Hardware Trying to migrate to a higher capacity card, getting an error regarding structure type

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
As per the title, I'm trying to migrate to a higher capacity card, but I'm getting an error regarding the structure type of the source disk.

I'm using AOMEI for this since I saw a video mentioning the process.

How do I solve this? also, since I did the whole process a long time ago, i had already forgotten why i have almost 30GB of an unformatted partition.
1687873318143.png
1687873202321.png

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your destination's format type is exFAT, your current switch sd card is FAT32. if you just want to bring everything over and change nothing, format the exFAT drive to FAT32 with that software or ridgecrop FAT32format GUI. if you're wanting to keep the data that's on that destination drive (looks like you have some), be sure to back it up elsewhere before formatting.

If you're wanting to switch to using exFAT for use in the switch, which makes life a lot easier, you'll need to do a few more steps. mainly figuring out what everything is on your current sd card, why it's there, and what you actually want to bring over. it won't be as simple as formatted exFAT then copying files over. consider it a good time for a spring cleaning and a chance to backup the important stuff by copying it to your computer, and then try to do as much of the formatting/backups from within hekate as you can

all those partitions...I'm guessing emunand partition related items? seems a bit odd to me, regardless.

Last edited by osaka35,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven't provided nearly enough information. Like... why is your card the way it is (with so many partitions)? Are you running linux, android, and a partition-based emummc all at once? Without knowing enough info, I'd suggest assigning a drive letter to the "unformatted" partition, and when Windows says you need to format the disk to use it, DON'T! Fire up win32diskimager (ImageWriter), point it to that new drive letter, and "read" the disk to create an image file. Then... poke around that file with HxD hex editor to see if it's really an empty file or not.

Also... Throw hekate on the new card as it is, and boot into NYX. Let NYX format it properly through the partition menu. You *really* do not want to use exfat in HOS, especially if you're using an emummc.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven't provided nearly enough information. Like... why is your card the way it is (with so many partitions)? Are you running linux, android, and a partition-based emummc all at once? Without knowing enough info, I'd suggest assigning a drive letter to the "unformatted" partition, and when Windows says you need to format the disk to use it, DON'T! Fire up win32diskimager (ImageWriter), point it to that new drive letter, and "read" the disk to create an image file. Then... poke around that file with HxD hex editor to see if it's really an empty file or not.

Also... Throw hekate on the new card as it is, and boot into NYX. Let NYX format it properly through the partition menu. You *really* do not want to use exfat in HOS, especially if you're using an emummc.
exfat used to be a terrible terrible idea because nintendo implemented it terribly or something. but they've fixed things and it's quite fine now, as far as I'm aware, unless some new issues has cropped up.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

I have android and i guess a partition based emummc, I don't really understand it all too much to give too much info, I went through a guide ages ago.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess that's good, if true. I don't recall ever seeing news about that. Only horror stories from people with corrupted sd cards.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
your destination's format type is exFAT, your current switch sd card is FAT32. if you just want to bring everything over and change nothing, format the exFAT drive to FAT32 with that software or ridgecrop FAT32format GUI. if you're wanting to keep the data that's on that destination drive (looks like you have some), be sure to back it up elsewhere before formatting.

If you're wanting to switch to using exFAT for use in the switch, which makes life a lot easier, you'll need to do a few more steps. mainly figuring out what everything is on your current sd card, why it's there, and what you actually want to bring over. it won't be as simple as formatted exFAT then copying files over. consider it a good time for a spring cleaning and a chance to backup the important stuff by copying it to your computer, and then try to do as much of the formatting/backups from within hekate as you can

all those partitions...I'm guessing emunand partition related items? seems a bit odd to me, regardless.
I see.
The destination data is not important so I can do anything on it, however, since I'm already using FAT32 and it works, why would I switch to exFAT instead of just changing my destination to FAT32 and migrating everything over? what are the advantages?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have android and i guess a partition based emummc, I don't really understand it all too much to give too much info, I went through a guide ages ago.
You might want to read up on how to convert a partition-based to a file-based. Less hassle. The 30GB partition is almost definitely your emummc, and you really don't want to mess it up.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You might want to read up on how to convert a partition-based to a file-based. Less hassle. The 30GB partition is almost definitely your emummc, and you really don't want to mess it up.
I converted the destination disk using Rufus, however, I'm stil geting the same error message as above
1687876167215.png

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rufus? Why? I said to let NYX format the card. Then, get a snapshot of your SD info screen from that new card (in NYX, and post it here), because it's starting to sound like your card is fake.

