ROM Hack Trim vs Super Trim

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an old 3ds xl and am going to use a gateway card with ultra 3.0.4 soon. I'm looking to trim the games but can anyone tell me the differences between trim and super trim, particularly the issues

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Just use cia files instead. They're trimmed by default.

well, not 'trimmed by default' - but yes they don't have their size padded to fit on a flash chip :)

but to actually answer the question... :) supertrim trims the update partition as well as the rom. (?) - i think.
anyway, basically no issues i think at all with trimming, but with supertrim it can cause problems on card2 games?
just some info, i'm sure someone else will help too :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thanks for the info! :D
But if he's aiming to save up space the safest and fastest solution would be to use cia files instead of ROM'S.

sure, but if they are trimmed as much as they can be i guess they are pretty much the same size...? surely very close at least.
plus you don't have to wait super long to install them with devmenu (although you can put lots of an sd card and do it while you sleep)
i don't like that i need 2 gb free on my sd card to install a 1gb game, since the cia takes up 1gb, then the installed takes up 1gb. (sure i can delete the cia afterwards)
personally, for eshop games i use the cia if available, and for retail carts i use .3ds rom with gw :)

whatever choice, the games are still fun :D

Reactions: mitpat

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the all the information, I've had a play around with it and it seems that trim saves about 30gb in my current collection and super trim only saves an extra 2gb. For the issues super trim cause I've decided just to use trim with .3ds files.

The reason I'm not using .cia is because I already have a sandisk 128gb micro sd that I plan to use in the gateway card.

Reactions: cearp

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
There aren't any issues with trimming/super trimming except for Card2 games(Pokemon and other games)
But there are a few exceptions, but generally you should be fine.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i think it is nice to be able to move the gw to a different 3ds and play the games there, like a friend can use my gw card with my games on it, with cia we would have to install the actual cia etc. - especially for card2 games where the save is stored in the rom, i can move the gw cart to any of my 3ds and play my same pokemon game + the save :)

mitpat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think it is nice to be able to move the gw to a different 3ds and play the games there, like a friend can use my gw card with my games on it, with cia we would have to install the actual cia etc. - especially for card2 games where the save is stored in the rom, i can move the gw cart to any of my 3ds and play my same pokemon game + the save :)

Now I think about it if gateway ever support the newer 3ds xl then this will also make it a lot easier moving over.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Now I think about it if gateway ever support the newer 3ds xl then this will also make it a lot easier moving over.

yes, since you won't need to export all the saves with savadatafiler etc :) i didn't think about that too, nice idea

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I recommend 3DS to CIA. NDSTokyoTrim doesn't seem to get updated any further(although it's been a long time since I last checked)

You can find it on the maxconsole forum.

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I recommend 3DS to CIA. NDSTokyoTrim doesn't seem to get updated any further(although it's been a long time since I last checked)

You can find it on the maxconsole forum.

Na, I don't prefer it because it takes space of sd card whereas 3ds roms take space on micro sd card.

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
The name is just misleading, it has super/trimming feature. And it supports Card2 games too.

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
3DS to CIA :P It's an all-around tool. That's why it has such a misleading name. But it's probably the best and simplest one for trimming.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i personally don't think it can get much easier than rom_tool - if you are happy with command line applications :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i personally don't think it can get much easier than rom_tool - if you are happy with command line applications :)

Reactions: KJ1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr