Homebrew Trying to update N3DS with custom Sleep Screen installed, help needed

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've done this a few times, and I always remember it being a headache, and every time not remembering how or where to start this process, and realizing that I should probably just ask and make sure I get this right from the start.

I've installed a custom sleep screen as explained here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-complete-guide-to-customizing-your-home-and-sleep-menu.470088/ Not the easiest task to accomplish, but very pleasing all the same. The unfortunate part about it is that every time the 3DS gets a system update, you can't simply tell the system to update. You can try, but it will error out and say it couldn't do the update. So what I have to do is reinstall the original HomeMenu.cia (title ID: 0004003000008F02) with godmode9 for that Firmware. But I'm having trouble getting ahold of this file. My 3DS is a US New 3DS XL, on v. 11.12.0-44U I wouldn't update, except that I can't play any games online right now unless I do.

In the past I was able to track down the home menu .cia from that darth site that archived 3DS firmwares, but they appear to have stopped cataloging them at 11.9.0-42U Is there another method of obtaining the .cia I need? I also seem to recall installing the proper home menu.cia for my version in the past still blocked the update, and I think I had to reinstall the firmware I was on entirely and then I was able to update. Is there a known way of doing that? Reinstalling your current firmware?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was indeed able to grab the proper home menu.cia with NUSPacker, reinstalled that with the home menu script in GodMode9, and now the sleep screen is back to it's traditional self. But still, the system refuses to update. As I said I seem to remember this being a problem in the past too, and I had to reinstall the entire firmware and only then can I update, how would I do this? I have all the .cias of 11.12.0-44U, do I install them in some way with GodMode9?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I found a solution, not one that will necessarily work for everyone that finds themselves in this scenario depending on how careful they've been, but if you're like me, you can do this: go to godmode9, restore a sysNAND backup you made before changing the sleep screen, then do a system update, silly, and kinda obvious in retrospect, but it works. I'll just always be sure to keep a NAND backup from before changing the sleep screen as I move forward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*