Troubles with PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JPdensetsu, May 1, 2009.

May 1, 2009

Troubles with PC by JPdensetsu at 3:58 PM (1,100 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. JPdensetsu
    OP

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    Some of my apps such as Windows Live Messenger, Skype, µtorrent and more doesn't work on my computer and I don't even know the reason why. I already tried to scan my computer, but it didn't found any virus. When I want to comment or reply on a forum, firefox crash. So, does anyone know what can be the problem. And don't flame me, I searched around the net.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Has it just started doing this try a system restore to a date it was ok. If it has I think it might be something to do with a windows update. You won't get flamed in the Computer Systems section we all help each other around here [​IMG]

edit: XP or Vista?

3. JPdensetsu
    OP

Taiwan
    I'm using Windows XP Professional (Version 2002) with Service Pack 2. I didn't updated my computer since months, but maybe without I know.

4. Lee79

United Kingdom
  5. JPdensetsu
    OP

Taiwan
    I just tried it a few times, but it can't go back to an earlier date, I don't know why. I tried 15 February 2009, 1 January 2009...

6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I think that this has something to do with the newer firefox updates.
    Seriously, I've started getting bluescreens, and at my school with windows server 2008, firefox doesn't work properly.
    Sometimes it just stops all other applications working so I have to reboot. In fact, sometimes I can't shut down so I make a bluescreen: http://psacake.com/web/jr.asp

Try running google chrome... I hate it, and still use firefox, but if its getting that bad...
    Even try running firefox 2.0

Hope I helped.
    There are other possible things (only one of which is a virus), so try this, and if it doesn't work, reply and I'll post the next thing ect...

7. Lee79

United Kingdom
    I have windows XP and the latest Firefox and it is running ok i do not think it is anything to do with Firefox.

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Seems like most of your problems are 'Internet related' (Skype/Torrent/Firefox/Messenger) - so I would think that's where the problem lies
    Could it be your firewall has updated automatically & is causing the problem ??

I can't read German (or whatever the language in the pictures is) but I did do a search for Messenger error code 800706BE & most results point towards a Microsoft Update problem OR people using a BETA version of 'Messenger' OR there's a windows 'service' has been disabled/removed (sorry it was only a quick search - I'm not reading through 100's of pages trying to find out WHICH service they were talking about)

> Perhaps you could try removing Microsoft updates (one-at-a-time) & seeing if the problem still exists
    > Have you Uninstalled/Reinstalled each program (& tested after each install) to see if there's a conflict between certain programs
    > Have you tried starting up in 'Safe Mode (with network)' & see if you get same problems ?? - if seemily OK , try disabling 'startups' then bringin each back one @ a time until fault(s) reappear

You say you scanned for virus - what about Malware/Spyware ?? - use Spybot/Adaware/Malwarebyte Antimalware to see if there's anything there

Also the thing about 'System Restore' is that is seems to 'restore' missing items but doesn't always remove existing items, in particular registry entries, so it could be a corrupt registry entry that's the problem - finding it thought is very tricky.

9. JPdensetsu
    OP

Taiwan
    It didn't work Antoligy, I installed Google Chrome, deleted Firefox 3. It's still doesn't work. I'm gonna try kermitfrog's tips.

10. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    A friend of mine had the same problem with messenger, it would crash all the time when he tried starting it up. In the end it had something to do with his anti-virus. Once he deleted the anti-virus it would work fine, and when he re-installed the anti-virus the problem had gone.

11. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    What security softwares (antivirus, firewall, antispyware, any security/privacy related) do you use? Check if their support forums don't have questions similar to yours.

12. moodswinger

Member moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Yeah, that kind of thing happened to my sister's laptop. She can't connect to the internet at all. All she did was to remove the antivirus software she was using and presto! It turned out that the antivirus software messed up some of the computer settings.

13. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    I googled error code and it appears to be "The remote procedure call failed"
    There were a RPC exploit few years back but I believe it was fixed on SP2.
    Perhaps RPC service was disabled for some reason. Try Start->Run-> services.msc
    find "remote procedure call" (it will be in your language) if it's stopped start it.