Hacking TWiLight Menu++ not booting - black screen

Kureshimiru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello!
I bought a used New 3DS XL a couple of days ago. It came with Luma and Godmode9, as well as FBI and Homebrew Launcher. It was missing TWiLight, though, and it's pretty important to me since I really want to play NDS games as well, natively if possible.

Now, I've followed a guide and installed the new TWiLight release through .cia files (one for TWiLight, one for the Game Booter and one for the Updater) and updated all components to their "Release" versions through the updater, but launching TWiLight Menu++ just gives me a black screen. I can't return to the Home menu from it and the only way to escape it is powering off my N3DS. The same thing happens when I try to open "DS Connections" settings.

I saw a couple of forum posts recommending the use of a TWLFix-CFW.3dsx through Homebrew Launcher, but Homebrew gives me an error (something along the lines of failing to download payload). I tried putting a new payload to root manually, but my system version is 11.13.0.45-E, and HBL's site only offers payloads up to 11.9- version. I also tried reinstalling HBL through .cia, reinstalling TWL, and even updating Luma (which did update /something/ but I don't yet see any progress). I tried doing a system update through settings since I heard it's safe if you got Luma, but it says my firmware is up to date.

Apparently, I also need something called boot9strap, which, upon further snooping through the SD card contents, I don't have - there's no boot.firm file in root, but there is arm9loaderhax.bin. Also, all my /luma/payload/ files are .bin, not .firm.

I'm very (*VERY*) new to this and I really wouldn't want to brick my new investment since it did cost me. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do (and in which order)?

I reckon I should install b9s first. I read that newer versions of Luma don't work with a9lh, so I suppose mine can't update past the final a9lh-supporting version. Then I guess I should update Luma through the updater and I heard someone suggesting a "CTRTransfer" to 11.5.0. Could this brick my N3DSXL (provided I do all the steps correctly)? Also, will it fix TWL?

Note that I launch HBL through the Home menu since for some reason I cannot open "Rosalina" in the Download Play app. What should I do?

Last edited by Kureshimiru,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I reckon I should install b9s first. I read that newer versions of Luma don't work with a9lh, so I suppose mine can't update past the final a9lh-supporting version. Then I guess I should update Luma through the updater and I heard someone suggesting a "CTRTransfer" to 11.5.0. Could this brick my N3DSXL (provided I do all the steps correctly)? Also, will it fix TWL?
CTRTransfer is not the first thing to try. A9LH hasn't been supported for some years now. But it is easy to upgrade to B9S:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s
After following the steps on this page as well as the finalizing part your custom firmware and homebrew apps should be latest version and you are good to go trying TWLFix-CFW.

Kureshimiru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
After following the steps on this page as well as the finalizing part your custom firmware and homebrew apps should be latest version and you are good to go trying TWLFix-CFW.

Hi, thank you for your response!
I did plan to upgrade to boot9strap by following that guide, but that still leaves the problem of not being able to boot up Homebrew Launcher. It "fails to download actual payload" (and then prompts me to exit the app by pressing Start) every time, and I've tried following advice to just manually download a payload and put it in my root folder, but my system version is 11.13., and there's no option for downloading HBL payloads past 11.9. on smealum's official Homebrew Launcher site...

So, after I follow this guide (and I guess the "Finalizing Setup" guide on the same site), how would I go about getting my Homebrew Launcher to work?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, thank you for your response!
I did plan to upgrade to boot9strap by following that guide, but that still leaves the problem of not being able to boot up Homebrew Launcher. It "fails to download actual payload" (and then prompts me to exit the app by pressing Start) every time, and I've tried following advice to just manually download a payload and put it in my root folder, but my system version is 11.13., and there's no option for downloading HBL payloads past 11.9. on smealum's official Homebrew Launcher site...

So, after I follow this guide (and I guess the "Finalizing Setup" guide on the same site), how would I go about getting my Homebrew Launcher to work?
You can either start HB Launcher with Rosalina injection or with the wrapper app that is installed within the finalizing page.
No otherapp payload needed.

Kureshimiru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You can either start HB Launcher with Rosalina injection or with the wrapper app that is installed within the finalizing page.
No otherapp payload needed.

Thank you very much! I'm extremely new to this so your advice is a godsend!

I'll upgrade to b9s and do "Finalizing Setup" later today and update this post with the results. Thanks once again!

UPDATE: I followed the b9s upgrade guide and decided to try and see if TWiLight works, and it did! Homebrew Launcher works as well now, but I didn't use TWLFix-CFW since there was no need.
Thanks @KleinesSinchen, you're a lifesaver!

Last edited by Kureshimiru,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative