Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drove around town for like 7hours found a cubic ninja used copy for 30$ now I have a 64gb microsd card formatted to fat32, a legit retail cartridge of alpha sapphire, a 9.0 firmware n3dsxl and an sdcard reader.... now my end goal is going to be running cia's which i inject my alpha sapphire private header into, but still being able to spoof sysnand to access eshop updates for things like buying pokebank.... still so complicated! I guess I need sudokuhax, ntr cfw, and either reinand or cakesfw cfw? and I need to dump my retail cartridge rom and probably several more steps! My main goal is just to run a rom of alpha sapphire 1.4 alongside a copy of alpha sapphire 1.0 so I can both try to go online with one copy it as well as injecting old event pokemon if I want on 1.0 Shouldn't be too hard since I own a legitmate copy of the game but all these technical jargon sure is confusing! The save game compatibility might stink but maybe buying pokebank access would help? then again the 1.0 copy might not be able to connect to it even with a spoofed sysand?

.CIAs don't use private headers, they're just install and go online.
If you want e-shop on the Sysnand, just Launch Reinand > Hold [ B ] as you press [Start] at the splash screen (Until the screen goes black, then you can release [ B ]) > Install & launch FreeMultiPatcher > Launch e-shop.
You don't need Sudokuhax since you have Cubic Ninja, you can always boot Ninjhax 1.1 > FBI > Install ROP of the CFW you're using.
NTR will give you region free & some awesome plugins.
I'd recommend Reinand.
You don't need to dump your roms, unless you plan on making them into cias.
Not sure you'll be able to install two copies of the same game (cia) even if one isn't updated - You'll only be able to go online with an updated game. You could install a copy of the game as cia, and play the cartridge still.
Not sure what you're referring to with the save game compatibility, but yeah you'll need to be updated to access pokebank.

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.CIAs don't use private headers, they're just install and go online.
If you want e-shop on the Sysnand, just Launch Reinand > Hold [ B ] as you press [Start] at the splash screen (Until the screen goes black, then you can release [ B ]) > Install & launch FreeMultiPatcher > Launch e-shop.
You don't need Sudokuhax since you have Cubic Ninja, you can always boot Ninjhax 1.1 > FBI > Install ROP of the CFW you're using.
NTR will give you region free & some awesome plugins.
I'd recommend Reinand.
You don't need to dump your roms, unless you plan on making them into cias.
Not sure you'll be able to install two copies of the same game (cia) even if one isn't updated - You'll only be able to go online with an updated game. You could install a copy of the game as cia, and play the cartridge still.
Not sure what you're referring to with the save game compatibility, but yeah you'll need to be updated to access pokebank.

well right now I have alpha sapphire retail cartridge 1.0 in theory after I have all this setup I'll have alpha sapphire cia version 1.4 which won't be save game compatible so I'll have to start over at the beginning of the game?

reinand will let me get on the eshop with sysand firmware 9.0 even though the eshop requires 9.9 or 10.0 now? I can't update my emunand because i have n3ds instead of old3ds, from what I've read....

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well right now I have alpha sapphire retail cartridge 1.0 in theory after I have all this setup I'll have alpha sapphire cia version 1.4 which won't be save game compatible so I'll have to start over at the beginning of the game?

reinand will let me get on the eshop with sysand firmware 9.0 even though the eshop requires 9.9 or 10.0 now? I can't update my emunand because i have n3ds instead of old3ds, from what I've read....

You should be able to launch SaveDataFiler > Pokemon cartridge insert > Backup save > Inject save to SD card (cia)

FreeMultiPatcher should work still with the 10.0 firmware update. Works on Emunand or Sysnand.
Highest firmware you can go up to with the N3DS is 9.5.0-23

YodaJM

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In the Q&A you say installing .cia's to Emunand is highly advised, why is that? What about legit .cia's?

Also, I've finished setting up emunand and can launch Reinand through Ninjhax (decided not to do MSET for exploit for now). Can't I install the FBI cia so that I can directly run it from Pasta/Reinand?

Thanks for the guide! Setting it up was a breeze :)

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the Q&A you say installing .cia's to Emunand is highly advised, why is that? What about legit .cia's?

Also, I've finished setting up emunand and can launch Reinand through Ninjhax (decided not to do MSET for exploit for now). Can't I install the FBI cia so that I can directly run it from Pasta/Reinand?

Thanks for the guide! Setting it up was a breeze :)

It's best to avoid the Sysnand altogether when you can. Screw something up on Sysnand and you'll need a Hardmod - Screw something up on Emunand and you can just reflash your backup or create a new. It's just about not taking risks.

Yes, you can install whatever title manager you like.

Glad to have helped you get setup. ^_^

YodaJM

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick response!

So now that I formatted Sysnand, should I reinstall devmenu on Sysnand? I don't think I'll plan on using the MSET exploit to launch Reinand.

Lastly (hopefully ;) ), is the ReiROP only need for using the MSET exploit?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick response!

So now that I formatted Sysnand, should I reinstall devmenu on Sysnand? I don't think I'll plan on using the MSET exploit to launch Reinand.

Lastly (hopefully ;) ), is the ReiROP only need for using the MSET exploit?

Only if you plan on installing stuff to Sysnand, otherwise it's not needed.

Yup, it's just to tell the profile exploit to launch Reinand.

YodaJM

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble updating the emunand to 9.5. I got the firmware from the same place as your reinand install guide. I installed BigBlueMenu and then when I try to import all the cia's in my region firmware folder, it fails on the first one, saying: "Import faild. This cia is invalid. (0xd8e08027)"

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble updating the emunand to 9.5. I got the firmware from the same place as your reinand install guide. I installed BigBlueMenu and then when I try to import all the cia's in my region firmware folder, it fails on the first one, saying: "Import faild. This cia is invalid. (0xd8e08027)"

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Try installing with Devmenu (in Emunand). It should get most of the files, then go back to BBM if needed.

YodaJM

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try installing with Devmenu (in Emunand). It should get most of the files, then go back to BBM if needed.
They started installing ok then it got to one that failed. LEVEL_STATUS(-7), SUMMARY_INVALID_ARGUMENT(7), DESCRIPTION_ALREADY_EXISTS(102...goes off screen
Does that mean that cia is already installed?

Edit: Yeah, went back to BBM and it skipped past that file saying (and the original one it had trouble with), saying "Program already exists"

Edit2: BBM finished installing the rest, emuNAND is now on 9.5.0, thanks again for all the help! :)

Last edited by YodaJM,
Reactions: usernametaken

Enaske

Trophies
XP
Country
Top Guide:

Should I unllink EmuNand if I want to swap to rxTool 3.0 soon?

What else benefits from "No need to unwrap pack's every time"

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Top Guide:

Should I unllink EmuNand if I want to swap to rxTool 3.0 soon?

What else benefits from "No need to unwrap pack's every time"

You can unlink the nands if you want to, but it's not necessary.

Being able to access the Data Management without wiping installed content - Accessing e-shop without having installed dlc / updates being wiped (Some say it doesn't work for them, but it works for me :P)

joemama1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome Tutorial! It was very simple and easy to follow. Props!

Some constructive feedback...

You reference all 3 CIA installers - FBI, DevMenu, BBM - at some point in the tutorial. Is all 3 really needed? Isn't BBM an update to DevMenu with a name change?

Is DevMenu really still needed to install mset_(region).cia? Why can't FBI be used?

Just thinking it would be simpler if we had less CIA installers.

I would also recommend adding BigBlueMenu.cia, FBI.cia and FreemultiPatcher.cia to the "Root of mSD - [region]" folder.

Lastly, something should be mentioned about installing FBI/BBM to emunand as a last step.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome Tutorial! It was very simple and easy to follow. Props!

Some constructive feedback...

You reference all 3 CIA installers - FBI, DevMenu, BBM - at some point in the tutorial. Is all 3 really needed? Isn't BBM an update to DevMenu with a name change?

Is DevMenu really still needed to install mset_(region).cia? Why can't FBI be used?

Just thinking it would be simpler if we had less CIA installers.

I would also recommend adding BigBlueMenu.cia, FBI.cia and FreemultiPatcher.cia to the "Root of mSD - [region]" folder.

Lastly, something should be mentioned about installing FBI/BBM to emunand as a last step.

FBI is needed to install anything to Sysnand in the first place (unless you have a Gateway flashcart).
A specific version of Devmenu is needed to install the Mset; FBI could be used, but it'd require you to go into Nand and manually delete the old file, then install the new, which could lead to a brick if it was messed up *Not noob friendly*.
Once everything is all setup, I prefer BBM myself, but it's not necessary.

None of them are necessary for setting up the cfw (cias of bbm, fbi, fmp) which is all this guide is meant to do. There are many other things you can do to enhance your cfw experience, so i'd rather just provide what is necessary for the initial setup.
BBM is however included with the firmware update process since it's somewhat required. It's not necessary to update the firmware once you're setup, which is why it's not all in one pack.

I had figured it would be obvious enough that if you use Devmenu to install files on the Sysnand and your main goal is to get Emunand setup with Devmenu installed, that you'd use that to install other cias as well within the Emunand. :)

Glad you got setup without an issue. ^_^

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been out of the scene for like half a year, i got a New 3DS XL with 9.2 today. I want to install Reinand, but i stumbled on some issues.

Once Reinand is installed, how do i get DevMenu on there? I'm a little confused by the workings of Reinand, as i'm unsure what to do.

Basically what i want to do is :

- Be able to install CIA files
- Be able to play GBA roms

Do i need to do anything with my sysnand other then AGB_Firm?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of the scene for like half a year, i got a New 3DS XL with 9.2 today. I want to install Reinand, but i stumbled on some issues.

Once Reinand is installed, how do i get DevMenu on there? I'm a little confused by the workings of Reinand, as i'm unsure what to do.

Basically what i want to do is :

- Be able to install CIA files
- Be able to play GBA roms

Do i need to do anything with my sysnand other then AGB_Firm?

Install Devmenu to Sysnand, then create the Emunand so it'll transfer over. (Backup the mSD before formatting Emunand as it wipes the card)
If you had a Gateway Flashcart, you could just boot into Getway Emunand & install Devmenu or any other title manager at any time.

Not sure regarding GBA, I don't use them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, u sure you arent a preteen?