TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sono, Jul 4, 2019.

1. LinusRG

LinusRG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    thankyou everything works perfectly now. Also i am pretty sure i read this somewhere that if a game compatibility is broken i should tell you. The game I was testing this exploit out with was sm64 as i said earlier and i noticed that the game runs fine, but if put into sleep mode then taken out of sleep mode the video cuts off.

Robz8 likes this.
  2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    It's caused by TWL clock speed.
    Open the per-game settings in the ROM menu by pressing Y, then set ARM9 CPU speed to 67mhz (NTR).

3. LinusRG

LinusRG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    ok thanks

4. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    The video cuts off if trainer mode is on, because sleep mode seems to turn VRAM off, which corrupts/wipes the trainer code, effectively executing garbage and softlocking the entire system beause ARM11 crashed.

Nutez likes this.
  5. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    Do I understand correctly that this patch will forever only work for 3D-style games, and never for 2D side scrollers etc?
    I know de Blob 2, which is supported, is a scroller, but it also has a light 3D effect.
    Either way, I got it all to work after a clean manual re-install of Twilight. Thanks a lot to Rob and Sono!

Robz8 likes this.
  6. Viorlu

Viorlu Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2017
    Netherlands
    you can use the free version of crossover worked for me with macOS Mojave.

7. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    Well, there must be definitely some games which use 3D mode and require a very big patch to have squished 3D in some areas. But yeah, usually 3D games should work. It doesn't matter what the user sees, it could be fake 3D using the 2D engine (though why would a dev do this?), or it could do 2D using the 3D engine (image stretching perhaps?). All it matters is that it uses the 3D engine! If it uses the 3D engine then it has a chance to be patchable.

Zense, ElderC, Reynardine and 2 others like this.
  8. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    @Robz8 I've noticed that TWLMenu's menu is still in 4:3. Do you plan to make a widescreen menu?
    Edit: just realized this may be the wrong thread for this question, sorry!

9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    While it's indeed possible, I don't want to increase boot time by switching over to 16:10, after launching TWiLight Menu++.

10. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    That's fair. Thanks for your work btw!

11. magarischiatto

magarischiatto Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    Italy
    I was having trouble dumping my own twl_firm, but I managed to patch a copy i extracted from a cia I found online. Widescreen now works like charm.

Last edited by magarischiatto, Aug 14, 2019
    Reynardine likes this.
  12. Werosky

Werosky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    Mexico
    Puebla, México
    Is there any reason on why the games on the list looks stretched? I followed the guide but I'm getting this same looking on the games.

This is the same problem that @MarkussLugia pointed out. This is also his pic, as I see it looks the same on my N3DS XL.

Attached Files:

13. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Werosky That doesn't look stretched to me? You can see more on the sides in the widescreen shot, because it's ... widescreen.

For Pokémon games, you mostly only get true widescreen when you're running around in the overworld, as the battles are either in 2D (most games) or nobody has been able to get the 3D stuff to display in widescreen (Black & White 1 & 2).

14. Werosky

Werosky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    Mexico
    Puebla, México
    It looks normal, but take a look of another pic he uploaded too. I'm using his photos again, sorry. As you can see, the main character sprite looks way better in the second one. His face looks better and actually you get to see the details of his eyes, something that is missing in the first one, which looks less detailed.

Attached Files:

15. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Werosky That's just the sacrifice you make with widescreen. We're limited by the resolution of the original DS, 256*192. The widescreen hack is displaying more information (a wider picture) in the same resolution, so games like Pokémon that rely on sharp pixel graphics at the normal 4:3 display will lose some detail just because of how this all works.

16. Werosky

Werosky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    Mexico
    Puebla, México
    Sorry if I'm not being clear enough. Both photos show a N3DS XL running Pokémon in Widescreen mode, however, there's a difference between those pics as pointed by the user that first uploaded these pics. He had a problem with this filter. One picture is from he was able to run in flawlessly and the other one, when there was a problem with the .cxi file. I'm asking what do I need to do in order to get the right Widescreen filter and not the stretched one. Here's a better pic of what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

17. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Werosky Both photos don't show the game running in widescreen. One shows it running in widescreen (when it was working correctly--this is the one you don't like) and one shows the game running stretched (just the normal game display stretched out to display over a wider area, which seems to be the one you like).

If all you want to do is play the game stretched, you should place your patched TwlBg.cxi in sdmc:/luma/sysmodules. This will cause all games to run stretched (not widescreen), as in the top picture in your most recent post.

Robz8 likes this.
  18. Metroid84

Metroid84 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2019
    Brazil

I'm having this same stretched screen problem, games are not widescreen

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

19. LinusRG

LinusRG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    if you have not done this yet make sure the file is not in the sysmodules folder inside the luma folder because the menu copied it there for me automatically then I had to delete it from there manually. Also try repatching the sector0.bin file this ended up working for me. And as it says up above make sure the file is called widescreen.cxi and it is put in the correct folder. (_nds/Twilightmenu++/TwlBg/Widescreen.cxi)

Metroid84 likes this.
  20. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    @Metroid84 ^

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted