[TUTORIAL] PSA: use a correct 3v3 point for switch lite modchip installs!

doom95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
After installing a flashable 'OLED' modchip in a switch lite, I noticed 2 issues:
- I could not get the modchip into hwfly-toolbox mode by holding VOL+
- frequently, hekate fails to load, and sometimes the graphics appear garbled

Some troubleshooting revealed that the 3.3v supply point that's used for the original sx lite modchips on a capacitor near the SD card reader briefly gets gets interrupted when hekate loads. This causes the modchip to immediately power off, meaning it cannot continue to function in toolbox mode no matter what. When the supply is restored quickly after, the modchip powers up again but notices the switch is already past init/bootrom and immediately suspends itself. My unconfirmed belief is that this brief power spike either leads to RAM corruption or SD card reads corruption, thereby causing hekate to fail its initialization.

Instead, we should be using a 3v3 point from a hardware-controlled location rather than an sw-controlled one. The most suitable one I found is located directly underneath the cart reader. When using this point, all modchip functionality works as expected, and I have not encountered failed attempts to initialize hekate anymore.

Refer to the attached diagram where I modified only the suggested 3v3 point. Refer to the updated diagram in post #4 for the suggested 3v3 point.

Last edited by doom95,

Nagaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the information ! could you upload the image diagram for download ? I can't open it when i save it with right click

magolol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information ! could you upload the image diagram for download ? I can't open it when i save it with right click

Attachments

• diagramv3.png
    diagramv3.png
    751.7 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: Nagaa

magolol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also also, the statement "any 3v3 cap will do" is still technically true, but this PSA backs that up by stating not all 3v3 caps are equal. To each there own, but this is imo the definitive option.

Mena

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work. It also goes without saying using this with a standard lite chip is also a good idea, unless you really want that cleaner install.
kinda, sorta. if you want all functionality then do this. assuming you don't have the ram issue. if you're on 0.62 HWFLY-NX firmware then you're pretty golden i'd say. 0.62 is seemingly final

doom95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's 2 things I'd like to see changed for the firmware: it should skip re-flashing during training (looks like a bug, happens too often) and I want an indicator for when the modchip immediately decides to deep-sleep because it's powering on while the switch is already initialized past bootrom. Very minor stuff though, absolutely not pressing at all.

magolol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kinda, sorta. if you want all functionality then do this. assuming you don't have the ram issue. if you're on 0.62 HWFLY-NX firmware then you're pretty golden i'd say. 0.62 is seemingly final
Currently doesnt serve much purpose for hwfly lite chips since those are (afaik) NOT programmable. Once the payload has loaded you dont really need the chip to have power anymore. However, it is very useful for these chips.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
After installing a flashable 'OLED' modchip in a switch lite, I noticed 2 issues:
- I could not get the modchip into hwfly-toolbox mode by holding VOL+
- frequently, hekate fails to load, and sometimes the graphics appear garbled

Some troubleshooting revealed that the 3.3v supply point that's used for the original sx lite modchips on a capacitor near the SD card reader briefly gets gets interrupted when hekate loads. This causes the modchip to immediately power off, meaning it cannot continue to function in toolbox mode no matter what. When the supply is restored quickly after, the modchip powers up again but notices the switch is already past init/bootrom and immediately suspends itself. My unconfirmed belief is that this brief power spike either leads to RAM corruption or SD card reads corruption, thereby causing hekate to fail its initialization.

Instead, we should be using a 3v3 point from a hardware-controlled location rather than an sw-controlled one. The most suitable one I found is located directly underneath the cart reader. When using this point, all modchip functionality works as expected, and I have not encountered failed attempts to initialize hekate anymore. Refer to the attached diagram where I modified only the suggested 3v3 point.

View attachment 305640
Oled with garbled hekate graphics, ended up being the micro sd card. Samsung evo (Red n white, older style) with a Lite and had boot issues, replaced with a sandisk and issue gone. Both cards work fine on pc and are genuine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc