Ubuntu USB Boot

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tanmay, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Tanmay
    OP

Tanmay Banned

Banned
    Jan 17, 2009
    United States
    I got a new laptop and made a Ubuntu USB because it doesn't have a CD Drive. I don't wanna install it on my C:\ drive and I can't use the live disc feature cuz it's not working so how do I partition it. I don't wanna go to diskmgmt.msc and delete the partition and make 2 of 'em because then I'll lose all my Data and windows. I can't back it up in any way [​IMG] Please help [​IMG]

2. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Use GParted, a Linux-based partition manager. It'll partition the drive correctly and move the data so you keep the Windows OS intact. Using Gparted may end up erasing the MBR, you'll need a method of getting into the Windows recovery console.

To make a bootable Linux usb drive, you should use something like UNetbootin.

3. sylux92

sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 15, 2007
    United States
    What's the point of a computer without a CD drive? And what kind of laptop is it?

4. piratesmack

piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2009
    United States
    $(pwd)
    Another option is to use the Wubi installer.

It installs Ubuntu to a disk image so there's no partitioning required.
    It's also really easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

5. themuddaload

themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

May 4, 2008
    United States
    West of the equator Sex: sure
    +1

that is how i have ubuntu installed on my computer. i did not know about wubi (i havent done anything with linux in a couple of years), and was going to make a live CD

6. Vidboy10

Vidboy10 Tsardom

Dec 15, 2008
    Canada
    Vancouver, B.C
    Don't use wubi. I installed 8.10 with it in December and I used it couldn't install any programs.

IMO, use a USB.

7. moose3

moose3 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2006
    United States
    NC
    I didn't fully understand the problem... You mentioned having Ubuntu on USB and it was not working to install to re-partition and install to the HD?

You should be able to have the LiveCD on USB using Unetbootin as mentioned, thus making a LiveUSB.

However, if the situation was that you had tried this and it didn't work as a 'LiveUSB' then there might be 2 issues:

1) If your USB drive is over 4 GB, then it might not work as a LiveUSB. My 8 GB stick didn't and I heard others had similar problems, but a 2 GB drive did work. Occasionally it does, but most of the time it fails.

2) The USB drive occasionally still needs to be formatted as a system disk before running Unetbootin. Start fresh from scratch.

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice