Trying to revive an old fat PS2

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by tomrev, Apr 20, 2011.

Apr 20, 2011

Trying to revive an old fat PS2 by tomrev at 2:26 PM (1,372 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. tomrev
    OP

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just found my old fat PS2(50006 model). I'm trying to revive it but the DVD lens has broken. Any idea for fix it? The lens for fat is hard to find at the moment. Mcboot + Network Adater is the best option?

2. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    You don't necessarily need a network adapter if you have an external hdd, but the con with using an external hdd is that videos will stutter. I don't use Mcboot, but I think it'll work as long as you have the memory card inserted so that's probably your best bet. Once you go hard drives, you may never want to return to using discs.

3. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i have a SCPH-50001 console i need to FMCB but like you has a similar issue but it's the spindlehub the disc sits on that has stopped spinning.
    you can still find ps2 phat lasers but they tend to be quite expensive.
    this site http://www.richspsxparts.com/v9.html wants $54.95 for just the damned laser, not worth it considering a used phat is $50 at gamestop, it'd probably also be cheaper/a better investment to get some one with FMCB to put it on your MC and buy a SATA HDD adapter off DX http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-...000-50000-54329 $41isn't bad cause hey it's SATA on a PS2 but you can probably find the old network adapters somewhere for cheaper.
    on the other hand in my case, what i need http://www.richspsxparts.com/hubmot.html is only $15 a much less substantial investment i am happy to order when pay day gets here.
    now i probably won't order it from there because i have a sneaking suspicion i can find it cheaper elsewhere, but i can't locate the lasers anywhere else.

4. tomrev
    OP

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thank you for suggestions. [​IMG] I ordered Network Adapter, SATA to IDE converter (not sure it work?) and try to find someone to make free mcboot for my memory card. Hope all those things will work perfectly.

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    To fit the sata to ide inside you may need to get a 2.5 inch hdd and use some brackets so it fits in nice !
    Edit: didn't see after market network adapters damn if they work good investment.
    I still dont trust dealextrem e for quality.
    No links please ^

6. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    psx-scene has a thread of people who will do it for you for free if you pay shipping, but they will format your memory card before doing so.