Trouble with the R button

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Mav180, Sep 6, 2008.

Sep 6, 2008

Trouble with the R button by Mav180 at 1:53 AM (1,055 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Mav180
    OP

Newcomer Mav180 Member

United States
    My DS lite is having some R button issues. It works probably around 1/20 times but I have to press down REALLY hard. This has happened to me before (with a launch phat ds) except it was with both L and R. I tried to fix it then and replace the case, but I had no idea what I was doing and the only guide I could find online was a spanish one and now my launch phat ds is in pieces[yeah, I still have them]). I'm wondering, since the problem is probably being caused by the spring, should I open it up and fix it? I don't want to lose this ds too. Is there a way where I can check if the problem is the spring or not without opening it up? Thanks in advance.

2. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Blow in the gap of your shoulder buttons. Chances are you probably put it in places where dust can get in through the gaps (ex. your pockets). Keep blowing it and it'll eventually work again. Happened to me before, but the solution was simple.

3. Mav180
    OP

Newcomer Mav180 Member

United States
    It worked like a charm! Wow, and here I thought I would have to open the thing up. Thanks!

4. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I have the same problem however all the blowing in the world didnt help

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    nintendo wanted over 80 bucks to just look at my ds with my R button started to get hard to press. if you pull it apart there is a small gap between the R button and the power led. you can hold the plastic tube end of a can of compressed air right up to it and give it a few squirts. i had to do it about 3 or 5 times before my R button was fixed. from my research before and after i found out that the micro switches used in the shoulder buttons are VERY sensitive to dust. a tiny microscopic bit can cause the button to fail. if spraying up into that tiny gap/hole doesn't fix it, pick up a tri-wing screwdriver for .99 cents (all over, but try deal extreme) and take it apart. this is ofcourse assuming you are off warrenty? a few squirts of air in the open ds right at the micro switch should fix your problem. if it doesn't then perhaps it needs to be replaced after all. i have found a few guides on how to do it, so just google. you can buy the switches online for 5-20$ depending...

-another world