Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What you need:
1. A mod chip (If you want to use the Twilight Hack, look somewhere else)

2. A DVD burner and a blank DVD or three or four (Memorex DVD-R's have always worked the best for me)

3. Trucha Signer v0.21 and the ubiquitous common key.bin (Don't ask where to get it from, don't PM me, don't PM anyone else... Google it, search your favorite site for downloads, whatever, just don't ask, I won't give it out as it is illegal to do so).
Trucha Signer v0.21: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1909

4. Wad installer v2.1 (wad uninstaller v1.1 also optional)
Installer v2.1: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2330
Uninstaller v1.1: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2331

5. A legit Wii ISO, of any game, and it's fine if the ISO is scrubbed, that doesn't matter. As long as you can boot from the ISO on your Wii, it should work. (I ran it ok on an ISO that was scrubbed, not sure about running homebrews from regionfrii'd or brickblocked ISOs).

6. An SD card (the one that will fit in the front of your Wii, not a MicroSD or MiniSD unless you have a TransFlash to regular SD)

Setup:
If you have all that so far, you need to set up Trucha Signer. To do that, use this tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=76657
You don't have to add the "Optional Keys" to the registry file (it may help if you have problems, but it takes a few more minutes and it does say "Optional"), but make sure you do double click the registry file to add it to your registry and save it too before you add it to your registry.

Once you've got that set up, you're going to want to get that ISO. Make sure you have a backup of it!!! You wont be able to get it back after you edit it with Trucha Signer.

Load the ISO in Trucha Signer, on the file list, expand the DISC folder, expand the second PARTITION folder (the bottom of the two), and finally expand the SYSFILES folder. Now find the file 'main.dol' in the SYSFILES folder, right click it and press "Replace". Now browse to 'wad-installer.dol' and pick that... it should say Replaced successful or something like that. After that, make sure, **this is important**, right click the bottom PARTITION folder and click "Trucha Sign It!". Now you can close everything and burn the ISO (I used imgBurn).

Finally, put that SD card in your PC, make a folder on it called 'wads' and place any wad you want in there. Make sure not to put too many, you don't want to overload your Wii! Only do a few at a time and recheck your space in the Wii System Menu under Disk Management (known as "Blocks") often.

When you put the DVD in your Wii, it will come up as whatever game ISO you burned it to, but as soon as you run it, it will come up with a black screen with white text. When it says to do so, just press the reset button on the Wii once, it will continue to load the files after you do that. When it's totally finished, it will say press the reset button... so do it.

That's it! Also, if you remove a game from the Wii using the Data Management page on the Wii, you **have to** use Wad Uninstaller to remove it or else you wont be able to install it again. If you get an error along the lines of [ret -1022] while installing a wad it means you already installed the wad, but haven't uninstalled it using the uninstaller (even though you may have removed it from Data Management on your Wii's System Menu). Wad Uninstaller works the exact same way, except in reverse... as in, the wads in the 'wads' directory on the SD card will be removed from your Wii instead of added. Be careful as to what you put in that folder if you run the Uninstaller, you don't want to remove any other games by accident.

Hope this helps anyone that was looking for a guide like this. Any comments/criticism/corrections would be appreciated... I wasn't sure if a tutorial like this already existed, so I thought I'd help.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I was wondering how one went about doing this
smile.gif

I dont have a Wii, but I was interested.

dimmujed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. this has already been posted 100 times almost word for word
2. you can do this with the twilight hack
3. I have a mod chip, and it's WAY easier to do with the twilight hack then to do ur method.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dimmujed said:
1. this has already been posted 100 times almost word for word
yet everyone doesn't know it.
dimmujed said:
2. you can do this with the twilight hack

Thanks for clarifying this for me.
QUOTE(dimmujed @ May 14 2008, 09:21 PM)
3. I have a mod chip, and it's WAY easier to do with the twilight hack then to do ur method.
Great
smile.gif
So what did you buy a modchip for? Does the modchip allow you to do something the twilight hack doesn't?

beano311

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
you don't need a modchip and you wrote duh afterwards. hahaha. this must be awkward.
Must be equally as awkward for you as I did write (right after that) that I wasn't 100% sure... and thanks for the constructive criticism! Thumbs up to you. Also, nothing an Edit can't fix.

gizmo_gal said:
QUOTE(dimmujed @ May 14 2008, 09:21 PM) 3. I have a mod chip, and it's WAY easier to do with the twilight hack then to do ur method.
Great
smile.gif
So what did you buy a modchip for? Does the modchip allow you to do something the twilight hack doesn't?
The modchip also allows you to burn Wii games (ISOs) and run them on your Wii (among other things).

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beano311 said:
priapism said:
you don't need a modchip and you wrote duh afterwards. hahaha. this must be awkward.
Must be equally as awkward for you as I did write (right after that) that I wasn't 100% sure... and thanks for the constructive criticism! Thumbs up to you. Also, nothing an Edit can't fix.

Darn you edit button! i guess your right about my lack of contribution to the thread. i will add something helpful now.

using the TP hack is possible without a modchip. it is also a quicker way to install a wad and it doesn't "waste" a DVDR.

beano311

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
beano311 said:
priapism said:

Darn you edit button! i guess your right about my lack of contribution to the thread. i will add something helpful now.

using the TP hack is possible without a modchip. it is also a quicker way to install a wad and it doesn't "waste" a DVDR.

Yeah, only problem is, not everyone has Twilight Princess for the Wii *gasp*, lol. I actually own the GC version, so I never bothered to get the Wii version (My friend pre-ordered it for me for the NGC when I didn't have a Wii and knew I wouldn't be getting one for a while, so I took the loss and kept the NGC version. Then I got a Wii about week or so later...) so for me, wasting a DVD-R (or three for wad uninstaller and dupe channel remover) is easier.

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beano311 said:
priapism said:
beano311 said:
priapism said:

Yeah, only problem is, not everyone has Twilight Princess for the Wii *gasp*, lol. I actually own the GC version, so I never bothered to get the Wii version (My friend pre-ordered it for me for the NGC when I didn't have a Wii and knew I wouldn't be getting one for a while, so I took the loss and kept the NGC version. Then I got a Wii about week or so later...) so for me, wasting a DVD-R (or three for wad uninstaller and dupe channel remover) is easier.
Thanks for the Tut. Also, the DVD method works better for me since a bunch of my friends have their Wii's chipped but have no interest in doing all the TP hacks. So instead, we "wasted" one DVD and everyone just runs that as the Wad loader. Much easier.

thrasher80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also like the idea of this method as opposed to the twilight method. however every time i try to make this disk i get and error when the wii tries to read it. has this method been broken with the release of newer firmware?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s