Hardware Ugh! I'm so sick of people saying this...

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just a shoe in...
the e shop should have pleanty of mini games like the ipods and pads with similar pricing
im sure that you can spend $3 for angry birds 3ds or something if you are board
that or buy the soon to be insanely cheap ds games used at gamestop for $10 and have something to do
so much to do on it
dont complain

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Guild McCommunist said:
If you think all mobile games are nothing but "tiny flash games" then you really don't know them. Surely there are some "tiny flash game" like games out there, but there's a good selection of solid, real games.
I disagree.
Sure there's street fighter and resident evil on the iphone, but they're very watered down.
People wouldn't be happy with that level of gameplay on a real console.
Of course, they pay less so it's balanced.

Guild McCommunist said:
Hardware isn't everything, but great hardware sure does help. People say that "hardware doesn't equal everything" as though the Wii and DS have superior libraries to everything. I mean they certainly have great libraries but I wouldn't say they're vastly better than the competition.
They have Mario, so for me they are over nine thousand times better than the competition.

Guild McCommunist said:
And of course 3G wouldn't be used for gaming, but it's sure cool to have for, you know, NON GAMING STUFF. Like browsing the web on-the-go. A useful feature in any device.
It's a games console. If you won't use 3g for games then what place does it have in the games console?
wifi can give you internet.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Jan 25 2011, 08:19 PM)
Oh yeah, and size doesn't matter. I've played DS games that are 16MBs large and kick the ass of games that are 256MBs large.
Just simplifying terms.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
I disagree.
Sure there's street fighter and resident evil on the iphone, but they're very watered down.
People wouldn't be happy with that level of gameplay on a real console.
Of course, they pay less so it's balanced.

Both of those are hardly prime examples. I'm pointing to stuff like Infinity Blade, Chaos Rings, GTA: Chinatown Wars, etc. I've tried playing SFIV on the iPod and it's horrendous. But there's plenty of real games on there. Hell, I'd even call PopCap stuff like Peggle and Plants vs. Zombies to be gaming games.

QUOTE said:
They have Mario, so for me they are over nine thousand times better than the competition.

That's not any good reasoning at all. I mean I enjoy my Mario games but it certainly doesn't outweigh the competition just because Mario's in the title.

Case in point: I feel like every Mario game on the N64 was beaten by PSX games (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, mainly). Exception might be Mario Party, although Crash Bash was a lot of fun.

QUOTE said:
It's a games console. If you won't use 3g for games then what place does it have in the games console?
wifi can give you internet.

I'm saying it's a useful function on any device, not for anything gaming related, but it's nice to have. I'm comparing a smartphone to the DS in terms of not just gaming, but in terms of media functionality as well.

Just simplifying terms.

Okay, but you still made a pretty bad statement.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ramonra said:
You know what the 3DS is? A gaming system.

You know what ipods and smartphones are?

Single-blade-multi-tool-includ-5168448.jpg

I'm just saying. I'm a gamer, I don't want to make my face look like a zombie or blow a phone pretending I'm playing an ocarina.
If an iPhone is a Swiss Army knife, several of the blades are blunt.

Either that or you need to buy the extra ones separately.

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I'm saying it's a useful function on any device, not for anything gaming related, but it's nice to have. I'm comparing a smartphone to the DS in terms of not just gaming, but in terms of media functionality as well.

I see that but... why?

It's like dismissing a good car because it doesn't double as a boat. Very few people wanted it for that dual purpose, as far as I know.

o2oxygen

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Let me clear this up. Just because portable hardware is smaller and doesn't necessarily sport the same features as home consoles, it doesn't make them cheaper. The reason portable electronics are expensive for what you get is because portable electronics are actually more expensive to make than a home console due to trying to cram a lot of features on such a small device that's meant to be carried around.

i agree on what he said... the Smaller the device the harder it's made just imagine creating the circuit of a small device. open up your cellphone and you will see what i mean...

besides Portable devices also have their own LCD don't forget that. that its self is expensive specially if it is 3D =)

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Both of those are hardly prime examples. I'm pointing to stuff like Infinity Blade, Chaos Rings, GTA: Chinatown Wars, etc. I've tried playing SFIV on the iPod and it's horrendous. But there's plenty of real games on there. Hell, I'd even call PopCap stuff like Peggle and Plants vs. Zombies to be gaming games.

Infinity Blade is a tenth of a game for the tenth of the price, Chinatown Wars is a pretty poor port of a DS game, Plants vs Zombies is missing most of the stuff from the PC release... The only real games on the iPhone are ports. Everything made specifically for the iPhone is been poor at best - even Chaos Rings is ultimately a short and shallow experience.

Really, I blame Epic Games. They had the perfect opportunity to release a real game on the iPhone, building up the hype and everything with that technical demo. They said it'd be expensive for an iPhone game, that people would be paying more than they're used to paying, something that made me hopeful - if the game was £20, as an example, that must mean the game is pretty long. Ten hours maybe. But no. They release it for £3.50 and all we get is one level that barely takes an hour to beat. They could've put in ten times as much content in and charged ten times as much, paving a path for full games charged at full price. But instead, they go the same way everyone else has - only using the iPhone for small budget projects. Which is why it'll never be a true gaming console, nor will it ever truly compete with Nintendo or Sony. If the most either have to fear is a bad port of a seven year old DS game, there's nothing to worry about at all.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
QUOTE said:
That's not any good reasoning at all. I mean I enjoy my Mario games but it certainly doesn't outweigh the competition just because Mario's in the title.

Case in point: I feel like every Mario game on the N64 was beaten by PSX games (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, mainly). Exception might be Mario Party, although Crash Bash was a lot of fun.
You missed the part about it being my favourite, and my reason, and my opinion.

QUOTEOkay, but you still made a pretty bad statement.
Not really. Size can indicate playtime. Playtime can indicate cost.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
QUOTE said:

You missed the part about it being my favourite, and my reason, and my opinion.

QUOTEOkay, but you still made a pretty bad statement.
Not really. Size can indicate playtime. Playtime can indicate cost.

Fair enough, it's your opinion and I have mine.

As for the size thing, playtime doesn't mean it's a good game. Shitty games can drag on for hours and good games can last only a couple. Size doesn't matter when it comes to quality, how much care they put into it does.

Most of the size in video games comes from videos anyway. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was 256MB but the actual amount of content (in terms of maps mostly) was rather scarce (there was not much diversity in all in terms of the areas, it was just the same areas time and time again with slightly different objectives). Most of that size was made up of videos.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
People nowadays are very hard to please XD They were given another option for entertainment and yet they complain so much. Complains here, complains there, complains everywhere.

And when the actual launch time comes, where are they? Lined up waiting for their turn to buy the item they used to complain.

Buy it or don't buy it. Nobody is forcing anybody. Its really that simple. Why do you wanna make your life hard XD

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God I can't help but feel that most members here are between 14 and 19 years old. The Turbo Express launched at $250 (was raised to $300) back in 1990. The Atari Lynx released in 1989 at a price of $179.95.

If you bother to factor in inflation, the 3DS is basically a "Steal" at its price-point, given all the technology it offers. The NeoGeo was a home console that cost $700, and each game cost around $200 (at that time). The 3DO released at $700 back in 1994, which makes the $600 PS3 launch price seem frugal.

Games have more expensive than they are now, but most youngsters don't remember. The 3DS is a reasonable price, and a damn bargain compared to handhelds in the past. Back then there was no homebrew, hacking, flashcarts, "FREE GAMES!!!!!!!!!" You mowed lawns, earned money, and paid full prices for games that everyone resorts to emulation to play nowadays.

The PSP launched at $250, the 3DS launches at $250, why would anyone flinch an inch? Fuck price complainers and pirates waiting for a Lite. I hope the 3DS never gets hacked.

MizuInu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
godreborn said:
yeah, but the poster was commenting on the high price of smartphones and ipods in comparison to the 3ds. and, in regards to the quality over quantity viewpoint, the wii has some of the lowest quality titles this generation. at least two of the system's games r among the lowest reviewed games of all time--receiving 1s from almost every review source. face it, nintendo has grown very stale with their games as of late. metroid other M is easily the worst metroid game to date. kirby was extremely bland. donkey kong country, while a good game, had one of the worst control schemes I've ever seen. and, who even knows if zelda is ever coming out. and, I must say that the three hour battery life is bad enough, but the region locking is the death knell for the 3ds.

But you forgot that Wii have 2 of the 3 highest rated games of all time Super Mario Galaxy 1 (97.46%) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97.12%).
They are just behind one game that people often heralded as the best of all time: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

By the way…who made those 3 games? Ah yes, Nintendo…

Grown stale? But more importantly than that, are they fun? You betcha! Even my dad love and bought the 2 games. He prefers the 1st more than the 2nd.

So far this generation Mario Galaxy 1 and Bioshock 1 are my favourite games this generation and I haven’t play all of them yet!

I don’t see what the problem about sequel as long as it is fun to play. Sales proved it, review proved it, comment prove it.

The other thing you have to realised, we all have different opinion. What you might find stale and boring, millions find it entertaining and fun.

The more popular a system with a huge install base, especially if they attract common normal people, the higher chance to see badly rushed out lower quality game at super budget price.

But for us gamer, do we care or buy into those low qualities Wii or other system games? No.

I am a gamer, I play good games because they are, and there are good selections of fine game for all system.

MizuInu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dsfanatic5 said:
God I can't help but feel that most members here are between 14 and 19 years old. The Turbo Express launched at $250 (was raised to $300) back in 1990. The Atari Lynx released in 1989 at a price of $179.95.

If you bother to factor in inflation, the 3DS is basically a "Steal" at its price-point, given all the technology it offers. The NeoGeo was a home console that cost $700, and each game cost around $200 (at that time). The 3DO released at $700 back in 1994, which makes the $600 PS3 launch price seem frugal.

Games have more expensive than they are now, but most youngsters don't remember. The 3DS is a reasonable price, and a damn bargain compared to handhelds in the past. Back then there was no homebrew, hacking, flashcarts, "FREE GAMES!!!!!!!!!" You mowed lawns, earned money, and paid full prices for games that everyone resorts to emulation to play nowadays.

The PSP launched at $250, the 3DS launches at $250, why would anyone flinch an inch? Fuck price complainers and pirates waiting for a Lite. I hope the 3DS never gets hacked.

Amen!

I remember back in 1992, my dad rented Street Fighter 2 The World Warriors, we have a blasted playing together. I know what I wanted for Christmas.

We went to buy in store and the games was 94.99$CAD plus taxes…that about 110$ back in 1992! All the Square Soft RPG are 100$+tx or more and my dad always refused to buy them for me because it was boring and expensive for him…T__T

I almost laughed when a guy I know say that Vanquish is too expensive at 40-50$cad….

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol