Types/styles of FPS

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Hachibei, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Do you like...

1. Story-based shooters! (Half-Life, Halo, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Arena shooters! (Unreal Tournament, Quake III, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Aug 10, 2009

Types/styles of FPS by Hachibei at 4:33 AM (769 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Hachibei
    OP

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    FPS is one of the most popular gaming genres, so I'm just curious as to what types of FPS GBAtemp enjoys.

I personally enjoy arena shooters more than story-based shooters, because those tend to last longer for me, and I like the crazy fast pacing of most of them.

2. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    Counter-Strike. I haven't played it much recently since all my friends stopped, but I used to own.

3. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I like story-based shooters, and I like somewhat (un)realistic games because Call of Duty is probably my favorite FPS series.

4. kalmis

Member kalmis GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    The original Unreal Tournament is definitaly one of my all time favourite FPS games. I can remember countless hours on that. Deathmatching on that Deck(16) level is the king. Dont do mutch online FPS anymore, well at all. [​IMG]
    Never really understood the hype with Halo tbh. Bit same with Call of Duty games, don't actually think I've ever even finished one. But those are in my endless list of games to played, CODs that is. Then again Tom Clancy's Rainbow six/Ghost recon games I find really entertaining. Its not the realism that interest me on these games, just like the Clancy political thriller mood.

Almost forgot. Usually on Friday afternons at the office we go and find empty room and do some Enemy Territory coop-missioning with couple of guys here. It never gets old [​IMG]

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    never saw the great hype behind halo, its a pretty meh game, and the storyline sucks.

I don't really care too much, as long as it actually requires teamwork online, unfortunately I can't think of one modern FPS that does. The last good ones were operation flashpoint and planetside.

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    My favorite FPS is Command and Conquer: Renegade.
    It's story-based for sure, but the multiplayer is truly kickass. The story is only there for true CnC fans. I love a good story mode, but overall, it's the multiplayer that gives the replay value and there's no story in that, just pure tactical warfare.
    It's somewhat realistic, as there are weapon technology that is definitely science fictional (Ion Cannon anyone?), but nothing crazy like aliens or demons.

7. Zalda

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    I don't know, definitely Arena-style games, but I like all three options of realism.
    I like them all.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Arena-style for the win.

And for realism.
    Though one, I can't choose. I love Unreal Tournament, I love CoD and I love Rainbow Six.

9. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Doesn't matter to me (RubyRubyRuby [​IMG] ) if it's story-based or arena-style, but it HAS to be unrealistic. It's no fun shooting down 'real' people, you see that in the newspaper and on tv all the time [​IMG] Killing freakin' big and weird aliens ftw!

10. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Shooters with a good story. Call of Duty, Halo, and Gears of War come to mind.