UK Police Arrest Man Over ‘Nintendo Switch’ Modding

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by JoeBloggs777, Dec 30, 2018.

1. JoeBloggs777
    OP

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
  2. Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 6, 2018
    United States
    Don't sell pirated games with modified consoles. People think it's so easy to make a quick buck selling "fully loaded" consoles...it's dumb as shit and they should be fined heavily.

No pirated content and they can't do shit

3. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    So, the guy was actually engaged in business, modding Switch consoles on request or buying them at retail, modding them, loading them up, then selling them. i.e. it wasn't 'his' Switch alone that he modded for personal use, this was for profit.

I sympathize less.

mightymuffy, Ra1d, Bladexdsl and 2 others like this.
  4. JoeBloggs777
    OP

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I don't think it mentions he was actually selling pirated games?, maybe why he was only cautioned and not charged ?

even in the City of London Police link, it mentions about selling pirate games but doesn't say this guy was.

http://news.cityoflondon.police.uk/r/1159/police_combat_video_game_piracy_ahead_of_christmas

5. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Didn`t he get off with a caution?

Thats why NEVER EVER EVER sell pirated content.

Modding is legal. Regardless of what the corporate police tell you.

On second thoughts, if he was selling pirated content on them, he wouldn`t have got a caution. He would be remanded in custody knowing how backward our polices` priorities are...

However, if he was selling them WITH games and he got a caution... He was lucky.

OR because he is living in London, the coppers probably didn`t want to "alienate his community" so probably as a "goodwill gesture"... maybe, just maybe, thats why he got a caution.

Scrub that. He is in Lowestoft.

Last edited by mattytrog, Dec 30, 2018
    wicksand420, peteruk and MarkDarkness like this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    that's what he gets for advertising in the paper :lol:

7. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Did he? I must have missed that bit.

no fucking wonder then...

8. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    There is no clear mention to piracy in the article, police said they only gives him a warning.
    Did he really sells pirated games?
    I think Nintendo are telling the news sites and the police to put "modders" and "piracy" in the same statements just to put fear in the people.

9. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Nintendos logic seems to be:

Modders may not pirate... But there can be no piracy without modders.

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    To be fair, they aren't wrong. Look at how many people are on this site alone who don't give a fuck about homebrew unless they can play the latest Pokemon game without paying.

11. FreePlayFlorida

FreePlayFlorida GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2017
    United Kingdom
    always amazes me the number of posts on local free sites, FB marketplace offering consoles fully loaded, and wonder why people get busted?!?! human stupidity never ends, same with the droid boxes, greed seems to make you lose common sense

12. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Always only mod your own system, kids. It's not that hard for the most part :rofl2:
    Selling modded systems is dumb, everyone should know that by now and he's 43 years old. WTF? How did he not realize yet that you don't do this stuff. :rolleyes:

13. FreePlayFlorida

FreePlayFlorida GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2017
    United Kingdom
    isnt the same the same as the dude that flew his drone over Gatwick, I figured was a couple of kids who didnt know better, but the guy was like mid forties?!?! yeah by middle age you really should know whats legit, not, and gonna get you ass in trouble

14. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    I think the point was to scare people, not reassure them that modding is ok as long as you don't sell, which is why they didn't specifically point out that he was selling modded consoles.

Here are some quotes which I believe hint that he was selling them:

Note plural "consoles". I don't think you need many consoles for personal use.

Why would they mention to look out who to buy from if this wasn't at all related to the case ?

It makes sense that the guy had to do something public to get caught, they're not going to run door to door checking switch consoles, people probably referred others to him for his services and this is how he got caught as the word got around.

Last edited by Ra1d, Dec 30, 2018
  15. mattytrog

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This.

The bloke got greedy.

The bloke got caught.

peteruk likes this.
  16. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

GBAtemp Patron
    fadx is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 15, 2016
    United Kingdom
    "The police note that “modders” are criminals."

Whoever gave that info is a fucking moron, imo it's really not right for someone within the police to publicly state that bullshit because people are obviously going to believe the police regarding laws.

17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I cannot feel sympathy for someone that sells pirated games, and gets busted.

18. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    They're referring to "modders" that sell modded consoles for money, or offering modding services. They're not going to specify that "Well if you just use homebrew it's fine", the whole point of this all is to scare people, not to mention that homebrew may not be against the law but still against Nintendo's TOS.

19. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

GBAtemp Patron
    fadx is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 15, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Sure that could be what they're referring to (any maybe there's a bigger quote with more context) but I feel like leaving that info out and just stating "modders are criminals" (implying anyone doing any for of modding is committing a crime) should absolutely not be okay coming from the police considering it's absolutely false.

20. CrappyOpa

CrappyOpa Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2018
    United States
    Old news

gbatemp net/threads/sx-pro-uk-or-europe-struggling.525345/

the guy Steve Thompson is now being sued by Nintendo and facing recovery of assets under POCA so he didn't just get a caution

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted