Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 752,600
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rxwaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the latter. Redshift code runs once before that section of memory is completely unmapped and mapped to the DS/GBA side.

The more surprising thing is that it doesn't crash when waking up from sleep mode, as sleep mode always crashes for me...
Good to know it wasn't just user error on my part.

I will note after some playing around I think I have discovered at least a workaround for this, however, since my 3DS is almost always on charge when I'm not using it, I can't validate its effectiveness as far as battery goes.

Basically, before closing the lid/putting the game in sleep mode I have been using the Select + Down + L shortcut to open the .nds/ROM menu and leaving it on-screen and the game suspended. It seems that as long as this menu is open, when I return to the game later it will retain my Redshift adjustments and I can simply close the menu and continue playing.

Again, I can't speak for the effectiveness of this workaround where battery is concerned since I'm not sure if this puts it into actual sleep mode or just turns off the backlight the same way it does when you close the screen running the built-in GBA VC.

Attachments

• PXL_20230806_191718528.jpg
    PXL_20230806_191718528.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: csandrade87

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know it wasn't just user error on my part.

I will note after some playing around I think I have discovered at least a workaround for this, however, since my 3DS is almost always on charge when I'm not using it, I can't validate its effectiveness as far as battery goes.

Basically, before closing the lid/putting the game in sleep mode I have been using the Select + Down + L shortcut to open the .nds/ROM menu and leaving it on-screen and the game suspended. It seems that as long as this menu is open, when I return to the game later it will retain my Redshift adjustments and I can simply close the menu and continue playing.

Again, I can't speak for the effectiveness of this workaround where battery is concerned since I'm not sure if this puts it into actual sleep mode or just turns off the backlight the same way it does when you close the screen running the built-in GBA VC.
Yeah, in the nds-bootstrap in-game menu, it does not go into sleep mode, and the backlight simply turns off.

rxwaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, in the nds-bootstrap in-game menu, it does not go into sleep mode, and the backlight simply turns off.
I thought this may be the case. I'm also not sure if the bootstrap menu has an automatic timeout but from what I've tested this workaround has been fine as a short term solution when I'm closing the screen for a couple mins at a time. I can't confirm the efficacy long-term.

Reactions: csandrade87

Kiichin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey friends.
Haven't used my 3DS to play DS much these past few years and I wanted to do so.

I had installed this patch and TWMenu++ a couple of years ago. Now, when I open the TWPatcher and choose my option (say, Sono's Crisp") everything seems to work as intended but when I open the game (a Pokémon hackrom) through TWMenu++ it doesn't look different. It could be just me not being able to see a huge difference but a funny behaviour is that when I open TWMenu++ the "cursor" seems to be selecting the sharpen filter, instead of the previously selected one (Sono's Crisp at this example). Is this the expected behaviour? If it is not how could I go around updating? Thanks in advance.

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey friends.
Haven't used my 3DS to play DS much these past few years and I wanted to do so.

I had installed this patch and TWMenu++ a couple of years ago. Now, when I open the TWPatcher and choose my option (say, Sono's Crisp") everything seems to work as intended but when I open the game (a Pokémon hackrom) through TWMenu++ it doesn't look different. It could be just me not being able to see a huge difference but a funny behaviour is that when I open TWMenu++ the "cursor" seems to be selecting the sharpen filter, instead of the previously selected one (Sono's Crisp at this example). Is this the expected behaviour? If it is not how could I go around updating? Thanks in advance.
Did you enable external FIRMS in the Luma menu (holding Select while powering on the 3DS)? It won't work if you haven't.

But yeah, the app always default to Linear Sharpen when you launch it. That is expected.

While I am at it I was wondering it is possible to have game specific patches. I use YANBF to launch my games from the 3DS Menu and it would be super cool to have a specific patch to a specific game, like Sharpen Crisp to Pokémon, or Linear Sharpen for Super Mario 64 DS.
I know it's probably not possible, but I was wondering about it

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
While I am at it I was wondering it is possible to have game specific patches. I use YANBF to launch my games from the 3DS Menu and it would be super cool to have a specific patch to a specific game, like Sharpen Crisp to Pokémon, or Linear Sharpen for Super Mario 64 DS.
I know it's probably not possible, but I was wondering about it

Not possible with the default TWL_FIRM / AGB_FIRM.

