Hacking Twilight Princess HD Flip?

Immortallix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was wondering if there exists a patch or if anyone would be willing to make such a mod, that would flip the horizontal orientation of the game back to the Wii version's layout without having to use Hero mode? I would assume more people played the Wii version like myself, and thought it was very odd to have normal difficulty be the Gamecube orientation.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A friend asked for same thing, basically wanting Hero Mode without flipping the map lol, but this is all I have found myself as well.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too hate that the game is flipped to the inferior Gamecube version. It was a Wii launch title, and needs to be respected as such.
Everytime I pick this remaster back up

I still find myself running into walls that I think should be doors/paths for the first few hours, and have to retrain my thinking because of my childhood muscle memory from the Wii version

Reactions: VDDZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Inferior! The GC was the console.it was developed for! :gba:
My Twilight Princess Wii version disc that was available on the Wii's launch day, would like to disagree with you.
Post automatically merged:

Everytime I pick this remaster back up

I still find myself running into walls that I think should be doors/paths for the first few hours, and have to retrain my thinking because of my childhood muscle memory from the Wii version
Exactly, me too. Never had a Gamecube until I bought a Wii. I didn't see a point when the new system was gonna have both.

I still think it's silly that they flipped an entire game just because the main character is left handed... Fucking absurd.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My Twilight Princess Wii version disc that was available on the Wii's launch day, would like to disagree with you.

Exactly, me too. Never had a Gamecube until I bought a Wii. I didn't see a point when the new system was gonna have both.

I still think it's silly that they flipped an entire game just because the main character is left handed... Fucking absurd.
And Breath of the Wild was a Switch game instead of being developed for Wii U for 5+ years.
Fact is, Twilight Princess was made for GameCube. Wii is essentially powered up GameCube with additional hardware so porting it as a launch title was easy and the motion controls were added. The game was also flipped making Link right hander in process to match most people being right handed with their wiimote hand. Community has discussed the fact that the Ancient Hylian written in some walls of the game map and such is flipped backwards in Wii version, making GameCube version text legible and "true".
Though, because people have different first time memories thanks to the different platforms, and it is shame they did not make choice of the map flip separate from Hero mode, as said my friend would wish to play Hero Mode with GameCube orientation. Makes sense since Wii U version controls like GameCube version, not even having option for Wiimote controls.

Reactions: emcintosh and Ewpb

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And Breath of the Wild was a Switch game instead of being developed for Wii U for 5+ years.
Fact is, Twilight Princess was made for GameCube. Wii is essentially powered up GameCube with additional hardware so porting it as a launch title was easy and the motion controls were added. The game was also flipped making Link right hander in process to match most people being right handed with their wiimote hand. Community has discussed the fact that the Ancient Hylian written in some walls of the game map and such is flipped backwards in Wii version, making GameCube version text legible and "true".
Though, because people have different first time memories thanks to the different platforms, and it is shame they did not make choice of the map flip separate from Hero mode, as said my friend would wish to play Hero Mode with GameCube orientation. Makes sense since Wii U version controls like GameCube version, not even having option for Wiimote controls.
I just don’t understand why they had to flip the world at all just because of being right handed

Maybe I don’t know enough about game development but from an outsider looking in it seems like it was just an additional for shits and gigs change

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just don’t understand why they had to flip the world at all just because of being right handed

Maybe I don’t know enough about game development but from an outsider looking in it seems like it was just an additional for shits and gigs change
It was a very needless change. No matter what hand the sword gets put into, the game plays exactly the fucking same.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I got this game for the wii just because It was a entry point for hacking the wii at that time.

I never played a lot of it, maybe 1 or 2 hours, so I don't know what this flip means. It's the screen? The controller?

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this game for the wii just because It was a entry point for hacking the wii at that time.

I never played a lot of it, maybe 1 or 2 hours, so I don't know what this flip means. It's the screen? The controller?
It’s the whole world that is flipped

Oh you want to take this path to get back to down? That path is now on the right and the left is now a nice wall for you to walk into

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
so they re-released the same game to a, at that time, new platform, but in mirror mode?
More or less. It did have motion controls and also flips link from his normally left handed demeanor to be (one of) first right handed Link. It might been to just give the version a bigger indicator of difference. Non-dev guess for any "real" reason to do this would be to make sure none of the world collision and stuff they tested in gamecube and left handed version gets broken, like flipping just Link could have introduced bugs where he can clip through the world map or whatever like that so they just pre-emptively flipped everything and call it a cool difference.
Hylian Text, the default orientation in Wii U HD version and stuff show that GameCube is "the default" but like said, because a lot of people played this on Wii for them it is the true version. Could be cool if someone could mod the Wii U HD version to have a toggle separate from Hero mode so people can make their choice fully.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy