Hacking Tutorial to using USB Loader v1.1 and FAQs

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide will show you how to use USB loader to backup and boot games from a USB drive.

First, what's required;
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack (v1.1+IOS rev 9)
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)

Prep:
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

Running USB loader:
-Insert a USB drive into the Wii
-Boot the homebrew channel, select USB-LOADER

-It should ask you about formatting and choosing a partition.

This WILL erase everything on your USB drive, so be sure to back it up. Yes, the USB drive can be converted back to normal later, it's no big deal. Windows will however, not be able to read your USB drive while it's formatted under the WBFS.

-Choose your partition and continue.
-Insert the game disk (original or backup) into your Wii, and press the + button.

What It should say;
QUOTE said:
Opening dvd disk.. OK!"

Then it will proceed to carry on with the ripping operation.

Troubleshooting:

Q: When installing the IOS file, i get "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)"?
A: Use AnytitleDeleter to get rid of ISO249.

Q: When I boot USB Loader, I get: Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) ?
This means either your USB drive is corrupted or it is not supported. Please use another drive or doublecheck connections. Also, if you have something plugged in the other USB port, be sure to remove it. If all that doesn't work, try switching your USB port. Some people reported this working via hotswapping, but I do not support this method. Other people are reporting that plugging two errored USB's in at once makes one work.

Q: While in the ripping process, it freezes. (I got passed 0.01%)
A:Mine did this, but because my flash drive was overheating. It sounds ridiculous, but try keeping it cooled off. Or if you have another flash drive, try that.
If your flash drive has an LED and it's still blinking, leave it be, it's just running slow! If it's stopped blinking for more than 40 seconds you'll need to reset your Wii. Also, sometimes it wont work the first time, but works great the second or third.

Q: When I go to rip the disk, it freezes at 0.01% or 0.00%?
A:If your Wii is hard modded, I don't have a solution for you :[..but if it isn't, try reinstalling the IOS file or cleaning your disk.

Q: When I go to rip, it says "Invalid Wii game"?
A: You're most likely using a backed up game or a ligit scratched game. Clean the DVD, try a few more times. If that fails burn another copy.

Q: WTF's a partition?
A: The best way to describe it, is a segment of your hard drive that is reserved for one file system. Most computer come with the entire hard drive as one partition, but you can split hard drives into multiple partitions for better organization or different file systems.

Q: How do i turn my USB device back compatible with windows?
A: Using XP, right click "My computer" and go to "Manage" while your USB drive is connected. Click "Disk Managment". Right click your device and format or create a new partition.

Q: I know what a partition is, is there any way for me to repartition my drive without loosing current data?
A: Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just repartition without deleting previous partitions that I know of.
[EDIT: Apparently you can use Partition Magic, but I have no experience there]

Q: Can i dump Gamecube games?
A: No. Im sure it'll eventually be supported, but not at this time.

Q: It says that there's only x.xxgb's avaliable, but I have a lo tmore space than that!!
A: Either you messed up with the Partitioning, or you're not using my USB Loader pack.

Q: Do I need FW v4.0?
A: Nope.

Q: Can I put the ISO on my Hard drive through Windows?
A: Yes, the WBFS Tool.
Command line or
GUI

ppost-1.jpg

Q: I get a code dump when i start USB loader?
A: Check out this thread.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST==>

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Error resolved, so I'll continue the tut...

Q: My picture is black and white / distorted / Grainy / ect?
A: It's cross-video compatibility. Some PAL games work great on NTSC consoles, others dont, and vise versa. There's been numerous reports of fixes and video patches, and forcing NTSC, but nothing is clear yet.

Q: Does this include USB 2.0 support?
A: Yes

Q: Does usb loader dump brickblocked backup discs?
A: Yess.

Q: How big can my partition be?
A: 512gb max for now.

This covers every problem people had through the first ten pages, so you won't need to scan through the topic too much :x..Hope this was some help.

D

Deleted User

Nice idea!

Just one little correction to not confuse anyone.
QUOTE said:
-Select "SD Card" as your source, it should install automatically.
Should read:
- Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MizuhoChan said:
I'm getting an error about "Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1).

Does that mean the USB stick does not work?

Yes. I got that error with my Toshiba 2.5" external..And my Lexar 4gb. But it works fine with my other memory sticks. I was just about to add that to there. :/

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mizuho: try the other USB slot. My right side slot doesn't work for this loader, but the left one works great.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Aw =(

It's my 4gb Kingston. I suppose I could try the hdd with my PS3 PS2 backups on it. But that'll delete those =(

I think I'll stick to discs then, I have a modchip anyway.

Hm, I'll try the left then...

pitweasel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit of a hypothetical question at the moment, since I don't have a spare USB hard drive lying around...but could someone tell me how long it takes to dump a game to a drive? I'd love to consolidate my collection onto a single hard drive and play it from that, since I'm pretty unorganized and tend to just throw my discs everywhere. But if this takes hours and hours to transfer a single game, it's really not going to save any time for me. Any advice? Thanks!

D

Deleted User

pitweasel said:
This is a bit of a hypothetical question at the moment, since I don't have a spare USB hard drive lying around...but could someone tell me how long it takes to dump a game to a drive? I'd love to consolidate my collection onto a single hard drive and play it from that, since I'm pretty unorganized and tend to just throw my discs everywhere. But if this takes hours and hours to transfer a single game, it's really not going to save any time for me. Any advice? Thanks!
This really depends on the size of the game. Both 'House of the Dead' games took about 30 minutes, whereas 'Ghost Squad' only took 10 minutes.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Looks like the left slot didn't work either.

I also tried formatting it to FAT first (Since it was NTFS), but no luck there either. My other 256mb Kingston works though ;_;

Hang on, with it recognising the second one, I figured I'd take it out and put my 4gb in. I told it to make a partition and it worked!

I'm dumping Animal Crossing right now =D

Awesome.

zeldafn333

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few Questions
1. If I buy a smaller (50gigs-ish) HDD, would I need to partition it if Im only using it for ISOs?
2. Is there anyway to put the Iso on the HDD through windows?
3. Is 4.0 required?

4. How much have flatmii sales tanked?

lazyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i just tried this, ripped wiisports, took 5 mins 30 secs when it shoulda took like 1 min or less
and the dvd drive was loud as fuck

is my d2pro interfering with the dvd read speeds?

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zeldafn333 said:
Few Questions
1. If I buy a smaller (50gigs-ish) HDD, would I need to partition it if Im only using it for ISOs?
2. Is there anyway to put the Iso on the HDD through windows?
3. Is 4.0 required?

1. Nope, wii will take care of it.
2. Not yet, only though Linux.
3. Nope.

Posts merged

QUOTE(lazyguy @ Mar 30 2009, 08:36 PM) i just tried this, ripped wiisports, took 5 mins 30 secs when it shoulda took like 1 min or less
and the dvd drive was loud as fuck

is my d2pro interfering with the dvd read speeds?

Will sports took me the same amount of time, and I have no worldly idea if d2pro will effect anything.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Okay, I did some testing.

Rebooting and trying with the partitioned 4gb resulted in the same error. Trying with both sticks in both slots resulted in no partition found, with the 4gb unrecognised.

Switching them around, so the working USB was in the left slot, resulted in my original error.

Plugging in an extension with the 4gb resulted in the error.

The extension + the 256mb resulted in the no partition found.

Switching the 256mb to the 4gb in the extension, resulted in the 4gb showing up. I then pressed B to exit back to the menu, whereupon Animal Crossing came up on the device. I had the disc out and attempted to boot the game, which worked fine.

So it seems if you have a non-functioning device, you may be able to get functionality out of it, via swapping for a working one.

lazyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, to give u a bigger picture:
ssbb ~ 2hours 10 mins
okami ~ 1hour
wii sports ~ 5 mins

and of course, dvd drive loud as fuck, to the point it scares me

on the other thread
animal crossing takes 1min 40 secs
ssbb takes 16 mins

D

Deleted User

lazyguy said:
and of course, dvd drive loud as fuck, to the point it scares me
That's strange, while ripping three games I couldn't hear a single noise coming from my DVD drive.

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Q: I know what a partition is, is there any way for me to repartition my drive without loosing current data?
A: Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just repartition without deleting previous partitions that I know of.

wrong, there is numerous easy ways. the easiest way is to run a program like partition magic, resize your existing partition with your data on it (make it smaller) then create a new partition with the new found empty space

partition magic makes it easy with sliders and a simple graphical display, now it is not freeware. but im sure you all can manage to find it and have no problems pirating it
tongue.gif

there is also freeware programs out there which do the same thing, im only mentioning partition magic as it works great, its noob proof, and it always works..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW...