UK police warns those who post "hate crime" and threatens users with "criminal offences"

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 18,162
  • Replies 361
  • Likes 15

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice strawman.

I'm not asking for people to censor everything. Just punishing those who would attempt to cause hate.
Why stop there? Once they can censor that, whats to stop them from censoring anything else? You know the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile."

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's always interesting to see this "freedom matters" post. In the end, I would remove my freedom to hate any day of the week if it means that I don't cause unnecessary hatred.
I'm baffled. You can't remove hate. That's a ridiculous thing to even suggest. Just like you can't remove ignorance. Just be a good person, not that hard. What you're suggesting is removing the freedom of others. Something people value and take seriously. Something thousands of people died for. That makes you the bad guy.

Reactions: DaMan and felix.200

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice strawman.

I'm not asking for people to censor everything. Just punishing those who would attempt to cause hate.

I would have to ask what do you mean by "attempt to cause hate"

Do you mean something like "all Faqs should be killed who is with me?" along with meet up dates? - If so then I would have to agree.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice strawman.

Why not those dumbass celebrities who make violent threats against leaders in power? Like Madonna or the like? Why aren't they getting punished for threatening to blow up the White House?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well.... its also a problem with the idea youre proposing. You need to look at the big picture. Actions have consequences.

Exactly. And pen on paper is an action is it not? Simply put, there should be fail safes to stop complete censorship from ever happening.
I'd rather a society that is cohesive rather than fragmented by belief.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because of your failing democratic system.

Yeah, I totally have a choice of where I was born and raised in, you think the UK government is any better off, what with that May wanting to control the internet? Pot calling kettle black much? No government is perfect, no country has a good justice system either, so there's that.

Let me just get the money I don't have and move over to the EU.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I totally have a choice of where I was born and raised in, you think the UK government is any better off, what with that May wanting to control the internet?

I thought that was just an example.

Anyway, if you're being serious, they're probably not being punished because they're rich.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. And pen on paper is an action is it not? Simply put, there should be fail safes to stop complete censorship from ever happening.
I'd rather a society that is cohesive rather than fragmented by belief.
Yea, just look how well those fail-safes worked in the past....
2nd amendment, anyone?

Last edited by MadMageKefka,
Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
25.5 per 100,000 is not 2400%.
You're simply wrong. Very wrong.
First, you have to take the latest which is 34."4" I believe. Then take sweden. 1.4 per 100,000. Then

100%/x%=1.4/34
(100/x)*x=(1.4/34)*x
100=0.041176470588235*x (0.041176470588235)
100/0.041176470588235=x
2428.5714285714=x

x=2428.5714285714

About 2400

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea, just look how well those fail-safes worked in the past....
1st amendment, anyone?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

You do know there are other political systems other than America's, right?
Simply put, stopping hate speech requires a government that sticks to only stopping that one thing and not trying to over reach.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And most celebrities are dumbasses anyway, threatening to leave the country just because their precious candidate didn't win. Boo hoo.

Not disagreeing :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

You do know there are other political systems other than America's, right?
Simply put, stopping hate speech requires a government that sticks to only stopping that one thing and not trying to over reach.

And why should the government be responsible for what people are responsible for? Citizens should be responsible for what citizens do, government shouldn't be in control, they can't be trusted in any way, shape or form.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1