Hacking Homebrew Misc Trying to make a Wii VC Game and having issues.

Roger_Wii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having issues trying to load a custom .wad I've made of a romhack. I've spent a few hours attempting to solve the issue but every time I load it in Dolphin it simply gives an error and a black screen. I am too afraid to put it on my Wii because I do not want to possibly brick it. I have a list of what may possibly be wrong with this .wad that Dolphin had generated. The image should be attached.

Quick Note: I am no expert modder of the Wii or anything, I've just threw a rom against multiple programs and made a few .wads, this is my first issue I've encountered.

image_2022-06-18_222052979.png

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I am having issues trying to load a custom .wad I've made of a romhack. I've spent a few hours attempting to solve the issue but every time I load it in Dolphin it simply gives an error and a black screen. I am too afraid to put it on my Wii because I do not want to possibly brick it. I have a list of what may possibly be wrong with this .wad that Dolphin had generated. The image should be attached.

Quick Note: I am no expert modder of the Wii or anything, I've just threw a rom against multiple programs and made a few .wads, this is my first issue I've encountered.

View attachment 314416
@Roger_Wii

These checks made by Dolphin doesn't matter, but the game WAD crashing on error and then black screen does matter, meaning that you didn't do well any step.

Use this compilation of tutorials, this has tutorials for inject almost any supported console by the Wii Virtual Console.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of...ms-to-wii-as-virtual-console-channels.586123/

If by any reason the game cannot be launched even when you did everything correct, use this another tutorial instead:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ls-of-your-favorite-retro-games-d-wii.602640/

Greetings ;)

Reactions: Roger_Wii

Roger_Wii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SaulFabre

The first tutorial seemed to have "worked" at first. It still hasn't run in dolphin, but I thought that I was perhaps getting somewhere.

Around the step of injecting the save image n' stuff it gave me an error which will be inserted under this sentence.

image_2022-06-20_012202354.png

I'm pretty sure that I unpacked the .wad correctly and that the rom itself is fully working.

I've followed each step to the best of my ability and I've followed each step as carefully and precise as could be.

Please reply back.

(Quick Note: I haven't tried the second tutorial yet, but I may later today if I feel like it.)

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@SaulFabre

The first tutorial seemed to have "worked" at first. It still hasn't run in dolphin, but I thought that I was perhaps getting somewhere.

Around the step of injecting the save image n' stuff it gave me an error which will be inserted under this sentence.

View attachment 314552

I'm pretty sure that I unpacked the .wad correctly and that the rom itself is fully working.

I've followed each step to the best of my ability and I've followed each step as carefully and precise as could be.

Please reply back.

(Quick Note: I haven't tried the second tutorial yet, but I may later today if I feel like it.)
what NES game WAD are you using as base for injecting your rom?

Roger_Wii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, that's strange since it doesn't use any kind of compression.
What game are you trying to inject?

@SaulFabre

I am attempting to inject an obscure rom hack (demake) of Pokémon Yellow.
I'm not sure what the original base rom of it was, as I could only find one download online.
(It had already been patched with the rom hack.)

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@SaulFabre

I am attempting to inject an obscure rom hack (demake) of Pokémon Yellow.
I'm not sure what the original base rom of it was, as I could only find one download online.
@Roger_Wii

Nowadays most pirate/homebrew/romhacks games cannot be played on Wii VC, please consider using Single ROM Loaders instead.

I will try to see if this game even works on Wii VC and i will try to make a save banner for that.

I think you're referring at this pirate game?:

Roger_Wii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Roger_Wii

Nowadays most pirate/homebrew/romhacks games cannot be played on Wii VC, please consider using Single ROM Loaders instead.

I will try to see if this game even works on Wii VC and i will try to make a save banner for that.

I think you're referring at this pirate game?:

Actually I am not.

It is literally the entirety of Pokémon Yellow on a .nes file.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
After @Roger_Wii and me spoke about this in a PM, he tried to inject this game:

Pokémon Yellow (NES Pirate Demake)

As i've thought, this pirate game won't work on Wii VC as an injected game, since the ROM is too large for the base game Kirby's Adventure.

Sizes:
Pokémon Yellow (NES Chinese Demake) - 2048 kB (2 MB)
Kirby's Adventure - 768 kB (0,7 MB)

The size of Pokémon Yellow NES overpasses the size limit of Kirby's Adventure, that's because you get those error messages and the black screen.

Also you can't edit the save title nor save icon for try to inject that Chinese game because the VC Save Injector tried to overpass the search limit, throwing error "This is not a valid NES 1.app file!"

I could recommend using FCEUX TX for make a Single ROM Loader (SRL) of that NES demake.

But, sincerously, I'd rather play the original Pokémon Yellow (of the GBC/Game Boy Color of course) on Wii (by using Visual Boy Advance GX) rather than this demake on NES, lol.
Using these patches could help you for best experience on playing Pokémon Yellow GBC on VBA-GX (oblviously as a SRL) on Wii:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5746/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4050/

For make a custom Single ROM Loader, follow this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ls-of-your-favorite-retro-games-d-wii.602640/

Good luck with having Pokémon Yellow (of NES or better of the original GBC with the patches mentioned) on your Wii as a Wii VC Channel.

saulfabreg :)

Roger_Wii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I am not.

It is literally the entirety of Pokémon Yellow on a .nes file.

After @Roger_Wii and me spoke about this in a PM, he tried to inject this game:

Pokémon Yellow (NES Pirate Demake)

As i've thought, this pirate game won't work on Wii VC as an injected game, since the ROM is too large for the base game Kirby's Adventure.

Sizes:
Pokémon Yellow (NES Chinese Demake) - 2048 kB (2 MB)
Kirby's Adventure - 768 kB (0,7 MB)

The size of Pokémon Yellow NES overpasses the size limit of Kirby's Adventure, that's because you get those error messages and the black screen.

Also you can't edit the save title nor save icon for try to inject that Chinese game because the VC Save Injector tried to overpass the search limit, throwing error "This is not a valid NES 1.app file!"

I could recommend using FCEUX TX for make a Single ROM Loader (SRL) of that NES demake.

But, sincerously, I'd rather play the original Pokémon Yellow (of the GBC/Game Boy Color of course) on Wii (by using Visual Boy Advance GX) rather than this demake on NES, lol.
Using these patches could help you for best experience on playing Pokémon Yellow GBC on VBA-GX (oblviously as a SRL) on Wii:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5746/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4050/

For make a custom Single ROM Loader, follow this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ls-of-your-favorite-retro-games-d-wii.602640/

Good luck with having Pokémon Yellow (of NES or better of the original GBC with the patches mentioned) on your Wii as a Wii VC Channel.

saulfabreg :)

Thank you for you help. Sometimes I wish somebody out there was able to somehow make .wad base files to be way larger in size, but then again it may be impossible. I once again thank you for helping me out this way. Goodbye for now!

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thank you for you help. Sometimes I wish somebody out there was able to somehow make .wad base files to be way larger in size, but then again it may be impossible. I once again thank you for helping me out this way. Goodbye for now!
:)

You're welcome

Don't forget that if you still want to play that NES demake, or even the original GBC game, on the Nintendo Wii, as a Wii VC channel, use a SRL :)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ls-of-your-favorite-retro-games-d-wii.602640/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy