Tutorial - Decrypting ROMs for Citra without a 3DS!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by EdwardElric, Oct 9, 2016.

1. EdwardElric
    OP

EdwardElric GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    Welcome to my tutorial on converting .cia roms to .3ds to run in Citra 3DS Emulator! If you have any problems please do not hesitate to PM me or post a reply on this thread for some assistance, Enjoy!

Part 1 - Tools
    To convert your ROM for the Citra Emulator, you will need some tools. Below, you will find the tools needed for ROM conversion.
    Part 2 - Lets get started! - Now that we are onto the second part, we can now start decrypting 3DS games!

Part 2: Step 1 "Python" - If you do not already have Python 2.7, Download and install it (Link in Part 1). (If already installed, you may skip this step)

Part 2: Step 2 "Almost ready!" - Now that you have Python 2.7 installed, you need to extract the "3DS to CIA Converter v4.1.rar" with an extractor that extracts RAR files (WinRAR recommended)

Part 3 - Preparing .CIA for Convert - Now that you have the 3DS to CIA Converter extracted, take your CIA file, and put it in the same folder as the "3DS to CIA Converter.bat" file and name it something simple like for example, Mario Kart 7 could be renamed to MarioKart.cia.
    One.PNG

Part 4 - Converting the ROM - Now it is finally time to convert the ROM! Open up "3DS to CIA Converter.bat" and you will see some options going from one to six. Type 3 and press enter.
    Options.PNG

Once you are in the converters menu, you will see 9 options. Type 6 and press enter. Now that you're in the "CIA to 3DS Convert" option, enter the name of the CIA file and press enter.
    MK.PNG

Be patient and just wait for the ROM to convert. Once the ROM is converted, it will say "Congratulations You're Done!".

Part 5 - Running the file on Citra - Once you are finished in the 3DS to CIA Converter, go back to your folder and you will see something like this
    done.PNG
    Now take the .3ds file and launch it in Citra (if it doesnt work, try the -alt file) and it should run as planned.

Part 6 - Proof that it works - And now we see it in Citra! (You may need extra files dumped from 3DS to run certain games on Citra, though.) citra.PNG

Last edited by EdwardElric, Oct 9, 2016
    Link_irado and Soulsilve2010 like this.
  2. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    You didn't actually decrypt anything... Just converted a decrypted cia to 3ds...

3. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    So Converting a Decrypted CIA into a Decrypted 3DS file
    counts as decryption?

[​IMG]

Congrats what a masterful guide

maybe read your own screenshots

[​IMG]

Last edited by squee666, Oct 9, 2016
    Razor83 and ih8ih8sn0w like this.
  4. EdwardElric
    OP

EdwardElric GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    Fixed.

5. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Wot

6. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    let's see how many errors we get from people who didn't realize you had to decrypt the CIA on the 3DS before doing this

Quantumcat and ih8ih8sn0w like this.
  7. WOOO1234

WOOO1234 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2017
    United States
    I know this is an old thread,but curious

what you guys mean by files dumped from 3ds?

How come when doing conversion it says files not found? (Because of 3ds dump files,not having them?)

Last thing can someone help do this correctly and tell me what I am missing. Thank you

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nvm got to make sure ur file has an extra . when u put in command.
    I put Mariokart.cia and is said no file found

but actually when you put Mariokart.cia.
    It finds it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It says it could not read exheader file???

It made a mariokart.cia.cci file but no 3ds file

HELP!!!

8. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    gud necrobump. The thread is a person who doesnt understand what decrypt means. Dont worry about this.

ih8ih8sn0w and Arubaro like this.
  9. WOOO1234

WOOO1234 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2017
    United States
    Can you help or point me in right direction?

10. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    you need a 3ds case and point. Also this is outdated anyway. What do you want to know how to do?

11. SubLoverD

SubLoverD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017
    the code execution cannot proceed further because MSVCR71.dll was not found. reinstalling the program may fix this problem

What have i done wrong?

12. Dragen

Dragen Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    France
    How can I convert a 3ds file to a 3ds file descrypted for Citra please ? I have try this tutoriel but it need the 3ds file in ".cia" ?