Trimming

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by barnsleyfan, Nov 22, 2008.

1. barnsleyfan
    OP

barnsleyfan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2008
    Had my DSTT and Acekard for a few weeks now, and looking to go to the next step of Trimming. Have used the search facility and find many references to 2 utilities - ROMINATOR and NDSTOKYOTRIM.

My question is what essentially is the difference between the two since i don't know which one i need (perhaps I need both). Currently, i just have one folder of '.rar' files on my computer. When i want to put some NDS files on my microsd card I just use 7-zip to unzip the .rar file directly to my microsd card. I don't bother changing names etc - they just appears as 2955 - game name (E) etc etc on my card. I now realise that there is possibly a lot of wasted space on my 2GB card.

What are the pros and cons of ROMINATOR and NDSTOKYOTRIM.

I have yet to work out a strategy for storing the games on my hard drive (or external drive or DVD). As mentioned above they are stuck in a single folder on my pc sorted by release ID.

Is it better to have them unzipped on my hard drive ?
    Is it better to have them trimmed on my hard drive ?

Finally, possibly not the correct forum for this point but on the Acekard website it says
    'Built in "Trimming" Function
    The Acekard 2 has a “Trimming” Function built in. When you copy a file in the Micro SD , the Acekard 2. will automatically trim any un-necessary data in a file.
    What does this mean - do you have to use the acekard software to copy a file from the sd card back to the sd card and the resulting file will be trimmed, and then delete the original ?

TIA

2. barnsleyfan
    OP

barnsleyfan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2008
    can anyone tell me the main diffs between ndstokyotrim and rominator, as i don't know which one to use. I don't use any ROM management software so am wondering if rominator is the way to go.

Thanks

3. gratefulbuddy

gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    on the wheel
    Why not try both and see which you like more?

EDIT: Or look at the threads for each. Or read the readmes contained with both.

4. barnsleyfan
    OP

barnsleyfan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2008
    Must admit i found the length of the threads a little intimidating and was hoping someone would give a basic summary. I'm always wary of installing software that i don't know much about in case it messes up my system or adds spyware etc.

Looks like i will have to bite the bullet since noone is helping!

5. BrianTokyo

BrianTokyo NDSTokyoTrim Dev.

Jun 28, 2007
    Rominator: I don't use it myself, but afaik it's more like a manager for your roms, which (I think) also has some trimming function. I think it's multi-platform so it might be a little heavier/slower than a dedicated application for a specific system.

NDSTokyoTrim: this app is purposely for trimming nds/gba roms. It's extremelly fast and the most accurate to date at trimming exactly what needs to be trimmed, making sure wi-fi enabled games remain playable and also checking for brickers (viruses) in the process. It is a single exe file and doesn't need to be installed or any extra DLL files. It handles zip/rar/7zip and nds/gba roms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDSTokyoTrim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice