 (remember kids, 1G = 1,024M!), divide that by 8 for the bit to byte conversion and you get just over 35GB. Same 2 hour video at 28Mbps is about 24.6GB.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
The PS3 is the only Blu-Ray player worth owning ... factor in costs & capabilities ... not least of which are the facts that it plays games & is 100% upgradable ... Blu-RAy 2.0, anyone? ... and it kills the others dead in the water.

I wonder how the rest of the Blu-Ray Group ... Apple, Disney et al. ... feel about the PS3 in the Blu-Ray scheme of things?

you can buy a blu-ray drive for pc for around 150, 100% upgradeable too
Its a much better idea then buying a Ps3 in my view, just build your own media centre

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
xblackoutx said:
my opinion of psps and sony in general is that they suck. a flash card instantly makes a DS way better

Keep your fanboyism out of the Sony section then.

One thing I don't get.
With bluray and ulrta high def tv's, is there THAT much o a difference?
Like seriously such a large amount that you would spend so much on it?

You're talking about 28mbps video and 40 mbps video...
Would normal people even get that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: maybe tomorrow lol