With a custom replacement, it is possible to read settings from SDCard for each specific game. It's not ready to be released though, especially since I don't have raw SD access, as Nintendo didn't add it to Process9.

Reactions: verypedro

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not possible with the default TWL_FIRM / AGB_FIRM.

With a custom replacement, it is possible to read settings from SDCard for each specific game. It's not ready to be released though, especially since I don't have raw SD access, as Nintendo didn't add it to Process9.
Yeah, I was guessing that it wouldn't be possible.

But don't mind this specific use and keep doing your best with the open_twl_firm (or whatever you decide to name it lol), you are doing what Nintendind't. Thank you!

Reactions: Sono

Altphere

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Don't know why, but everytime i try to apply some upscaling patches it just refuses to work. I've been trying for days now, but it doesn't want to change the upscaling method. Is TWPatcher working on the latest luma version?

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't know why, but everytime i try to apply some upscaling patches it just refuses to work. I've been trying for days now, but it doesn't want to change the upscaling method. Is TWPatcher working on the latest luma version?
Luma 13 broke some things but 13.0.1 fixed it back.

Be sure to Enable loading external FIRMs and modules in the Luma start up menu by holding Select while powering up the console. After applying a filter with TWPatch it should create a file named TwlBg.cxi on /luma/sysmodules. Please check if that is the case

Reactions: Altphere

Altphere

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Luma 13 broke some things but 13.0.1 fixed it back.

Be sure to Enable loading external FIRMs and modules in the Luma start up menu by holding Select while powering up the console. After applying a filter with TWPatch it should create a file named TwlBg.cxi on /luma/sysmodules. Please check if that is the case
Yeah I had that enabled. What seemed to cause the issue was that i also enabled the option of custom upscaling filters for DSi on the startup menu, because it sounded like i needed that enabled too. Disabling it seems to have fixed the problem.

Reactions: verypedro

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah I had that enabled. What seemed to cause the issue was that i also enabled the option of custom upscaling filters for DSi on the startup menu, because it sounded like i needed that enabled too. Disabling it seems to have fixed the problem.
Nice that you figured it out! It will help to troubleshoot other people who might come across with the same problem.

By the way, I still have no idea what that feature in Luma does lol

Reactions: Altphere

Einz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to use both GPU scaling for widescreen games and scaling filters for non-widescreen games?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between the two by selecting the 4:3 or 16:10 options in the Twilight Menu Game settings.

From what I've read so far, it seems I'll need to have two different "TwlBg.cxi" files to manually rename to "Widescreen.cxi" in the "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" path?

Last edited by Einz,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to use both GPU scaling for widescreen games and scaling filters for non-widescreen games?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between the two by selecting the 4:3 or 16:10 options in the Twilight Menu Game settings.

From what I've read so far, it seems I'll need to have two different "TwlBg.cxi" files to manually rename to "Widescreen.cxi" in the "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" path?
Just do the widescreen process like normal, and then when done, re-run TWPatch, and select your scaling filter with widescreen disabled.

Reactions: Einz

Einz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just do the widescreen process like normal, and then when done, re-run TWPatch, and select your scaling filter with widescreen disabled.
Thanks! So just to check my understanding, the widescreen cxi remains in the "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" path, and the scaling filter cxi remains in the default location "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/".

Picking the aspect ratio for each game will then utilize the right cxi accordingly?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! So just to check my understanding, the widescreen cxi remains in the "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" path, and the scaling filter cxi remains in the default location "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/".
The default location would actually be "sd:/luma/sysmodules/".
Picking the aspect ratio for each game will then utilize the right cxi accordingly?
Yes, it will.

Reactions: Einz

CapitanRooster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used the patcher for installing the blue light filter specifically but I don't really know how to toggle between regular light mode and my filter configuration while I'm playing DS games. I've looked everywhere but does anyone know how to go between them? Specifically I'm using Twilight Menu to play ds games. I don't really want to be using the filter during the day.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've used the patcher for installing the blue light filter specifically but I don't really know how to toggle between regular light mode and my filter configuration while I'm playing DS games. I've looked everywhere but does anyone know how to go between them? Specifically I'm using Twilight Menu to play ds games. I don't really want to be using the filter during the day.

You can't, it's not a feature anyone asked for yet.

The best I can do is add button held detection to disable. Which button? Can't make it configurable, so it must be decided.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1