Homebrew Trying to port Chip's Challenge (Open Source) to 3DS, a little help please?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, so I first try to fix the crashing issues in your code than I'll think to sound.

But I need help to install the libs in devkitpro. I downloaded the compiled libs (by now only zlib, libpng, freetype, then I'll download the libs by Xerpi) and copied them in the portlibs folder, but can't figure out how to register them.

Any hint for a windows OS?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks. Toolchain setup completed. I had to update ctrulib too.

But still have problem with sf2dlib. Installed latest version from xerpi github but some types don't match with fakesdl definitions.

I'll check them tomorow.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now I can compile the code.

I had problems making the 3dsx, but I figured out it was the use of exceptions in the code.

I commented out them (I'll have to make some workaround to handle them in a different way later) and now the 3dsx compile and run fine.

Probably the exception was the cause of the crashing of hippi dave version (the crash was happening after loading a rom, where there is try - catch statement)

Unfortunately I have another problem, the hw rendering give me only flickering image in small parts of the screen. I suppose is a problem of compiling with aemstro.

Any hint?

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Right, here's a project I was working on that I have basically stopped doing anything with because I'm a lazy bum, and have moved on to other projects.

edit: Whoops right file this time:
https://mega.nz/#!jNA3DDaY!J6T0VTRbtHMbYfNl-QsCfK2v5qOTllApyUTbuL5NRiw

I also wanted to play Chip's Challenge, so I started porting Handy, the Atari Lynx emulator, to 3ds. The emulator works, with no sound, but seems to play CC well. I ported it from a Dingux version, which was based on an SDL version, which was based on the original - and the menu is mostly from the Dingux version which was taken from gpSP. There are various credits files scattered in there but I haven't done one.
Um, the 3dsx build seems to crash all the time from Ninjhax (1.x, haven't tried NH2), the cia build is a bit busted in that it doesn't show on the home menu, but you can run it from devmenu or equivalent. The menu mostly works, thumbnails for save states are often corrupted but that doesn't break anything. Ideally, someone will take this source, throw it up on github, and people will fix it up (I imagine the cia icon not being visible will be trivial to fix for a start) - I just can't be bothered. But in the meantime, if you throw lynxboot.img and some .lnx roms in /lynx/ on your sdcard, install the cia and run it from devmenu etc, then you too can play Chip's Challenge with no sound.
There's an exit menu option, but pressing Select also exits immediately, and writes a save state (that isn't listed in the menu), which reloads when you open that rom. I think R trigger also writes over that save state. L trigger changes screen scaling. That's probably about it, have fun.

OOOOoooohhhhh! Atari Lynx emulator! This is COOOOL :)

Hope you will get sound and fullscreen one day! =)

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm starting to go insede the code.

The problem with the corruptes savestate thumbnail could be related to using the backbuffer to create the image, I'll try to use mainSurface instead of HandyBuffer.

I found onother bud in the gui: if inside the linx forder you entee a subfolder, you can't exit and pressing some keys the program crashes.

I also found that the centipede rom has the screen upside down.

But the priority remains to fix the HW rendering. Maybe it's the ctrulib version, I updated only fixed a change in the label for the enum for screentype, I have to check if changed something else or try a ctrulib version some months older.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While studying the code I made some change to the gui and made new icons and banner.

I made some progresses to solve the known bugs; the problem with the screenshots depends on two factors.

First the texture sides internally are always power of two and the data buffer is not linear but tiled, so to save a frame one has to save the whole buffer (256*256*4 in this case). Second thing is that with a single buffer what we are saving is not what is showed on the screen, but has some data written for the next frame (not tiled). Thats why there is garbage on the screenshot.

I'm restoring double buffer to have a clean image.

I also found the problem with the subdirectory (in some poiints the code expect a directory with a final slash, in other parts not). Almost finished this fix too.

The only thing I can't fix is the flickering, but I have it on sf2dlib sample too, so it must be something broken in my toolchain or in the last version of ctrulib/aemstro (I reistalled devkitpro and all the libs, but not solved).

Don't know if I can have a clean build before leaving for holidays (only two days left). Probably I'll have to wait to be back at the end of August, then I'll continue to clean the code and start working to sound.

See you in September.

Reactions: hippy dave

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I did not see it mentioned I should probably say the DS got a nice homebrew remake (original plus the "level pack" fan sequel thing) under the name Codename Hacker
http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/games/download-codename-hacker-1-1-f32077.html

GBA version from the same author, still a good game but I am not sure how well GBA homebrew injects for those heading down that path on the 3ds.
http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/homebrew/download-chips-advance-2-1-f32078.html

That said if this would see a decent build/port of SDL made available for the 3ds I will not discourage things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.