Hardware Ultimately, how powerful is the Switch GPU?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I certainly hope it doesn't get such support I have no interest in bad ports of third party titles I bought a switch with the hope of a handful of exclusives.
It's that kind of thought pattern that creates the vicious cycle Nintendo is in now, and has been in since the 64.

If nobody is developing for it, games aren't being made. No games, fewer and fewer will actually buy or keep the thing. Fewer buyers, fewer developers bother to put any effort into the games. On and on.

Nintendo already did a fantastic job scaring people off with the 64, ignoring the gamers with the GameCube, catering to hyper casuals with the Wii, and confusing everyone with the WiiU so it sold like boxed cancer. Now the switch wants to be sold as a replacement for the 3ds and WiiU, to cater to smelly otaku kids that buy the Vita in droves in Japan. And apparently, nowhere else.

I wish I was joking when I say that the only thing that I care to play on the switch is no more heroes 3. But there really isn't anything, first or third party, I see that I'd want the system for.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they were already getting cosy with NVIDIA for the Tegra CPU/GPU combo, Nintendo could easily have worked out a favorable term to get a stronger dedicated GPU in there as well, and maybe even an internal SLI going.

What good is a laptop if the game(s) you want to play aren't available for it?

But at the same token, what good is the switch going to look when its battery won't even last an hour with its current configuration, and won't even keep a fluid experience in the games it's meant to have made for it?

If the Switch had a 1080 GPU, it wouldn't even last more than a hour, as it stands, it lasts 3-6 *shrug*. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, beggars can't be choosers. People need to stop focusing on what hardware it should've had and enjoy, but oh no, that's too much to ask for it seems *sigh*.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If the Switch had a 1080 GPU, it wouldn't even last more than a hour, as it stands, it lasts 3-6 *shrug*. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, beggars can't be choosers. People need to stop focusing on what hardware it should've had and enjoy, but oh no, that's too much to ask for it seems *sigh*.
An hour? On idle maybe.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you seriously believe the switch can last six hours on battery, then you're part of the problem right there. The same people that say the switch lasts six hours on battery are the same people that try to act like the battery in a modern phone can actually last a full day of usage, while my existing phone barely survived a single hour of gaming before whining for a recharge.

And within a year, said battery life will be cut in half. If not sooner. But of course Nintendo made it nonremovable. So you're paying $300+ to rent the stupid thing.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my existing phone barely survived a single hour of gaming before whining for a recharge
Apparently your phone is shite.

And within a year, said battery life will be cut in half.
Bullshit. I have not witnessed this in any of my hundreds of batteries. (Drones/Laptops/Phones/Misc. Devices/Dashcams/Backup Units/Tools/Vapes)

Nintendo made it nonremovable
Anyone with half a brain can open it up and replace it. Or send it to Nintendo for battery replacement when the time comes.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you seriously believe the switch can last six hours on battery, then you're part of the problem right there. The same people that say the switch lasts six hours on battery are the same people that try to act like the battery in a modern phone can actually last a full day of usage, while my existing phone barely survived a single hour of gaming before whining for a recharge.

And within a year, said battery life will be cut in half. If not sooner. But of course Nintendo made it nonremovable. So you're paying $300+ to rent the stupid thing.

And yet many people with the same sentiments as you seem to expect the Switch to have hardware equivalent to a laptop, which would cut the battery life even more and jack up the price. Not gonna happen, at least not for 300 dollars. :ph34r::rolleyes: Nintendo will replace the battery for a fee, but not for something expensive, and there are ways to remove the battery that by the time the warranty expires, it won't matter.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no choice but to settle on the phone I have now because it was the only such with universal carrier support at the time that still had an SD in it. None of them have removable batteries, and if anything, the problem is even worse now.

This things barely a year old and it's already proven to be worse than even six months ago, much less when it was new. The switch is no different.

Oh, sure, there are guides to disassemblethe unit, but no guides to reassemble without it basically not being able to stay together. None of them address what to do once the glue is removed from the backing. And nobody will make a modded back or larger capacity battery for it.

In much the same way, the switch is a glorified tablet made in such a way that replacing or putting a bigger battery in it, is out of the question. So if marketing claims six hours, what they're really telling you is two hours, best case scenario.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Care to explain why the 3DS, being weaker than Wii U and all other consoles, got more games?

You can compare 3DS with Vita, you can't compare it with Wii-U.

The number of third party games is purely down to sales projections.

I had no choice but to settle on the phone I have now because it was the only such with universal carrier support at the time that still had an SD in it. None of them have removable batteries, and if anything, the problem is even worse now.

Lack of SD and replaceable batteries is a real problem, but what phones are exclusively carrier locked? My phone has a 4" screen and is now 5 years old, I'd replace it if I could find a decent one that was the same size.

Last edited by smf,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This things barely a year old and it's already proven to be worse than even six months ago, much less when it was new. The switch is no different.

Oh, sure, there are guides to disassemblethe unit, but no guides to reassemble without it basically not being able to stay together. None of them address what to do once the glue is removed from the backing. And nobody will make a modded back or larger capacity battery for it.

In much the same way, the switch is a glorified tablet made in such a way that replacing or putting a bigger battery in it, is out of the question. So if marketing claims six hours, what they're really telling you is two hours, best case scenario.

That doesn't answer my question though, why the hell do people expect there to be super high-end hardware in a tablet? It's never going to happen, not without heating issues, a very high price tag and piss poor battery life. People sure have a hard time accepting the fact that it is what it is; if they don't like it, they should get a more powerful tablet for a higher premium.

You can compare 3DS with Vita, you can't compare it with Wii-U.

The number of third party games is purely down to sales projections.
Thus proving hardware doesn't mean jack if the software isn't there.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet many people with the same sentiments as you seem to expect the Switch to have hardware equivalent to a laptop, which would cut the battery life even more and jack up the price. Not gonna happen, at least not for 300 dollars. :ph34r::rolleyes: Nintendo will replace the battery for a fee, but not for something expensive, and there are ways to remove the battery that by the time the warranty expires, it won't matter.
Yes, since Nintendo, like Apple, seems to think only they are worthy of servicing or repairing their consoles, and refuse to supply parts or manuals for the savvy to do it themselves.

It's distressing that "right to repair" has to be a thing for electronics now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That doesn't answer my question though, why the hell do people expect there to be super high-end hardware in a tablet? It's never going to happen, not without heating issues, a very high price tag and piss poor battery life. People sure have a hard time accepting the fact that it is what it is; if they don't like it, they should get a more powerful tablet for a higher premium.

Thus proving hardware doesn't mean jack if the software isn't there.
Because as it is, I see it as renting the system for $300+ USD per year. Over the useful lifetime of the unit, that would be $900-1500 for the switch hardware.

I expect it to be durable. Especially since Nintendo will kill off the DS line in favor of this hunk of junk.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, since Nintendo, like Apple, seems to think only they are worthy of servicing or repairing their consoles, and refuse to supply parts or manuals for the savvy to do it themselves.

It's distressing that "right to repair" has to be a thing for electronics now.

Because as it is, I see it as renting the system for $300+ USD per year. Over the useful lifetime of the unit, that would be $900-1500 for the switch hardware.

I expect it to be durable. Especially since Nintendo will kill off the DS line in favor of this hunk of junk.

I don't know what to suggest, man, the DS has had a good run, but I'm not particularly a huge fan of it. It's time they move on. Nintendo isn't that stupid, you're not going to be "renting" and replacing it for 300 every year. Where the actual hell did you pull those facts from, 4chan? You're not renting anything for a year and replacing it each subsequent year, come back in a year and prove me wrong, the battery isn't going to die in a year, stop overexaggerating.

I call BS.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's that kind of thought pattern that creates the vicious cycle Nintendo is in now, and has been in since the 64.

If nobody is developing for it, games aren't being made. No games, fewer and fewer will actually buy or keep the thing. Fewer buyers, fewer developers bother to put any effort into the games. On and on.

Nintendo already did a fantastic job scaring people off with the 64, ignoring the gamers with the GameCube, catering to hyper casuals with the Wii, and confusing everyone with the WiiU so it sold like boxed cancer. Now the switch wants to be sold as a replacement for the 3ds and WiiU, to cater to smelly otaku kids that buy the Vita in droves in Japan. And apparently, nowhere else.

I wish I was joking when I say that the only thing that I care to play on the switch is no more heroes 3. But there really isn't anything, first or third party, I see that I'd want the system for.
What, not even Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey?

Worst case scenario (playing BotW on high brightness) people are getting 3 hours out of the Switch with a little battery left to spare, that's not too far off from how much people were getting out of the 3DS when it first launched, the 3DS XL has a slightly better battery life but not by much. It's not unreasonable that a 2D/indie game would give you 6 hours of battery life, but that's pretty much a best case scenario.
If you want a better battery life, get the battery bank case that someone is releasing for it, or get a powerbank. The Switch is already bulky enough for my taste, I wouldn't want it to be even more bulky and I certainly wouldn't want it to be less powerful just to lighten the battery usage.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Apple, seems to think only they are worthy of servicing
As a person that makes money repairing things on the side I have had no issues repairing apple hardware. Just like cars, everything is getting smaller and tighter. I could sit in the engine bay of my 1976 K30, but can't even fit my hand in some cars engine bays nowadays.

There are tons of great guides if you just spend the time looking for them.

Here, I'll give you a head start: https://www.ifixit.com/

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying the switch is terribly bad. After all, it is going to get Skyrim Enhanced Edition which does require pretty powerful setups. Not to mention, the batman games. So yes, I believe even KH3 in UE4 could make it there.

I know for sure I'd love to see Metal Gear Solid 4...
Actually all signs currently point to the original 2011 ver being ported, not the special edition, also none of the batman games have been confirmed.

Reactions: DrkBeam

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, not even Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey?
I've never liked any of the Zelda games. Period.

Mario Odyssey is the first in a long time that has me interested in it again, if in part because I was already tired of nsmb and the 3d land/world games.

Literally the only thing coming to the switch I care about is no more heroes 3. I had bought a 3ds at launch expecting saints row because Nintendo hyped that up, and it never came. So I'm not even trying to buy a switch until that game is out, and I have a copy of it in hand.

Worst case scenario (playing BotW on high brightness) people are getting 3 hours out of the Switch with a little battery left to spare, that's not too far off from how much people were getting out of the 3DS when it first launched, the 3DS XL has a slightly better battery life but not by much. It's not unreasonable that a 2D/indie game would give you 6 hours of battery life, but that's pretty much a best case scenario.
If you want a better battery life, get the battery bank case that someone is releasing for it, or get a powerbank. The Switch is already bulky enough for my taste, I wouldn't want it to be even more bulky and I certainly wouldn't want it to be less powerful just to lighten the battery usage.
I already have to juggle a damn external battery for my phone. All that's done is wear out the phone faster. By that extension, all having an extra battery for the switch will do is ensure its battery won't work within six months to a year. And that the whole thing will need to be replaced because it's designed in such a way that even if you could disassemble the system, you'll break more than half of it to get to the battery, much less replace it.

I'm sick or tech companies acting like removable batteries are some kind of cardinal sin in design. :wacko:

As a person that makes money repairing things on the side I have had no issues repairing apple hardware. Just like cars, everything is getting smaller and tighter. I could sit in the engine bay of my 1976 K30, but can't even fit my hand in some cars engine bays nowadays.

There are tons of great guides if you just spend the time looking for them.

Here, I'll give you a head start: https://www.ifixit.com/
None of their guides, or anywhere else, show how to reassemble a Moto x pure after removing the glue you have to burn off to even get the back open. So even at best, the phone won't stay together after replacing the battery myself.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
None of their guides, or anywhere else, show how to reassemble a Moto x pure after removing the glue you have to burn off to even get the back open. So even at best, the phone won't stay together after replacing the battery myself.
The adhesive doesn't magically disappear. It will remain. Worse case scenario, go buy some.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Moto+X+Pure+Edition+Battery+Replacement/61746

Did you even pay attention to what I said? You can't reapply the glue after removing it to get the back open.

And it's not like you can buy the back (with glue) for the phone, either.
Derp!

https://www.amazon.com/GC-ELECTRONICS-ADHESIVE-SILICONE-3FL-OZ/dp/B004SPJN6K

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you even pay attention to what I said? You can't reapply the glue after removing it to get the back open.

And it's not like you can buy the back (with glue) for the phone, either.
Any time, I've had to repair any phone or electronic with adhesive. The vendor that supplied me with the parts, would also give me adhesive as well. And you could always buy your own as @Mr. Wizard pointed out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh