Hacking Trimming

barnsleyfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Had my DSTT and Acekard for a few weeks now, and looking to go to the next step of Trimming. Have used the search facility and find many references to 2 utilities - ROMINATOR and NDSTOKYOTRIM.

My question is what essentially is the difference between the two since i don't know which one i need (perhaps I need both). Currently, i just have one folder of '.rar' files on my computer. When i want to put some NDS files on my microsd card I just use 7-zip to unzip the .rar file directly to my microsd card. I don't bother changing names etc - they just appears as 2955 - game name (E) etc etc on my card. I now realise that there is possibly a lot of wasted space on my 2GB card.

What are the pros and cons of ROMINATOR and NDSTOKYOTRIM.

I have yet to work out a strategy for storing the games on my hard drive (or external drive or DVD). As mentioned above they are stuck in a single folder on my pc sorted by release ID.

Is it better to have them unzipped on my hard drive ?
Is it better to have them trimmed on my hard drive ?

Finally, possibly not the correct forum for this point but on the Acekard website it says
'Built in "Trimming" Function
The Acekard 2 has a “Trimming” Function built in. When you copy a file in the Micro SD , the Acekard 2. will automatically trim any un-necessary data in a file.
What does this mean - do you have to use the acekard software to copy a file from the sd card back to the sd card and the resulting file will be trimmed, and then delete the original ?

TIA

barnsleyfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone tell me the main diffs between ndstokyotrim and rominator, as i don't know which one to use. I don't use any ROM management software so am wondering if rominator is the way to go.

Thanks

barnsleyfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gratefulbuddy said:
Why not try both and see which you like more?

EDIT: Or look at the threads for each. Or read the readmes contained with both.

Must admit i found the length of the threads a little intimidating and was hoping someone would give a basic summary. I'm always wary of installing software that i don't know much about in case it messes up my system or adds spyware etc.

Looks like i will have to bite the bullet since noone is helping!

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Rominator: I don't use it myself, but afaik it's more like a manager for your roms, which (I think) also has some trimming function. I think it's multi-platform so it might be a little heavier/slower than a dedicated application for a specific system.

NDSTokyoTrim: this app is purposely for trimming nds/gba roms. It's extremelly fast and the most accurate to date at trimming exactly what needs to be trimmed, making sure wi-fi enabled games remain playable and also checking for brickers (viruses) in the process. It is a single exe file and doesn't need to be installed or any extra DLL files. It handles zip/rar/7zip and nds/gba roms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDSTokyoTrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Ah shit, here we go again. I ain't represented Grove Street in five years, but the...