Hardware Ugh! I'm so sick of people saying this...

pizzafreak360

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"For 50 more dollars I could buy a ps3. WTF nintendo!?!" or something to that effect. (NOTE: I'm not specifically targeting GBAtemp members, but the game community as a whole on various sites and forums)

Why do people expect to pay significantly less for a brand new handheld than 4 year-old current gen consoles? I get that the 3ds isnt that much more powerful than the psp (though I would argue that it is more powerful), but it does a lot more than a psp (whether you appreciate those features or not).

This isnt the first time that nintendo has pulled a pricing stunt like this. When the original ds was released it cost $149.99. A year earlier nintendo drop the price of the gamecube to $99. The ds costed 50 more dollars than a gamecube, and the ds isnt even as powerful as a n64 (despite having a port SM64). Additionally, for 30 bucks more you could get a ps2 or xbox (both priced at $179).

I really don't think that the 3ds price isn't as bad as we think. I'm really, its like a wii in your pocket that can play all your awesome ds games. People didn't have a problem paying $250 for wii when you could get a gamecube for $99 (and LoZ:TP was on gamecube too!). And while the 3ds does cost more than a xbox360, it will cost significantly less than the xbox720 (or whatever it will be called) and the ps4. Just like the ds in comparison to the wii, xbox360, and ps3.

Just a side note. Looking back into the past, the psp launched at $250. That was $70 more than the ps2. So, it is my prediction that the psp2 will launch at a price of $350. $100 more than the 3ds, just like last time.

Well that's my rant. I hope I didn't come off as too much of a dick, and hopefully you were able to extrapolate what my point was in this mess of text.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think since this is an opinion/rant of sorts it better of in the blog section. I agree with you though, new tech will be expensive, I mean glasses free 3D and better graphics among other things(demand). Get over it and either save up or wait for price drop.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS isn't arguably more powerful than the PSP. It is more powerful than the PSP.
If you're gonna rant, at least get your facts straight.

With the rate the PSP2 rumors are coming in about its various specs, it's gonna cost about $1000 if all of it holds true. Of course, I'm sure most of them are just people wanting it to be a super handheld that they won't be able to afford once all of their dreams come true about it.

pizzafreak360

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a blog section? Oops. This is probably one of those moments where I should of read the forum guidelines. I guess thats what I'll do right now.
closedeyes.gif

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I think the problem is nintendo itself. I mean a large number of games r first and second-party titles. many third-party titles r remakes of some kind. I am personally getting a little tired of nintendo relying too heavily on their own games to sell the console or in this case portable. the ps3 and 360 get more good games in a month than the wii gets in a year...which is sad really. and, with the 3ds going in a similar direction as the wii, I fear the same thing will happen.

pizzafreak360

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
godreborn said:
well, I think the problem is nintendo itself. I mean a large number of games r first and second-party titles. many third-party titles r remakes of some kind. I am personally getting a little tired of nintendo relying too heavily on their own games to sell the console or in this case portable. the ps3 and 360 get more good games in a month than the wii gets in a year...which is sad really. and, with the 3ds going in a similar direction as the wii, I fear the same thing will happen.

Well the ds had much better 3rd party support than the wii. And as far as japan is concerned handhelds are the future of gaming, so I see a lot of support the ds had will transfer over to the 3ds. I also think that many psp franchises will move over to the 3ds. It would probably be a well placed bet that the 3ds will out sell the psp2 and dev costs will probably be cheaper on 3ds too. I think a lot of developer will continue their franchises on the 3ds for these reasons.

But, only time will tell. Maybe 3ds will have worse support than the wii.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
godreborn said:
RoFL You are funny!
Do you truly believe this? Or have you been asleep all last year of 2010 and just woke up?
Anyways, the 3DS hasn't even been release, and those are only release titles right now. You haven't even seen the year line up yet, so just be quiet and wait for the next E3.
And the other thing that i want to say is of course Nintendo would rely on their own games, they are the only TRUE gaming company out of the three with their own ACTUAL games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, it's true. for every good wii game u can name just about anyone could name ten more good ps3/360 games. face it...the system is a disaster. the lack of a hard drive is about the stupidest thing nintendo could have done especially with the upsurge of online gaming and dlc.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
godreborn said:
well, it's true. for every good wii game u can name just about anyone could name ten more good ps3/360 games. face it...the system is a disaster. the lack of a hard drive is about the stupidest thing nintendo could have done especially with the upsurge of online gaming and dlc.
Haha lol, name some good PS3 games worth playing?? Don't go by ratings, ratings are for the weaks who can't rely on themselves to decide whether a game is good or not (everyones different).

On Topic:- I agree with you, people are just being stupid, they need to wake up and realize that any future (Sony OR Nintendo) handheld will be MORE than $300, they need to realize that price will keep going up with each release....but who can stuff all this intel into their messed up brains??

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
godreborn said:
ARF (IMO), Kirby epic yarn, SMG, SMG2, Zelda TP, Brawl, Just Dance, JD2, Sengoku Basara (all 4), Samarai Warriors, Mario Kart, Fragile Dreams, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, and i'll stop there. I have alot more but i want you to name 160 good PS3 and 360 games
rofl.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
name some good PS3 games worth playing??
naming only worth while exclusives and no re-releases (sly colletion , gow collection) or multi-plats

Uncharted
Uncharted 2
God of War III
3D Dot Game Heroes
Heavy Rain
Ratchet & Clank tools of destruction
Ratchet & Clank quest for booty
Ratchet & Clank crack in time
Little Big Planet
Little Big Planet 2
Resistance
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5
Demon's Souls
Katamari Forever
Infamous
MLB## The Show series
MAG
Motorstorm
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Wipeout HD (PSN)
Flower (PSN)
PAIN (PSN)
PixelJunk series (PSN)
Fat Princess (PSN)

and theres plenty more on the way
Infamous 2
Uncharted 3
Killzone 3
Resistance 3
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Ratchet & Clank All 4 One
Twisted Metal
Agent

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the U.S and UK pricing was roughly the same, I would agree with you to a certain extent, but:

They can sell the 3DS in the U.S to customers, after tax and shipping at $250 (£155)
They are selling the 3DS in the UK to customers, after tax and shipping at $366.74 (£230)

Nintendo are selling the 3DS to retailers after shipping for £173
Put VAT on top of that an you get £207 give or take. Shops don't seem that bad now, charging a mere 20-30 pound profit. (If I did the calculations correctly.)

The choice is simple then.
A new handheld console, with glassesless 3D, a 3D camera and some (only just, IMO) better than PSP graphics.
or a relatively new PS3 slim 160GB with 1080p output capabilities and blu ray player built in with free online services for the same, if not cheaper price.

For me, it's not that I don't like the new features and I love the U.S price it seems not bad at all, but why would it cost $116 more just because we're in another country?

Handhelds should always be a lot cheaper than current gen home consoles. 50-75% cheaper.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadLocked said:
If the U.S and UK pricing was roughly the same, I would agree with you to a certain extent, but:

They can sell the 3DS in the U.S to customers, after tax and shipping at $250 (£155)
They are selling the 3DS in the UK to customers, after tax and shipping at $366.74 (£230)

Nintendo are selling the 3DS to retailers after shipping for £173
Put VAT on top of that an you get £207 give or take. Shops don't seem that bad now, charging a mere 20-30 pound profit. (If I did the calculations correctly.)

The choice is simple then.
A new handheld console, with glassesless 3D, a 3D camera and some (only just, IMO) better than PSP graphics.
or a relatively new PS3 slim 160GB with 1080p output capabilities and blu ray player built in with free online services for the same, if not cheaper price.

For me, it's not that I don't like the new features and I love the U.S price it seems not bad at all, but why would it cost $116 more just because we're in another country?

Handhelds should always be a lot cheaper than current gen home consoles. 50-75% cheaper..

Except in Nintendo's view, 3DS is a generation ahead of the current gen home consoles. Even Sony does it, PSP was priced higher than PS2 when it was released

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadLocked said:

Are you high? Seriously 249.99 is the price before taxes. I know I pre-ordered mine.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
DeadLocked said:

Are you high? Seriously 249.99 is the price before taxes. I know I pre-ordered mine.
Oh did they mention that at the event? I just thought they said something like "you can purchase yours for $250"

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadLocked said:
chartube12 said:
DeadLocked said:

Oh did they mention that at the event? I just thought they said something like "you can purchase yours for $250"
I think Nintendo wants $250 and the government wants 0.06% of that (at least thats how it is here)

In other words....I think that price is not including tax....but I could be wrong

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fear Zoa said:
DeadLocked said:
chartube12 said:
DeadLocked said:

I think Nintendo wants $250 and the government wants 0.06% of that (at least thats how it is here)

In other words....I think that price is not including tax....but I could be wrong
0.06?! I wish our country were like that, our tax is 20% (which I find ridiculous...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1