Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey assassda,
Thank you for this great tutorial. I tried the Online version, but when upgrading to 4.0, it can't seem to download the system menu. So I am trying the offline way.

When I run the offline prepare.bat, MooSFV verifies everything but the SystemMenu417.wad. It asks to rename it because I guess it's bad. I've tried several times. Is the sfv file in ./files/417.sfv old? I've tried different times of the day, different computers, and I've tried NUSD (the GUI) and packed a 417 wad and the sfv that is generated is different. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

-out

CLK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Looking for some help here!

I have two Wiis that I updated using the online guide here. Both updates seemed to work like a charm but now the one Wii will not recongnize its USB drive (500g WD MyBook).

Wii #1
Before - 3.4U, CIOS Rev 10, USB Loader GX, 640g WD MyBook, etc all working fine.
After - Updated to 4.0U, BootMii, Preloader, CIOS Rev 10, USB Loader GX - all still working fine.

Wii #2
Before - 3.1U, CIOS Rev 13, USB Loader GX, BootMii, 500g WD MyBook, all working fine.
After - Updated to 4.0U, BootMii, Preloader, CIOS Rev 10 (also tried 12, 13a), USB Loader GX - loader does not recognize the 500g WD MyBook.

I'm stumped now. I can hook the 640g MyBook up to Wii #2 and USB Loader GX works fine so it appears all apps are running as need be.

But the 500g MyBook will no longer show on Wii #2 (even though it was fine before).

Any suggestions? I have tried varies CIOS Rev's (10, 12, 13a). Given the Wii is now on v4.0U, can I go through the steps again - downgrade, upgrade, IOS 60, preloader, etc. Any risk (beyond normal) in doing this?
I have also tried unplugging USB drive and plugging in again, tied both USB slots. I have checked the drive on my computer and all in order (ie. I can still add games, no corruption).

Really stumped given all appears in order!!!
wacko.gif

johani

Trophies
XP
Country
France
halo
ihave a problem withe the 4.1e i can not openthe config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND
it juste haung so ican not acces if somme one have a salotion

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Yeap, tested to work on any Wii on any firmware. Even LU64+ Wii's, so the IOS35 downgrade method isn't needed anymore.

Could even toss in this video to explain how to use it/what you need to do with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc...re=channel_page

It also has an offline method if you get the IOS .wad's it needs. (video shows online method)
thanks a lot. will add soon

FPSDars: yes

Rei said:
I used the cIOS downgrader and now I've a working 3.2U Systemmenu thanks
biggrin.gif

But I want to ask, I already have a Wiikey modded Wii, so do I need to use this guide for upgrading 4.0U again? Or can I install directly from Wii's Update?

If I can do that, I want to get rid all the programs I installed with this guide(excluding bootmii and preloader, they can save lives
biggrin.gif
), what can I do?
its reccomended that you use waninkokos updater but an official update will work (make sure you have cios installed before doing it). the programs are just on your SD card you can delete them when you are done

outuvitt said:
When I run the offline prepare.bat, MooSFV verifies everything but the SystemMenu417.wad. It asks to rename it because I guess it's bad. I've tried several times. Is the sfv file in ./files/417.sfv old? I've tried different times of the day, different computers, and I've tried NUSD (the GUI) and packed a 417 wad and the sfv that is generated is different. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Nintendo fucked with the files so it reports as bad when in reality it should install just fine... i will update the SFVs...

QUOTE(CLK @ Jul 18 2009, 09:25 PM) I have two Wiis that I updated using the online guide here. Both updates seemed to work like a charm but now the one Wii will not recongnize its USB drive (500g WD MyBook).

I'm stumped now. I can hook the 640g MyBook up to Wii #2 and USB Loader GX works fine so it appears all apps are running as need be.

Any suggestions? I have tried varies CIOS Rev's (10, 12, 13a). Given the Wii is now on v4.0U, can I go through the steps again - downgrade, upgrade, IOS 60, preloader, etc. Any risk (beyond normal) in doing this?
I have also tried unplugging USB drive and plugging in again, tied both USB slots. I have checked the drive on my computer and all in order (ie. I can still add games, no corruption).
weird... homebrew doesnt have anything to do with the IOS files besides 249 so your system menu version shouldnt affect it. try using the SD card from the other working wii.

QUOTE(johani @ Jul 19 2009, 04:22 AM)
halo
ihave a problem withe the 4.1e i can not openthe config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND
it juste haung so ican not acces if somme one have a salotion
you high dude? nand backup isnt essential so you can skip the step if you want. its just a security precaution in case of bricks. try formatting your SD card

CLK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
assassda said:
CLK said:
I have two Wiis that I updated using the online guide here. Both updates seemed to work like a charm but now the one Wii will not recongnize its USB drive (500g WD MyBook).

weird... homebrew doesnt have anything to do with the IOS files besides 249 so your system menu version shouldnt affect it. try using the SD card from the other working wii.
assassda ... thanks for the reply and the guide here!

Been working on solving this for past couple of days ... really stumped! As suggested, I tried the other SD card from Wii#1. No luck. Also (grasping at straws) I reformatted the 500g MyBook last night and reloaded all games (via PC). No luck.

Given it was all working when I was at menu version 3.2U, can I use the first few steps of your guide and downgrade back? Any reason I can't do that? Update - Back to 3.2/3.1U now. USB Drive still not recognized. Must be drive issue.
frown.gif

Solved - Back to 4.0U. Had an iffy USB cable for the drive, replaced with the one from my printer (one of those A-B kinds) and voila all is working! What a waste of a day!
biggrin.gif

Wanted to get this Wii back to my friend so they will have to live without the 4.0U menu for now. I may need to tell them to get a different USB drive.

Thanks again!

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right?

I need to fix this problem, I don't like my wii freezing on me and not being able to copy gamesaves from my SD card to my Wii.

Also about to run Tona's Shop Updater and try to get some DLC working.

Questions:
1. I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right? Or should I just repeat the guide from step 6?

2. After I run the 4.0 updater, will the wii restart on me, I am afraid the system might brick because the IOS60 won't be patched and preloader is installed?

darkgoth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I feel a bit of a NOOB here now!

I updated to 4.0E having read that my Wiikey V1 would still work and the HBC would be unaffected, but now I can't install Wads as Wad Manager will not read as a 'valid' file. I haven't got any brick stopping mods on my Wii either!

Can I install Starfall or Wad Manager again via the HBC? can I go back to earlier Firmwares now that I've updated? I have the official Nintendo update and not a custom variant.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

CLK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Darkgoth ... From your post, I think it says you updated directly through your Wii from the Nintendo servers. It is my understanding this will kill some of the functionality you mentioned.

But just follow the Online Guide (assuming you have internet connection going) and you have have things back to normal pretty quickly. The download package puts the apps you need in a nice numbered order (1-7). Just follow and all should be good. I have upgraded a couple of Wii's using the guide with no issues. Had a USB cable issue with one USB drive (which I didn't realize at first) and went from 3.1-->3.2-->4.0-->3.2-->3.1-->3.2-->4.0U with no issues. Just used the apps included with the online package. Just make sure you get BootMii loaded first, do a NAND backup and that should keep you safe if any thing go terribly wrong.

Give it a try! Should take less than 30 min to go through the 7 steps.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
is the guide & files posted on page 1 are up to date ? & is it all that i need to get my Wii soft modded ? it's been over a year since i sold my Wii which i soft modded with homebrew channel but i no longer remember the full details of what i did to install the softmod all i can remember is using the zelda game to install the homebrew channel.thanks

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LufianGuy said:
I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right?

I need to fix this problem, I don't like my wii freezing on me and not being able to copy gamesaves from my SD card to my Wii.

Also about to run Tona's Shop Updater and try to get some DLC working.

Questions:
1. I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right? Or should I just repeat the guide from step 6?

2. After I run the 4.0 updater, will the wii restart on me, I am afraid the system might brick because the IOS60 won't be patched and preloader is installed?

Is your problem that the Wii freezes when you try to go to anything involving the SD card? If so that's not something you need to reinstall the system menu for. Remove bannerbomb from your SD card and it should work fine. It should be in the private folder. Something like private->wii->titles->aktn->content.bin. Just delete that aktn folder, or if there isn't anything else besides that in it just delete the whole private folder.

darkgoth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CLK said:
Darkgoth ... From your post, I think it says you updated directly through your Wii from the Nintendo servers. It is my understanding this will kill some of the functionality you mentioned.

But just follow the Online Guide (assuming you have internet connection going) and you have have things back to normal pretty quickly. The download package puts the apps you need in a nice numbered order (1-7). Just follow and all should be good. I have upgraded a couple of Wii's using the guide with no issues. Had a USB cable issue with one USB drive (which I didn't realize at first) and went from 3.1-->3.2-->4.0-->3.2-->3.1-->3.2-->4.0U with no issues. Just used the apps included with the online package. Just make sure you get BootMii loaded first, do a NAND backup and that should keep you safe if any thing go terribly wrong.

Give it a try! Should take less than 30 min to go through the 7 steps.

Thanks CLK - Had to use Offline Method when I got a Error Ret - 2011 using the Online version, but other than that everything went fine

Great Tut

Respect

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LufianGuy said:

1. Yes but you may also want to run IOS-Downgrader

2. It will not boot to preloader if you install a new system menu. if it does boot to preloader and it says "system files are corrupt" when you launch system menu just reinstall preloader

QUOTE(satel @ Jul 20 2009, 01:04 PM) is the guide & files posted on page 1 are up to date ? & is it all that i need to get my Wii soft modded ? it's been over a year since i sold my Wii which i soft modded with homebrew channel but i no longer remember the full details of what i did to install the softmod all i can remember is using the zelda game to install the homebrew channel.thanks
now we use a new exploit called bannerbomb its much easier. just follow the online guide if you can or use the offline guide which should work on any wii besides LU64+

Kayes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
outuvitt said:
Nintendo fucked with the files so it reports as bad when in reality it should install just fine... i will update the SFVs...

I also get corrupted SystemMenu's (tried 416, 417 and 418 numberous times). Should it be safe to rename the file from *.BAD back to *.WAD and update?

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kayes said:
I also get corrupted SystemMenu's (tried 416, 417 and 418 numberous times). Should it be safe to rename the file from *.BAD back to *.WAD and update?
yes. im gonna upload new SFVs today and support for 4.1
edit: Offline with 4.1 and TBR uploaded and Online with 4.1 and TBR uploaded

locoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, with the OFFLINE GUIDE there is an error Downgrading the IOS15 because It cannot find it on the SD, its seems that the right IOS.WAD is not in the PACK!

Cheers

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
assassda said:
yes. im gonna upload new SFVs today and support for 4.1
edit: Offline with 4.1 and TBR uploaded and Online with 4.1 and TBR uploaded

Finally decided to update my Wii from 3.2 to 4.1. Followed your online guide to the letter, though I had some difficulty when it came to 11) Run 4.1 Firmware-Updater.
It downloaded the updates, but refused to install giving me 1036 error.

A quick search revealed two possibilies, either I didn't have enough space or I needed a patched ios60. Seeing as I had plenty of free space, I first installed ios60 patched and then updated. Success!
smile.gif

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, 85 pages is way too much to trawl through.

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
locoss said:
Hi, with the OFFLINE GUIDE there is an error Downgrading the IOS15 because It cannot find it on the SD, its seems that the right IOS.WAD is not in the PACK!

Cheers
thanks for letting me know fixed version up!

2005tee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
fst312 said:
this guide does it give me full access when using the homebrew channel
This allows everything that was there in 3.2 except some of the preloader hacks

JJBro1 said:
what happens if we update through nintendo? I've heard alot of people are getting bricked with wanin's updater and that it doesn't come with all the ios's.
updating through Nintendo works fine but this Firmware Updater should be safer

QUOTE(kikoolol @ Apr 1 2009, 01:48 PM)
Are you sure you can install CIOS60BF.wad when you have the preloader 0.29 already installed? it won't fuck things up as preloader is using IOS60?
blink.gif
I dont think its an issue since preloader copies over the systemmenu.dol but if someone can confirm this i would appreciate it
Other than that the only thing you would need to do is install CIOS60 and then install preloader again I can confirm this working

Just registered to say 'THANK YOU VERY MUCH'
Few days ago my wii's system menu is corrupted after i softmod,
finding answer on the internet , some say have to reinstall system menu 4.0u that is my previous menu.
But today i found this place and assassda confirmed that way to reinstall preloader and get confirmed someone from yafaze forum.
I got enough confidence and did it. I got my system menu back with all HBC, Neror6...
Again, Thank you so much assassda.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
QUOTE said:
Run Trucha Bug Restorer and choose "IOS36" and pick "Downgrade IOS15" and "Load IOS from sd card" then restart

can someone please tell me where do i find this app ? on the homebrew channel there is no such thing as Trucha Bug Restorer.

Phenie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@satel

Use the reset/power buttons on your wii to control it.

My question:
in the offline version:

QUOTE said:
1) Extract the files somewhere on your hard drive such as C:\wii\ and run prepare.bat and choose your desired version

This is the version you wish to upgrade to, correct?

Also, I tried the online version first but it fails to download the right IOS15 during the downgrade process on step 6. It seems to download, then when you try run the downgrade it cannot detect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Seamen :D +1