EDIT: Oh... just went back and re-ead the OP. It's this partition manager that is the problem. You're probably going to want to reinstall android from scratch, After following a tutorial to make a file-based emummc from your partition-based one. If you need more space on your fat32 partition to do that, just backup everything from your fat32 partition, then delete your Nintendo folder. You can copy it back on the new card when you're done partitioning and flashing android (again, do this within NYX).

Last edited by urherenow,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As per the title, I'm trying to migrate to a higher capacity card, but I'm getting an error regarding the structure type of the source disk.

I'm using AOMEI for this since I saw a video mentioning the process.

How do I solve this? also, since I did the whole process a long time ago, i had already forgotten why i have almost 30GB of an unformatted partition.
View attachment 380376View attachment 380341

You installed Android?

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Rufus? Why? I said to let NYX format the card. Then, get a snapshot of your SD info screen from that new card (in NYX, and post it here), because it's starting to sound like your card is fake.

EDIT: Oh... just went back and re-ead the OP. It's this partition manager that is the problem. You're probably going to want to reinstall android from scratch, After following a tutorial to make a file-based emummc from your partition-based one. If you need more space on your fat32 partition to do that, just backup everything from your fat32 partition, then delete your Nintendo folder. You can copy it back on the new card when you're done partitioning and flashing android (again, do this within NYX).
I already formated the destination card to fate32 GPT same as my source and was able to start the cloning process, why would I need to remove android?

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Which means it won't work? It's pretty much cloning over the partitions so wouldnt it do that and just leave whatever space I have left?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which means it won't work? It's pretty much cloning over the partitions so wouldnt it do that and just leave whatever space I have left?
The app you're using is throwing an error at you. Why do you even ask this question? Most cloning utilities will actually do something with the extra space, not simply leave it unallocated. In the case of many partitions of different file formats, it has no idea what to do with that extra space (I'm assuming here). And by the way, NYX preps your card for performance, using the proper cluster size and such. Most utilities don't do such a good job of that.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The app you're using is throwing an error at you. Why do you even ask this question? Most cloning utilities will actually do something with the extra space, not simply leave it unallocated. In the case of many partitions of different file formats, it has no idea what to do with that extra space (I'm assuming here).
As I said above, i formated to FAT32 AND converted to GPT as my source is, this fixed the issue with the error and now the process is running.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see.
The destination data is not important so I can do anything on it, however, since I'm already using FAT32 and it works, why would I switch to exFAT instead of just changing my destination to FAT32 and migrating everything over? what are the advantages?
There are a few, but for me, it's having the ability to have file size above 4GB. since i usually just dump the cartridges i own, it was an infrequent issue, but still. makes installing stuff far quicker, as my FTP and USB time out way too frequently, and SD installs are much quicker and consistent. Plus if i want to emulate or watch videos, there's no size restrictions. It takes way too long to install over network and fails a lot, and splitting files was far too tedious and time consuming.

It's more of a "i value my time and sanity" than a "runs better" kind of thing.

As I said above, i formated to FAT32 AND converted to GPT as my source is, this fixed the issue with the error and now the process is running.
congrats! glad it's working now.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
There are a few, but for me, it's having the ability to have file size above 4GB. since i usually just dump the cartridges i own, it was an infrequent issue, but still. makes installing stuff far quicker, as my FTP and USB time out way too frequently, and SD installs are much quicker and consistent. Plus if i want to emulate or watch videos, there's no size restrictions. It takes way too long to install over network and fails a lot, and splitting files was far too tedious and time consuming.

It's more of a "i value my time and sanity" than a "runs better" kind of thing.

congrats! glad it's working now.
Should it work even though I have android installed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.